Covid vaccination: poll

Covid vaccination: survey  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/19/2021 at 5:30 PM, JSngry said:

Perhaps the governor can give Publix a call, find out wtf? wrong. I'm sure he knows that Todd Jones guy, maybe even got him his shot himself.

Hell, I bet Todd Jones already got HIS Joe Henderson Mosaic.

And now I am just f-ing infuriated. Last Friday, I am not allowed to register for a shot on a day when my age group would be eligible.

Today, I find out that everybody can register in Florida, even though they won't take everybody until April 5. So when Publix opens the floodgates at 7 am, what are the chances their server crashes/freezes from everybody trying to get in?

55 and obese? Too damn bad.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

And now I am just f-ing infuriated. Last Friday, I am not allowed to register for a shot on a day when my age group would be eligible.

Today, I find out that everybody can register in Florida, even though they won't take everybody until April 5. So when Publix opens the floodgates at 7 am, what are the chances their server crashes/freezes from everybody trying to get in?

55 and obese? Too damn bad.

Sorry to hear that. Hang on in there.

Over here, we are chomping at the bit. Longer journey outings allowable from next week. An enticing prospect after such a long local lockdown.

Edited by sidewinder

Of course, eventually I outran the surplus of people trying to book, but although Hillsborough county appears to still have slots, none at any of the locations I try.

This is because Publix' system is incompetently designed, with no indication of whether a location even has slots until you select it. They can't eliminate locations, you have to search for that needle in the haystack.  That is, after the haystack has blown away and your needle becomes a "chosen" one. For no available slots.

25 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Have to say that our booking system, which is done nationally, seems to have worked very well. The whole thing on the day of jab 1 was extremely well organised and I have jab 2 booked.

Lucky you. For whatever reason we are not part of the national system locally. I got called up by phone for my first shot at 24 hours notice. That was none weeks ago - nothing about the second shot. I’ll believe I’m getting it only when it goes into my arm. 

13 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

There's actually a Publix boycott going on for reasons unrelated to Covid that I recently read about. Their pharmacy disorganization is kind of surprising though. Hope there's some accessible alternatives (dept of public health maybe?) that you discover and can take advantage of. 

I looked that up, and did I read right that the governor granted Publix "an exclusive vaccine distribution contract"?

Then, uh, hellyeah the governor needs to be asking wtf? Publix, my good friend and valuable constituent Daniel Gould is kinda having a bit of a fucktime getting y'all to get him his shot, get it together, you frog hiding creeps.

39 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Have to say that our booking system, which is done nationally, seems to have worked very well. The whole thing on the day of jab 1 was extremely well organised and I have jab 2 booked.

Sadly, it hasn't worked well for me. With my first vaccination on 21st December I was given an appointment for a second jab 21 days later in keeping with the manufacturer's requirements. This was subsequently cancelled by phone at short notice (unlawfully, as I'd consented to treatment involving two vaccines 21 days apart) and replaced with an assurance that I would receive another jab within 3 months. In recent communications from my medical centre this has now become "approximately 12 weeks". Finally, an invitation has arrived to attend on 1st April (should this particular date worry me?), some 14 1/2 weeks after the first vaccination.:(

Sorry to hear that. Relatives of mine have had the two Pfizer jabs completed within the planned period (and one of these is Up North) so that doesn’t sound at all typical.

Colleagues of mine who are eligible have also all had at least one jab and I’ve not heard any of them indicate problems, which I have to say is pretty remarkable.

32 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Lucky you. For whatever reason we are not part of the national system locally. I got called up by phone for my first shot at 24 hours notice. That was none weeks ago - nothing about the second shot. I’ll believe I’m getting it only when it goes into my arm. 

Booked online via the NHS site - as soon as I selected the date for the first shot they offered me a booking slot for the 2nd. Slots were offered by day and to a resolution of 10 min intervals.

Edited by sidewinder

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Sorry to hear that. Relatives of mine have had the two Pfizer jabs completed within the planned period so that doesn’t sound typical.

On the contrary, it was your relatives' experience that was untypical. About a million people were affected by the government's decision to expand the 21 day gap to 3 months against the advice of Pfizer, the BMA and the WHO. Your relatives may have been beneficiaries of some local doctors' refusal to obey a government instruction which risked involving them in unprofessional conduct.

Just now, BillF said:

On the contrary, it was your relatives' experience that was untypical. About a million people were affected by the government's decision to expand the 21 day gap to 3 months against the advice of Pfizer, the BMA and the WHO. Your relatives may have been beneficiaries of some local doctors' refusal to obey a government instruction which risked involving them in unprofessional conduct.

Nonsense.

31 minutes ago, BillF said:

All covered in reputable news sources.

Yep, my parents have both had their second dose postponed.  I work with older people and I only know a handful who have had the two doses within the timescale recommended by the developers.

Having said that, I do agree that the government made the correct call (for the first time in this whole pandemic) to get as many first doses into as many arms as possible and not because it meant I got mine.

52 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Sorry to hear that. Relatives of mine have had the two Pfizer jabs completed within the planned period (and one of these is Up North) so that doesn’t sound at all typical.

Colleagues of mine who are eligible have also all had at least one jab and I’ve not heard any of them indicate problems, which I have to say is pretty remarkable.

Booked online via the NHS site - as soon as I selected the date for the first shot they offered me a booking slot for the 2nd. Slots were offered by day and to a resolution of 10 min intervals.

When I booked my first dose, after contact from my GP, there was no option to book the second.  The same for my partner. I was told at the centre that administered my first dose that my GP would be in touch about the second dose.

I think the latest 'band' of beneficiaries are experiencing a different booking system to earlier bands who were largely called into their appointment by GPs. The 50+ group seem to have a more open self-booking system made available to them.  Although I suspect there's considerable local variation.

No matter what, it's been a very impressive effort (and no coincidence that no cronyism has been involved in the granting of contracts for the process)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I looked that up, and did I read right that the governor granted Publix "an exclusive vaccine distribution contract"?

Then, uh, hellyeah the governor needs to be asking wtf? Publix, my good friend and valuable constituent Daniel Gould is kinda having a bit of a fucktime getting y'all to get him his shot, get it together, you frog hiding creeps.

I don't know when any "exclusive" contract ever existed; Walgreens is also distributing, I think CVS and Winn Dixie too. I've been watching Walgreens website but they keep showing "no vaccines within 20 miles of your zip code for the next four days" or some such shit.

Interesting to watch the end of today's open registration for Publix. Seems as though NE FL (Jacksonville basically) and Leon County (capitol city Tallahassee) in the panhandle were the laggards for signing up. How come? Especially Jax, Duval county is quite large I can't imagine why they didn't have similar demand as south Florida or the Tampa metro area. Unless they actually just got more of it, so while other counties got booked, Duval and a couple of other counties in the NE still had availability?

I am pretty much reconciled to the fact that I won't be jabbed before the end of April ... part of which I admit is the fact that I am not availing myself of every possible option anywhere.  I can't take time off work for lengthy car rides and I am not interested in driving to the football stadium for an all-day wait.  I continue to wear the mask and hardly venture out, so ... whatever.

14 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

I’ll only be impressed if second vaccinations are delivered on time and work properly at the extended interval. NHS staff were given their second at three weeks, which clearly indicates that they don’t fully believe in the 12 week interval. 

I'm not sure it necessarily does.  It could indicate that NHS staff were readily available, on site with the vaccine stores and therefore it made sense to double-dose them.  However, given this government's woeful record I'm also awaiting a second-dose cock up.

4 hours ago, David Ayers said:

I will also be interested to see if the second shots are of the same type as the first, which their rules allow despite zero evidence that it works properly. 

At least they seem to have got that right. My medical centre says it will be Pfizer again.

I also see that the centre is taking steps to ensure that the second dose is delivered within 12 weeks by asking those patients receiving the first vaccine later than me at a different location to notify the location at the 10 weeks stage. 

Doesn't help me, Mr 14 1/2 Weeks, though.:(

Edited by BillF