Favorite Discovery 2020

Dan Gould

Two discoveries that have delighted me completely.

I got the Kid Ory Mosaic box in January and have played it tons of times. I had a {Quadromania} box before and there's a decent amount of good stuff in it, but his Verve records from the turn of the fifties are just beautiful - so straightforward and swinging!

Hadja Kouyate. I found her in March, while doing a search at Amazon for records on Syllart, and have bought all I found:

Manding-ko - 2001 (Frikyiwa)

Tomassere - 2003 (Syllart)

Yilimalo - 2003 (Frikyiwa)

Touro Touro - 2008 (Hadja Kouyate)

A korossi - 2014 (Hadja Kouyate)

Aye Yafa - 2019 (Hadja Kouyate)

Stunningly clear and firm voice. She's married to Amado Sodia, another Guinean singer and bolon player.

MG

1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Two discoveries that have delighted me completely.

I got the Kid Ory Mosaic box in January and have played it tons of times. I had a {Quadromania} box before and there's a decent amount of good stuff in it, but his Verve records from the turn of the fifties are just beautiful - so straightforward and swinging!

Ory + Red Allen = YESSSS!!! 👌

Yeah, I like 'em both on those two albums.

And way back as a lad, I always admired the sleeve of 'Song of the wanderer'. 

R-7476803-1451387559-8411.jpeg.jpg

Though I can't say that the unissued album of him singing traditional French children's songs does much for me. Good idea, but he was no Harry Belafonte.

MG

The vocals albums William Parker has released. I largely ignored them because of the vocals, but I have to admit i was missing out. This music is marvelous. Raining on the Moon is particularly a great group but even the For Those Who Are, Still albums are excellent. Will pick up Voices Fall From The Sky soon I hope.