News of the Day

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brad said:

The Tik Tok generation at work: “look at me!”

Not on the same level of stupidity but another Tik Tok person is in trouble for hitting golf balls into the Grand Canyon.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiktok-star-facing-charges-viral-video-hitting-golf-ball-into-grand-canyon/amp

Selfies have been killing people at an alarming rate for quite a while now. It's no surprise that Tik-Tok is right there with them.

I once went to the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland while visiting on business and there was a space where you could walk right up the edge and look down. The guy I was with went out there and stood to look out. It was windy as hell and I told him he was crazy. I crawled out on my hands & knees and peeked out near the edge. Couldn't do it. It was too much for me.

After we left, we were telling someone at the hotel about our trip and they were saying that those winds blow people off the cliffs quite frequently. I hear it's about 10 people per year.

I've been told that they have been putting up a berm in front of the viewing path, with a fence along the top so this number is likely to go down now... although I'm sure some idiots will climb over the fence for that selfie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 4:27 PM, bresna said:

Selfies have been killing people at an alarming rate for quite a while now.

Some time ago, I don't know if it was related to this thread, I read an American had fallen into the crater of mount Vesuvius while making a selfie, and been miraculously saved by other people.

On 11/29/2022 at 10:36 AM, sonnymax said:

A lawyer stupid enough to take such a frivolous case deserves to get sanctioned for wasting the court’s time and the defendant’s money.

A late newspaper editor told me about a clown who filed weekly frivolous lawsuits against the paper, which required the attorney to appear. Since the plaintiff filed as an indigent, he had no expenses, though the suits were always dismissed immediately. Judges need to be allowed to sentence repeat frivolous plaintiffs to 10 days in the workhouse after pulling such a stunt too often.

Another cure for obviously frivolous suits is to assess expenses of a few thousand dollars to be paid jointly by the plaintiff and their attorney.

• 3 weeks later...

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/3788260-professor-sues-tiktok-poster-who-accused-her-in-university-of-idaho-killings/

The pull quotes are pretty insane (emphasis mine):

A University of Idaho professor sued a TikTok poster for defamation after she published videos accusing the professor of killing four students in an off-campus home last month.

Ashley Guillard, a self-styled internet sleuth with roughly 108,000 TikTok followers, has posted dozens of videos in which she accuses Rebecca Scofield, the chair of the school’s history department, of orchestrating the four students’ killings. She says she based the accusation on tarot card readings.

Guillard acknowledged the lawsuit in a series of TikTok videos over the past week, although she said in one that she had not yet been served with the complaint.

“I’m not stopping, so let’s just start there,” Guillard said in one of the videos.

In a later post, Guillard said she was “gleaming with excitement” that she would have to opportunity to “present my ideas in court” about the killings.

“The lawsuit Rebecca Scofield & her team of attorneys filed against me are false, frivolous and perjurious,” Guillard told The Hill on Monday evening. “I look forward to presenting the evidence I gathered in court.”

New AI Listens to Toilet Sounds to Detect Diarrhea

just a "taste": 

The researchers listened to the samples to establish authenticity. 

“We didn't know these people, we didn't know how they recorded, so we had to listen to a good bit,” Gatlin says. “There were definitely lots of fart sounds where we were like, 'That's not a fart, that's someone blowing into their elbow.'”

On 12/28/2022 at 9:05 AM, Dan Gould said:

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/3788260-professor-sues-tiktok-poster-who-accused-her-in-university-of-idaho-killings/

The pull quotes are pretty insane (emphasis mine):

A University of Idaho professor sued a TikTok poster for defamation after she published videos accusing the professor of killing four students in an off-campus home last month.

Ashley Guillard, a self-styled internet sleuth with roughly 108,000 TikTok followers, has posted dozens of videos in which she accuses Rebecca Scofield, the chair of the school’s history department, of orchestrating the four students’ killings. She says she based the accusation on tarot card readings.

Guillard acknowledged the lawsuit in a series of TikTok videos over the past week, although she said in one that she had not yet been served with the complaint.

“I’m not stopping, so let’s just start there,” Guillard said in one of the videos.

In a later post, Guillard said she was “gleaming with excitement” that she would have to opportunity to “present my ideas in court” about the killings.

“The lawsuit Rebecca Scofield & her team of attorneys filed against me are false, frivolous and perjurious,” Guillard told The Hill on Monday evening. “I look forward to presenting the evidence I gathered in court.”

Maybe Ashley Guillard's alias is "Dinah Moe Hum," since she obviously "throws a mean tarot..."

I imagine that this idiot doesn't have much in the way of funds to pay for the coming damages from this lawsuit.

Edited by Ken Dryden

• 3 weeks later...

Not that anyone should be surprised, but:

The Epoch Times is a far-right international multi-language newspaper and media company affiliated with the Falun Gong new religious movement. The newspaper, based in New York City, is part of the Epoch Media Group.

The Epoch Media Group's news sites and YouTube channels have spread misinformation and conspiracy theories, such as QAnon and anti-vaccine misinformation, and false claims of fraud in the 2020 United States presidential election.