News of the Day

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I do know a few people who do, though. 

Please ask your friends what they think.  Could this be the first shoe to drop?

What is a worst case scenario?

There is more.

The shares of Meta (the new name of Facebook) lost 24.5% today.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/100-billion-zuck-bucks-eviscerated-meta-bet-bombs

Edited by GA Russell

Google bans website ZeroHedge from its ad platform over comments on protest articles

Why Did Financial Flamethrower Zero Hedge Go All in on Conspiracy Theories?

U.S. Accuses Zero Hedge of Spreading Russian Propaganda

According to Zero Hedge, “The coronavirus is no more deadly or dangerous than seasonal flu” and “There has been NO unusual excess mortality” related to COVID; “Lockdowns do not prevent the spread of disease”; “Masks don’t work”; “PCR tests were not designed to diagnose illness”.

Know your sources.

28 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

Google bans website ZeroHedge from its ad platform over comments on protest articles

Why Did Financial Flamethrower Zero Hedge Go All in on Conspiracy Theories?

U.S. Accuses Zero Hedge of Spreading Russian Propaganda

According to Zero Hedge, “The coronavirus is no more deadly or dangerous than seasonal flu” and “There has been NO unusual excess mortality” related to COVID; “Lockdowns do not prevent the spread of disease”; “Masks don’t work”; “PCR tests were not designed to diagnose illness”.

Know your sources.

WTF is that obvious troll allowed to repeatedly post horseshit moronic links?

Not that anyone with a scintilla of intelligence would click on such drivel. :)

Not exactly an advertisement for the forum.

Edited by T.D.

Jesus.

I scanned the ZeroHedge link (as I now do all of this posters' links) and didn't see anything obvious (unlike some of the other sites....). But WHOOP there it is.

And now what are we doing? Creating a doomsday scenario where Amazon & Meta crash the global economy? To what end?

Jesus.

5 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Did Amazon stock lose 20% in one day?  Did Meta stock lose 24.5% in one day?

Wouldn’t we have all heard about that, if it had? It’d be one of the top stories for a couple days. I listen to Marketplace for on NPR every morning (a couple different 10-minute segments, at 5:50am and 7:50am every weekday) — and I haven’t heard a PEEP about Amazon or Meta loosing that much value in one day.

Why are we putting up with posts like that? — which should really be deleted, when they’re clearly disreputable.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

https://fortune.com/2022/10/28/amazon-meta-earnings-horror-show-lost-160-billion-market-cap/

The sky is not falling, unless you want/need it to. 

Amazon and Meta are two fundamentally different companies. 

Jim, it seems to me that because "Amazon and Meta are two fundamentally different companies," the fact that both should suffer a severe decline in revenue at the same time should be a greater cause for concern.

Thanks for the link.

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

But WHOOP there it is.

What are you referring to?

On 10/27/2022 at 9:21 AM, sonnymax said:

Their attorneys are a public interest law firm. Part of what they seem to do is stop false advertising and prevent fraudulent practices. Having briefly scanned the complaint, which asks for equitable relief and damages, my guess is that they want Barilla to be truthful in their advertising. 

On 10/28/2022 at 6:53 PM, GA Russell said:

Did Amazon stock lose 20% in one day?  Did Meta stock lose 24.5% in one day?

If so, why?  What are the implications?

Let's try to avoid thread drift.

If you read the WSJ or a good financial section, you will get your answers. In addition, a google search will also give you your answers. In the case of Meta, their revenue dropped, which is somewhat attributable to competition with Tik Tok and their metaverse division is hemorrhaging money, and will continue to do so. When your revenue drops, Wall Street is not happy.

Unless you’re an investor this shouldn’t be cause for concern. 

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

Their attorneys are a public interest law firm. Part of what they seem to do is stop false advertising and prevent fraudulent practices. Having briefly scanned the complaint, which asks for equitable relief and damages, my guess is that they want Barilla to be truthful in their advertising. 

It's completely idiotic in my opinion.  And, given the cost of $2, had they chosen the 'cheaper' option but for being "lied" to, it's about .20 damages. Let's treble that and call it sixty cents. 

The plaintiff's bar sucks, they want nothing but to raid some deep pockets with the lawyers getting most of the money.  That's the purpose.  

22 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

It's completely idiotic in my opinion.  And, given the cost of $2, had they chosen the 'cheaper' option but for being "lied" to, it's about .20 damages. Let's treble that and call it sixty cents. 

The plaintiff's bar sucks, they want nothing but to raid some deep pockets with the lawyers getting most of the money.  That's the purpose.  

I don’t disagree with anything you said. 

15 hours ago, Brad said:

If you read the WSJ or a good financial section, you will get your answers. In addition, a google search will also give you your answers. In the case of Meta, their revenue dropped, which is somewhat attributable to competition with Tik Tok and their metaverse division is hemorrhaging money, and will continue to do so. When your revenue drops, Wall Street is not happy.

Unless you’re an investor this shouldn’t be cause for concern. 

Amen. Or read their respective 10-Ks and listen to the investor calls. Stock losses alone are poor barometers of broad economic indications. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Stock losses alone are poor barometers of broad economic indications. 

Stock losses also seem to have little to do with the health of a company's business. I work at a large company and I can't tell you how many times our stock price has dropped after they reported record earnings, mainly because some stock weenie decided that the record earnings weren't as high as they wanted.

Stock values are too closely tied to growth. A company can kick major ass and report billions of dollars in revenues and still get killed in the stock market because they didn't meet the market's growth expectations. I think it's ridiculous that a billion dollar company can be considered "failing" because their growth is in the single digits. This "grow or die" mentality is really messed up.