News of the Day

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There’s an anecdote about the late humorist/author/humorist Lewis Grizzard back during his days at the University of Georgia. While a student, he worked for the sports department at one of the daily papers in Athens. His editor had hit the bottle a little during the day, so he submitted a story about the upcoming football game. Robert “Happy” Dicks (who is now a retired neurosurgeon) was a star running back for Georgia, but he was injured and unable to play that week against South Carolina. Sure enough, the editor overlooked the title and the paper published the piece, “Dawgs Play Cocks With Dicks Out.”

19 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

There’s an anecdote about the late humorist/author/humorist Lewis Grizzard back during his days at the University of Georgia. While a student, he worked for the sports department at one of the daily papers in Athens. His editor had hit the bottle a little during the day, so he submitted a story about the upcoming football game. Robert “Happy” Dicks (who is now a retired neurosurgeon) was a star running back for Georgia, but he was injured and unable to play that week against South Carolina. Sure enough, the editor overlooked the title and the paper published the piece, “Dawgs Play Cocks With Dicks Out.”

Is everyone aware that South Carolina sports teams are the Gamecocks? (Or as we said at Florida State, the Lamecocks.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Catching catfish by hand. 

It's a thing. I understand the appeal, but I'll be damned if I ever even think about doing it. Maybe on or at the top of avoidable sports injuries is getting barbed by a catfish that's not on a hook. 

30 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It's a thing. I understand the appeal, but I'll be damned if I ever even think about doing it. Maybe on or at the top of avoidable sports injuries is getting barbed by a catfish that's not on a hook. 

One more thing: don't go hand-fishing for catfish in a remote area with a drug-addled psychotic. Proved far more hazardous than the fish.

49 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Hell I've caught that barb while they're hooked and that ain't fun either. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20220721-the-worlds-largest-crystal-cave

An abandoned mine in Spain hides a sparkling treasure – the world's largest geode, a natural crystal phenomenon that has stunned scientists.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62292511

Japanese police are turning to tranquiliser guns in an attempt to stem the tide of wild monkey attacks that have been terrorising residents.

18 hours ago, T.D. said:

Japanese police are turning to tranquiliser guns in an attempt to stem the tide of wild monkey attacks that have been terrorising residents.

And then the primates respond by arming themselves. Did we learn nothing from the nuclear arms race? :rolleyes: