Joe Henderson Blue Note 1963-1966

Brad

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only three previously unissued alternates...but only 5 CDs = $85.00...sounds like a Last Change decisioning for me...who is doing the notes? A really good book could persuade me to jump sooner. A basic track-bytrack color commentary won't do it...tell me more about Joe Henderson, not Joe Henderson's records, I already know about those.

Still....really not a particularly inspiring set choice.

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not sure I understand "complete" as it is applied here?

Yeah, no Basra tracks. Nothing from Idle Moments; Solid; Pax, Am I Blue; and really a slew of others from '63-'66 as identified in this thread title...and there's no date range on the official cover, so maybe that changed? Otherwise, "Some Joe Henderson Blue Note Sessions" would be more fitting...

Obviously some of these have already been issued by Mosaic on other, OOP sets, so the licensing troll strikes again. 

Edited by Dub Modal

15 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Not even original tapes for remastering?

Mastered from hi-res files of the original analog masters by Malcolm Addey, Malcolm Addey Studio, NYC

24 bit technology was utilized at all stages of the production of this Mosaic release.

I'll say this: They did the same thing with the Mobley '63-'70 set and the songs sound the best I've ever heard them. Addey really does some excellent work. 

Which, btw; that Mobley set doesn't show up on their OOP sets page. The box set list stops with the Savoy set...so that's either a case of not updating that page (very likely), or the rest of their sets after the Savoy aren't technically OOP, right? I'm certain it has to be a case of the former. 

Just saw this and just ordered. Thanks.

This was an easy decision for me as I did not have any of this material in any other format. The only Joe Henderson I have is The Milestone Years CD box and a few of the recent Blue Note 80 or Blue Note Classic reissue lps so this will make a nice addition to my Joe Henderson collection.

Edited by pglbook

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Yeah, no Basra tracks. Nothing from Idle Moments; Solid; Pax, Am I Blue; and really a slew of others from '63-'66 as identified in this thread title...and there's no date range on the official cover, so maybe that changed? Otherwise, "Some Joe Henderson Blue Note Sessions" would be more fitting...

Obviously some of these have already been issued by Mosaic on other, OOP sets, so the licensing troll strikes again. 

Seems to be the complete Joe Henderson leader Blue Note recordings plus everything he did with Dorham plus everything composed by Henderson for other leaders during the same period. 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Mastered from hi-res files of the original analog masters by Malcolm Addey, Malcolm Addey Studio, NYC

24 bit technology was utilized at all stages of the production of this Mosaic release.

Oh, so this is going to be vinyl, then?

20 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Seems to be the complete Joe Henderson leader Blue Note recordings plus everything he did with Dorham plus everything composed by Henderson for other leaders during the same period. 

Good call. 

I'm on the fence. I love this material and I know the sound is going to be stellar; but I have everything there except Page One (not sure why I've never picked that one up) and the Blue Mitchell track. 

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

But also see this under the "Audio Quality" tab in "The Complete Definitive Package" section:

SOUND QUALITY

Mosaic has gone back to Rudy Van Gelder’s original analog tapes of these sessions and transferred without artificial processing in 192kHz/24 bit for fidelity that far surpasses any previous LP or CD pressing. The stunning sound faithfully reproduces Van Gelder’s recordings and is as close to being in the studio listening to the original masters as one can get.

Edited by Ron S

29 minutes ago, Ron S said:

But also see this under the "Audio Quality" tab in "The Complete Definitive Package" section:

If Mosaic=Universal/Blue Note (who digitized all the tapes in 192/24 a couple of years ago) maybe it does not contradict the first statement. They were all released as hi-downloads (I think), but it doesn't say that the fidelity surpasses any previous download, just "LP or CD pressing"... 

In the Gazzette they say:

“The sound far surpasses any earlier CDs, removing any trace of muddiness, and rivals the original LPs in warmth, range and sound. This is as close to being in the studio listening to the original masters as one can get.”

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

These sessions were transfered to digital by Bernie Grundman within the last decade. So yes to original tapes. Just a different mastering engineer in Malcolm Addey.

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Which, btw; that Mobley set doesn't show up on their OOP sets page. The box set list stops with the Savoy set...so that's either a case of not updating that page (very likely), or the rest of their sets after the Savoy aren't technically OOP, right? I'm certain it has to be a case of the former. 

I pointed out to Scott Wenzel last week that some more recent sets are missing from their OOP list and he told me they're behind with the updating. It's not a priority.

12 minutes ago, J.A.W. said:

I pointed out to Scott Wenzel last week that some more recent sets are missing from their OOP list and he told me they're behind with the updating. It's not a priority.

Thanks for the insight. 

Shopkeepers not caring about the storefront is never a good sign. Hope this set and the Armstrong set deliver them some revenue at least. 

Recommendation sought:

Leaving everything else aside and focusing just on the sound-quality claims for this set, should I get this yes or no considering the following facts about what I have on LP.

1. I have original New York stereo pressings of "Inner Urge" and "Mode for Joe" -- both in VG+ or better condition.

2. I have the recent BN 80/Classic reissues of "In 'n Out" and "Page One."

3. I have a 1980s DMM of "Our Thing" (hangs head in shame), but am hopeful that in due time that will get reissued in the ongoing BN Classic in due time.

Now turning from the sound quality, one additional recommendation sought based on content of the set and this fact:

I have none of these records on CD, so I do not own the four alternate takes that have come out previously; but I have listened to these alternates on streaming services. .

Whaddya think?

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Bob Blumenthal?

Yes. 

I dunno man...for me, it's like, I know this music. I don't think there's anything left for me to hear in it (audio-wise). "Sound quality", maybe a difference, but, hey, I'm a longtime married man and have long ago learned that different is not what you get, it's what you give, so I might not be the right person to ask about this. It's not like you're going to hear any new instruments or anything, it's still the same music and you know it pretty well, I'm thinking.

Still, hey, if you get the CDs (and these may be the ones to get if you don't have any - and, really how does THAT happen to a guy like you?!?!?!?!)), you can save your vinyl and not have to worry about wearing it out by listening to it. Collectors (and your wallet/estate!) will thank you for this, maybe.

As for the highly competent Bob Blumenthal doing these notes, uh....ok.