Covid vaccination: poll

Covid vaccination: survey  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Are you reporting this back to your health authority?

AZ not yet in use here...what kind of trial/testing did it go through?

I’ll call them when they open, I guess, but this IS a listed side effect. 

As for trials, there seems to be more publicity out there than hard facts about people in my medical category. I accepted the call to go in at short notice. I took a punt. 

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, David Ayers said:

I’ll call them when they open, I guess, but this IS a listed side effect. 

Is this just for AZ or for all  currently available vaccines? Not hearing about it in the US, just the anapalavtic thing. 

Sure hope there is a dilligent data collection apparatus around stuff like this. "Warp Speed" was certainly needed, but... that's where shit begins, should not be where it ends.

I know that when AZ releases results a few months ago there were some issues which I assume they’ve surmounted. The FDA won’t approve the vaccine until they’ve reviewed US data, which is expected to take place in February. Fwiw, AZ has no experience making vaccines. The EMA is supposed to take it up this week. 

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Can we be careful about the whole "lots of healthcare staff are refusing to take it" thing, please?

If you have a replicable source for this sort of thing, please provide it.

Otherwise, "I heard that..." or "somebody told me..." is not really helpful. Proving that somebody said something is one thing, but proving that what they said is really accurate is an altogether different proposition, and is really what is important 

Thanking you all in advance for your consideration because, you know, facts still matter.

Here you go -

New Mexico hospitals: Over a quarter of workers refusing COVID-19 vaccine

Up to 30 percent of medical staff at New Mexico’s largest hospitals have declined to be inoculated for COVID-19, with some waiting to see the side effects in co-workers and others outright refusing the shots, hospital officials said in a joint news conference Tuesday.

The level of resistance among front-line medical workers in Northern New Mexico — the first group eligible for inoculations under the state’s vaccine rollout — is lower than in some areas of the U.S., including parts of Ohio, California and Texas, where more than half of hospital workers have reportedly refused the vaccine.

But it’s a far higher rate than medical officials would prefer.

Edited by jlhoots

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

Is this just for AZ or for all  currently available vaccines? Not hearing about it in the US, just the anapalavtic thing. 

Sure hope there is a dilligent data collection apparatus around stuff like this. "Warp Speed" was certainly needed, but... that's where shit begins, should not be where it ends.

I only checked for AZ, and I only knew that’s the one I was getting when I got there. 

As for the evident haste, I’ve come to the conclusion that they are ‘taking a broad general view’ (in the words William Burroughs puts into the mouths of authoritarian figures). 

Hey, modern civilization allows no room for inconvenience, be it from disease or from a cure of disease. People think that everything should be like Apple, that it should "just work".

Well....

6 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Here you go -

New Mexico hospitals: Over a quarter of workers refusing COVID-19 vaccine

Up to 30 percent of medical staff at New Mexico’s largest hospitals have declined to be inoculated for COVID-19, with some waiting to see the side effects in co-workers and others outright refusing the shots, hospital officials said in a joint news conference Tuesday.

The level of resistance among front-line medical workers in Northern New Mexico — the first group eligible for inoculations under the state’s vaccine rollout — is lower than in some areas of the U.S., including parts of Ohio, California and Texas, where more than half of hospital workers have reportedly refused the vaccine.

But it’s a far higher rate than medical officials would prefer.

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Hey, modern civilization allows no room for inconvenience, be it from disease or from a cure of disease. People think that everything should be like Apple, that it should "just work".

Well....

I don’t think like that. It was just balance of risk, AFAIAC. 

Edited by David Ayers

Not talking about you, David, just life in general these days...I worry about our collective impatience gathering moment at an exponential rate...

3 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

I don’t think like that. It was just balance of risk, AFAIAC. 

3 minutes ago, mjzee said:

If he were appearing on Anderson Cooper's show, I presume he'd write "Excited to talk to Anderson Cooper."

His people should try to book that gig. Seriously. And if not him, then someplace outside of his existing audience. If he's got sound reasoning and data to back it up, he deserves a hearing.

Hell, get on the Chris Wallace Sunday show. That motherfucker don't play!

But the last thing I got time for right now is suspicion-based speculations. Save that shit for Ancient Aliens, please.

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not talking about you, David, just life in general these days...I worry about our collective impatience gathering moment at an exponential rate...

I didn’t think you were but I just wanted to say it for the record!

The objective of the vaccine program is to suppress the virus generally. It does not make you safe just maybe safer. I for one will continue to be as cautious as I was before. AZ vaccine gives maybe only 62% protection on average but even if you have the Pfizer which is claimed to be 95% effective you would not take those odds every time you get on an airplane. 

19 hours ago, David Ayers said:

I’m literally in line at the vaccination centre now and I drove. I’ll let you know if they get me to hang around after I’ve had it. 

Eligibility for the vaccine is a bit of a giveaway as to age, David. I'd always imagined you as a sprightly 39 year old. (Like Jack Benny.)

On 24/01/2021 at 0:59 PM, David Ayers said:

Ha ha. I got it for medical reasons not age, so you’ll have to keep guessing... 😉

Never mind the guessing David, I'm just hoping that, following today's news from Germany, you're under 65! <_<

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/28/germany-recommends-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-not-used-over-65s

Edited by BillF

48 minutes ago, BillF said:

Never mind the guessing David, I'm just hoping that, following today's news from Germany, you're under 65! <_<

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/28/germany-recommends-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-not-used-over-65s

I don’t think they are saying it is ‘unsafe’ over this age range - they just lack the tangible test evidence under their regulatory regime. Arguments for safe products need to be substantiated with valid evidence commensurate with scope per the certification. Like any product safety certification (it will have a Certificate of Conformity detailing the limitations of use). :)

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Well I am under 65...

The German response though does confirm my assumptions about the level and degree of testing. 

Well, we don’t know the specifics of the test evidence sets used by UK and German regulators. These will be specific to each regulatory regime and the way that they are interpreted and the decision criteria/risk tolerability used in each case will differ (and will take into account local norms and legal basis). Personally, I have confidence in our regulator on this matter, if they are concluding that rollout is deemed sufficiently ‘safe’, (taking into account the health benefit gained vs. residual risk and bearing in mind that nothing is 100% ‘safe’).

8 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Well, we don’t know the specifics of the test evidence sets used by UK and German regulators. These will be specific to each regulatory regime and the way that they are interpreted and the decision criteria/risk tolerability used in each case will differ (and will take into account local norms and legal basis). Personally, I have confidence in our regulator on this matter, if they are concluding that rollout is deemed sufficiently ‘safe’, (taking into account the health benefit gained vs. residual risk and bearing in mind that nothing is 100% ‘safe’).

Only very small numbers over 65 were included in the trial. People with many conditions were excluded. The most relevant category is the immunocompromised.