Billy Harper Quintet - Antibes 1975

Pim

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, felser said:

Will await CD someday, hopefully, and this is a rare case where I might even spring for a download, but no can do on the vinyl.  Sigh.

7 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Would buy this on CD in a heartbeat, but I mostly refuse to buy new vinyl (at least I’ve successfully fought the urge in all cases, to date).

Sam does not produce CDs. They made an exception with Monk but that’s the only time as far as I know. Their stuff tends to sell out rather quickly so don’t delay. 

On 15/02/2021 at 5:51 AM, mjazzg said:

Yes

There are two versions released by Sam

1. the studio version with Nathan Davis & Woody Shaw (A Gaveau) - previously released

2. the live version recorded a month earlier without the above (live A Gaveau) - this has never been released before

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gave my copy a spin today and it’s very, very good. Harper at his best. The sound is magical. The added booklet insert is beautifully done too with interesting liners and nice photographs. 

Really I could imagine if you haven’t got a turntable anymore you’re not going to buy it (it wouldn’t be of any use haha). But if you still have one, I would really reconsider and buy it. You’re missing some very good music if you don’t. 

Not telling any tales out of school here, but people are buying this stuff, ripping it to digital, and then sharing with friends. I heard of one guy who bought the LP just to rip it and then gave the LP away.

So Sam is losing money by not offering at least a limited run of CDs as well as their LPs.

None of my business, but still....

28 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’d have gladly paid $20 for this on CD, probably even $25. Their loss.

Sam is a one person company, Fred Thomas. As stated in his website it’s a non-profit company.  From his website: “This non-profit label is devoted to reissuing jazz records recorded and produced in France during the 50’s and 60’s.” Several of his recent re-issuances are repressing of records that have gone out of stock so he’s not reissuing a lot. His re-issuances seem more like a labor of love. Making money is obviously not his objective.

About Sam Records

Edited by Brad

14 minutes ago, Brad said:

Sam is a one person company, Fred Thomas. As stated in his website it’s a non-profit company.  From his website: “This non-profit label is devoted to reissuing jazz records recorded and produced in France during the 50’s and 60’s.” Several of his recent re-issuances are repressing of records that have gone out of stock so he’s not reissuing a lot. His re-issuances seem more like a labor of love. Making money is obviously not his objective.

About Sam Records

And all power to his elbow. As the owner of several of his releases I'm pleased he does what he does in the way he so chooses.

And I agree with Pin, this Harper is special.

1 hour ago, Brad said:

About Sam Records

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

And all power to his elbow. As the owner of several of his releases I'm pleased he does what he does in the way he so chooses.

And I agree with Pin, this Harper is special.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

One thing not really considered here is the artist. I don't want to get too deep into it but limited edition releases like this guarantee a low payday for the artist with no hope of any additional sales to make it even a half way respectable payday. These limited edition record store day type things have resulted in some of the lowest offers for compensation to the artist that I have seen in many years. It's nice for the music to come out and I understand the nature of a non-profit and their supposed good intentions but it would be nice to see the artist compensated a fair amount as well.

Edited by david weiss

Well to those sharing those illegal FLACS: enjoy them! Have to say mr. Thomas does not deserve it. His products truly show craftmanship and love for the music. Of course it’s his choice how to release his music, as it’s also the choice of some copies to release on cd only. I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to attempt an illegal digital file simply because I don’t want to buy cd’s. But that’s my humble opinion. 

I feel mostly like something fellow board member Clifford Allen said. Something like: I’ll buy it whatever the format is as long as the music is good. And this music is very good!