Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

Mark13

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been listening to it on my headphones at the Y this morning.  So far it's been nothing but great music and great sound.  Reminded me of how exciting the music seemed when I started hearing it 60 years ago.  (I know this music is only 50 years old, but it's not that different from what I used to hear in the early '60s.)

Edited by medjuck

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

George (Dan) is getting upset!

:g

I did not anticipate quite so many glowing reviews. I know - I'll break down and buy it, then choose my favorite performances for my own personal 3 disc set. 

George (Dan) will be glad he did that!

3 hours ago, mjzee said:

1970 was certainly a good year for Harold Mabern, wasn't it?  Not only this Morgan release, but also Roy Brooks's "Understanding."  Maybe 2021 is a good year for Mabern!

Harold Mabern died in 2019, aged 83.

[edit] Just noticed Kevin's reply.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people on the Hoffman board complained about the sound being compressed, too loud and too much 'in your face', compared to the earlier 2LP-set and 3CD-set. I don't have the new set, so I can't comment. I'm still on the fence, but those comments make me cautious. Hmm...

Edited by J.A.W.

2 hours ago, J.A.W. said:

Harold Mabern died in 2019, aged 83.

[edit] Just noticed Kevin's reply.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some people on the Hoffman board complained about the sound being compressed, too loud and too much 'in your face', compared to the earlier 2LP-set and 3CD-set. I don't have the new set, so I can't comment. I'm still on the fence, but those comments make me cautious. Hmm...

I can only speak for the LP set (and I understand that the CD mastering is somewhat different) but I can only say that this new version sounds far superior and in greater clarity all round. 

Just now, sidewinder said:

I can only speak for the LP set (and I understand that the CD mastering is somewhat different) but I can only say that this new version sounds far superior and in greater clarity all round. 

The comments (compression, too loud) were about the CD-set, which has indeed a different mastering, done by Robert Vosgien if I'm not mistaken.

49 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, ‘in your face’ is a quality I would also offer up for the sound on the LP version but in a good way. Has presence and immediacy.

Not if the dynamic range is reduced by compression compared to the earlier versions, at least not for me. I've heard parts of the set on free Spotify, but judging the sound quality that way is not a good idea, given the limited sound quality on Spotify, so I really can't say anything about it. I guess I'll have to get the set and see/hear if there's any truth in the comments. Anyway, the music is great.