Billy Harper- Capra Black- Quick Question...

BlueSpirits

Who is playing drums on the title track? The brief info i could find online said Billy Cobham, but then somewhere else I read Elvin and Warren Smith play on the album. It doesn't really sound like Cobham to me, but I guess I haven't heard him in that kind of context before, and was never that big on his playing in Mahavishnu, much prefer Narada Walden. But if that's him on the title track, wow! Some super hip phrasing.

Only became aware of Billy the other day thanks to JSngry(by means of Booker Ervin), and man....speechless.

Already tracked down a copy of the LP. Next- Black Saint.

Yea, I think I've heard of that album :D.   I believe it's Warren Smith on drums, and that Jones and Cobham made guest appearances on one track each, but I can't say for sure.  There are more knowledgeable people than me on this board, and one of them will likely know.

2 minutes ago, felser said:

Yea, I think I've heard of that album :D.   I believe it's Warren Smith on drums, and that Jones and Cobham made guest appearances on one track each, but I can't say for sure.  There are more knowledgeable people than me on this board, and one of them will likely know.

:lol:

Edited by BlueSpirits

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-772625-1284809625.jpeg.jpg

I guess that means felser is correct? It's Warren Smith? And Elvin on Sir Galahad and Billy C. on New Breed. Very cool.

Is that an excerpt from the liner notes? Awesome. Thanks for posting that. Really interesting about the form. I kept replaying the first two minutes of the track, over and over, saying to myself, "what on earth is going on here".  One of the most powerful and triumphant and soulful melodies I have ever heard.

https://www.discogs.com/Billy-Harper-Capra-Black/release/772625

Click on the "more images" thing under the cover image.

Discogs is very good/useful for looking up album covers (front and back) as well as label variations and stuff. I use it more fore research than I do buying, and I don't exactly avoid buying there, if you know what I mean.

Also, don't sleep on Cobham pre-Mahavishnu. Nothing there you need to drop everything and run to get, but he left a trail. :)

R-1421689-1248899926.jpeg.jpg

and then there was Dreams...

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

https://www.discogs.com/Billy-Harper-Capra-Black/release/772625

Click on the "more images" thing under the cover image.

Discogs is very good/useful for looking up album covers (front and back) as well as label variations and stuff. I use it more fore research than I do buying, and I don't exactly avoid buying there, if you know what I mean.

Also, don't sleep on Cobham pre-Mahavishnu. Nothing there you need to drop everything and run to get, but he left a trail. :)

R-1421689-1248899926.jpeg.jpg

and then there was Dreams...

Very clever idea! 

And you're right, I should check out some more pre-fusion sessions of Billy C. That right there is a nice start.