News of the Day

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 4:26 PM, GA Russell said:

The *average* Briton suffers two 36-hour-long hangovers per month.

This works out to be an entire year of their lives hungover.

https://www.zerohedge.com/medical/brits-are-worst-hangovers

If nothing else, you're consistent in citing questionable sources:

Zero Hedge is a far-right libertarian financial blog and news aggregator....Over time, Zero Hedge expanded into non-financial political content, including conspiracy theories and fringe rhetoric advancing radical right, alt-right, and pro-Russia positions. Zero Hedge's non-financial commentary has led to multiple site bans by global social media platforms... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Hedge

U.S. intelligence officials [...] accused a conservative financial news website with a significant American readership of amplifying Kremlin propaganda and alleged five media outlets targeting Ukrainians have taken direction from Russian spies. The officials said Zero Hedge, which has 1.2 million Twitter followers, published articles created by Moscow-controlled media that were then shared by outlets and people unaware of their nexus to Russian intelligence. The officials did not say whether they thought Zero Hedge knew of any links to spy agencies and did not allege direct links between the website and Russia. https://wikispooks.com/wiki/Zero_Hedge

GA, you have the right to consume lies and propaganda, but be prepared to be called out when you share disinformation here.

Meanwhile, in today's news: 

Monkey calls 911 from cellphone, sending deputies to California zoo

Edited by sonnymax

On 8/15/2022 at 2:16 PM, sonnymax said:

I guess that Marty Martin didn't have enough immunity built up from previous poisonous snake bites. Bill Haast, who ran the Miami Serpentarium for decades, was bitten over a hundred times and his blood was used as antivenum for snakebite victims. He managed to live to be 100.

Somewhere in my boxes of stuff I have a photo of Haast distracting a King Cobra for a paying audience as he moved into grab it from its blind side and milk it for venom. It was an interesting tourist attraction, though the concrete walls seemed too low to me at the time and encouraged sitting on them, not a good idea in case you fell into a snake pit or the crocodile pen. Sure enough, a few years later, a father and son were sitting on the wall throwing stuff at a crocodile, then the son fell it and was killed almost immediately.

https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-xpm-2011-jun-21-la-me-bill-haast-20110621-story.html

On 8/17/2022 at 1:38 PM, Ken Dryden said:

Bill Haast, who ran the Miami Serpentarium for decades, was bitten over a hundred times and his blood was used as antivenum for snakebite victims. He managed to live to be 100.

Haast was a fascinating character.  I first got interested in him and the Serpentarium when I read his book as a kid.  When he died, I remember being surprised to see his obituary, having assumed that he had passed on long before then.  I'd like to revisit his book again but copies tend to be pricey - probably need to see if I can get it via interlibrary loan.

16 minutes ago, Dave Garrett said:

Haast was a fascinating character.  I first got interested in him and the Serpentarium when I read his book as a kid.  When he died, I remember being surprised to see his obituary, having assumed that he had passed on long before then.  I'd like to revisit his book again but copies tend to be pricey - probably need to see if I can get it via interlibrary loan.

You would have thought that having that much snake venom in his body over the years would have destroyed his liver.

11 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

You would have thought that having that much snake venom in his body over the years would have destroyed his liver.

Especially from the kinds of snakes he was bitten by - it's bad enough to be bitten by a "common" rattlesnake, but getting bitten by cobras, kraits, or mambas is another thing entirely.

10 minutes ago, Dave Garrett said:

Especially from the kinds of snakes he was bitten by - it's bad enough to be bitten by a "common" rattlesnake, but getting bitten by cobras, kraits, or mambas is another thing entirely.

I remember reading that he lost a fingertip in his nineties after it became infected from a bite and that’s when he finally quit handling snakes. I remember how pale his skin was from the many snake bites.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...