Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

Mark13

22 hours ago, JSngry said:

It has the lots of good pictures too, right? David Weiss promised that it would, right here on this board.

I do think there might be a degree of hesitancy because of the previous 3 CD set, that had a "wow" factor then. People are probably wondering, well, if it's all so good, why didn't they do THIS back then? Fair question, and obvious answers. And the whole VINYL!!!! angle was very off-putting, imo. The CD option was not put out there right away, nor was the price point.

But hell, it was a great band, on fire for sure. No reason to avoid it, even if the immediate WOW factor has weakened over time and because of circumstances. I wanted to make sure that I got it to have on hand when the time came to get into it. That time is forthcoming, but it is not immediate. Same thing with the Mingus Bremen set, had to have it, got it right away, preordered, but didn't crak it open until last week. GREAT music there, too, but...no sense of urgency to hear it RIGHT NOW for me. just...soon enough.

Having said that...if you like the LP iteration and haven't fully immersed in the 3CD set, then there's no reason not to get this right away. This was a band to reckon with, for sure.

The photos are fantastic. It's a beautiful set. I'm so grateful that they released all this material and gave it the treatment it deserved. 

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

BUT WHERES CEORA?  once again ceora gets shafted, the discog says they have a partial take but thats not on the box, no? 

According to the booklet "Ceora" had a one minute length due to the tape running out so they did not include that extremely truncated piece.

1 minute ago, jazzbo said:

According to the booklet "Ceora" had a one minute length due to the tape running out so they did not include that extremely truncated piece.

But why? I kept 40 second performances of "Honky Tonk" for the Percy thing. They obviously have a different understanding of "complete" than I do. ;)

:g

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

so they DO have it?   And just sat on it.   one minute.  omg.  

fortunately the both/and sessions include it

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

I plan to get this in a couple of weeks after I make it through some backlog.

I have a question about the packaging - is this the size of multiple CD jewel cases (how many roughly?) like the previous 3-CD set or is it a big-ass Mosaic-style box? I want to figure out if it can fit on my CD shelves or I have to plan to keep it with the Mosaic boxes. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, bertrand said:

I plan to get this in a couple of weeks after I make it through some backlog.

I have a question about the packaging - is this the size of multiple CD jewel cases (how many roughly?) like the previous 3-CD set or is it a big-ass Mosaic-style box? I want to figure out if it can fit on my CD shelves or I have to plan to keep it with the Mosaic boxes. Thanks!

circa 5.5" x 5.25" x 1.5".

OK, I bit on the CD set  after listening to a few tracks from the old 3-CD set. The music is so fresh and electric that if they've improved the sound  quality a fair amount, I tell myself that I've got to hear it. In particular, I'm hoping to hear Roker more clearly. He really had the pots on, as they used to say.

1 hour ago, trane_fanatic said:

BN site now sold out of the vinyl edition. That was quick. Don't think popmarket, amazon or similar places are going to get any more considering there are only 2K made. Now, it's probably gonna go for ridiculous prices from the usual suspects. 

I don't believe anything Blue Note/Universal says about limited editions. It's not a licensed recording. They'll be limited to how many they can sell until they stop selling.

8 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Bennie Maupin was, and I assume/hope still is, a fine player -- out of Rollins, at least at the time of this recording, but with an individual twist.

It kinda seemed to me at the time that he was being "groomed" by Blue Note, he started getting meaningful sideman dates in kind of a "Joe Henderson" role.

Gotta wonder what might have come from that if the label had not have gone where it did.

Of course, once he got the gig with Herbie...

But to your point, yeah, Bennie Maupin!

On 24-8-2021 at 11:21 AM, sambrasa said:

How does the box feel, is it sturdy enough to mainstain structural integrity in harsh environment of postal service handling? Amazon tends to use flimsy packing.

I ordered through Amazon.de and my set is expected to ship within the next few days.But they had it in a record store I visited today and the box is sturdier than the Mosaic Selects. In size and casing it's very similar to the Sonny Stitt ('Stitt's Bits') set that Concord released in 2006. 

Edited by Mark13

On 8/24/2021 at 5:43 PM, Larry Kart said:

OK, I bit on the CD set  after listening to a few tracks from the old 3-CD set. The music is so fresh and electric that if they've improved the sound  quality a fair amount, I tell myself that I've got to hear it. In particular, I'm hoping to hear Roker more clearly. He really had the pots on, as they used to say.

Not much you can do about the drums I'm afraid. 4 track recording with the drums all on one track so there is not much one could do about the balance of the kit or panning or whatnot. 

12 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Bennie Maupin was, and I assume/hope still is, a fine player -- out of Rollins, at least at the time of this recording, but with an individual twist.

In the booklet I'm glad that they asked Jaime Branch to contribute. Her brief comment was particularly nice.

He is still a great player. I hear a lot of Joe Henderson in him on these recordings....

On 8/23/2021 at 1:01 PM, jazzbo said:

More precisely, they turned the tape machine off the minute they heard the first notes of the melody of Ceora. Saving tape I assume and not recording a tune they knew they would not use for the recording. 

On 8/23/2021 at 8:11 PM, JSngry said:

David Weiss, a man of his word!!!!

On a more serious not, I think Blue Note maybe screwed the pooch on this one by leading with the LP Set angle and not making it clear that there was also going to be a CD version. That price tag for the LP set...I mean...if the want old fucks like us to get excited about the content of a product, it might help to have "folks like us" get totally put off by the format, you know? We can help build that buzz becuase we already know this shit, ok? People you're trying to build a buzz with about a 50 Bajillion Dollar LP product for somebody they probably know of by reputation and/or old people talk,,...good luck on that.

Now David Weiss will probably come in and say hey, the LP set is sold out already, weve got CD inventory to last until the end of the decade and beyond. :g

He also did the Grant Green & Elvin Jones Lighthouse records, but on those he is also credited with remixing as well as recording. Perhaps relevantly, those are also George Butler productions whereas the Morgan side was Francis Wolff's baby.

Hey, the LP set is sold out already ;)

I'm told it shipped sold out. As I said months ago, I believe the vinyl craze got this made and a reasonably priced CD set is the byproduct of this phenomena and the least they could do for the rest of us. I guess the CD sales will tell them how much real interest there was in this set in the long run and yes, I assume they can do another LP pressing run down the road at some point.