Brad

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/28/2021 at 7:27 PM, Brad said:

Apparently, this was an idea that Michael Cuscuna had but just an idea. No work has taken place.  

I mentioned this set to Scott in an email and he said "the Lee Morgan is not a definite." So that would seem to confirm the above.

gregmo

1 hour ago, Bob_Bobson said:

Just got an email that my Henderson was shipped to the Warehouse.

Me too. As I said elsewhere I think if they ship it within the next couple of weeks this will be the shortest time between an informal  announcement  of a set and it's actual shipping.  (Well maybe it was faster in the earlier days.) 

This might interest EU residents who are thinking of getting the Joe Henderson Mosaic: just got a message from JazzMessengers, Barcelona, that they're expecting the JH set next week, probably Wednesday. No price was mentioned.

9 hours ago, BFrank said:

Been listening to it. Sounds great! 

I realized that I have a lot more of these tracks than I thought, but that's OK. It's nice to have all of them all collected in one box set and remastered by Malcolm Addey

I agree.

I received this box a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. The music is great and the sound quality is fantastic. The only things I had from this box were copies of Una Mas and In 'N Out from the recent Blue Note 80 lp reissue series so most of this music was new to me. It has already become one of my favorite Mosaic box sets and one to which I will frequently return.

For fans of Mode For Joe just receiving this box, what do folks here think of the ‘new’ 9:29 alternate take of the title track?

At least it’ll’ve been new to most buying this box, unless you happened to already have the 2015 Japanese SHM reissue — the only other place it’s appeared.

Well it's very nice, I haven't studied it but it's a great addition. This is probably my LEAST favorite album in the set, but it is nice to have it in other than RVG Edition mastering--the Addey from the digital transfers is very nice.

On the Hoffman forum a member Dan Steele had this to say--he's a bit fan of the album:

My Joe Henderson box arrived. First play was of course the Mode for Joe alt take, I was like a kid in a candy store for 9 1/2 min, sitting slack jawed. I know every note of the original as its my favorite song ever so to hear a completely different Joe solo right out of the gate was disorienting but also exhilarating. There will be some side by side plays of those 2 takes in the near future! CD sounds wonderful and I like how they put the alt takes at the end. Disc 5 is Mode for Joe complete (first six tracks) with 2 alt tracks (Black and title track). Seems like they did the best they could with track sequencing not chopping up the albums across CDs. Really nice 15 page booklet too, like all Mosaic boxes. Very happy with it!

20 hours ago, jazzbo said:

First play was of course the Mode for Joe alt take, I was like a kid in a candy store for 9 1/2 min, sitting slack jawed. I know every note of the original as its my favorite song ever so to hear a completely different Joe solo right out of the gate was disorienting but also exhilarating. There will be some side by side plays of those 2 takes in the near future!

Honestly, that’s kinda how I felt listing to it for the very first time too.

Mode For Joe was one of my very first 4 jazz albums (ever!) over 30 years ago (and my first ever Blue Note) — so even if I haven’t spun it in a few years, I quickly remember I still know it backwards and forwards.

I don’t want to overstate this to the point of hyperbole, but I really did find the alternate to be a bit of a revelation — especially given how delicate it is, and its almost “through-composed” quality.

Still curious what others here might think.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:15 PM, RiRiIII said:

Waiting for Jazzmessengers to list the box.

I don't know if that'll ever happen. I asked about it a while back (because that's also my preferred route) and was told they had no news from Mosaic regarding it. But that may change quickly. Though I'm also afraid if they sell out through Mosaic maybe nobody else will get their hands on them.

On 23-5-2021 at 4:15 PM, RiRiIII said:

Waiting for Jazzmessengers to list the box. I just played In N' Out ; the the 80th anniv,. vinyl record. Fabulous SQ and amazing record.

3 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I don't know if that'll ever happen. I asked about it a while back (because that's also my preferred route) and was told they had no news from Mosaic regarding it. But that may change quickly. Though I'm also afraid if they sell out through Mosaic maybe nobody else will get their hands on them.

Jazz Messengers' Jorge told me last week they're expecting the Joe Henderson Mosaic this week, probably on or soon after Wednesday, May 26.