Jazz In Film - Jazz Soundtracks And/Or Appearances On Camera By Jazz Artists

Ken Dryden

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/13/2022 at 1:07 AM, sidewinder said:

‘The Cry Of Jazz’  came out on DVD some years back - I have a copy somewhere. Pretty sure it was recorded in Chicago.

Yes I see from the interesting link that Niki posted that it was claimed to be recorded in Europe to avoid problems with the local Chicago musicians union.

according to the original film credits, there is a soundtrack on Saturn records, srlp0216. 

On 11/13/2022 at 8:02 AM, jazzcorner said:

42204069kk.jpg

42204042ex.jpg

A few interesting tidbits:

That Shorty Rogers The Wild One EP has been collected on the RCA Short Stops compilation.

Private Hell 36 was released as a 10" in mono.  When it was expanded as a 12" album, under the title Jazz Themes for Cops and Robbers, they made the album "stereo" by overdubbing vibes and bongos onto the existing mono tracks.  The overdubs appear left and right, while the original mono recording is centered.

Both albums are excellent choices, by the way.

48 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Yes I see from the interesting link that Niki posted that it was claimed to be recorded in Europe to avoid problems with the local Chicago musicians union.

according to the original film credits, there is a soundtrack on Saturn records, srlp0216. 

Sorry Niko, not Niki. Autocorrect. Apologies. 

11 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

That Shorty Rogers The Wild One EP has been collected on the RCA Short Stops compilation.

Private Hell 36 was released as a 10" in mono.  When it was expanded as a 12" album, under the title Jazz Themes for Cops and Robbers, they made the album "stereo" by overdubbing vibes and bongos onto the existing mono tracks.  The overdubs appear left and right, while the original mono recording is centered.

Both albums are excellent choices, by the way.

It can be found also here:

44703974sj.jpg

44703975dp.jpg

14 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

And it has been graced by a 12in "maxi EP" 😉 reissue with nice period-appropriate cover by none less than Bear Family Records (released in 1989).

Measly playing time 😉 but I just had to have it at the time (original EPs in those pre-internet days were inaccessible) and I've kept it even after getting a copy of "Short Stops".

The "Wild One" LP by Leith Stevens on Decca isn't bad either.

Wasn´t Ben Webster seen and heard on "Quiet Days in Clichy" ? 

I remember well when that film was in cinema here, and an elder couple were watching it and she always had to ask him, what´s happenin which he explained.

At one point she asked him "what´s that now ?" And he answerd "She pissed into the bathtub" and she just said "oh yes.... I see" 😄

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 7:08 AM, optatio said:

Dexter Gordon as Rolando in Awakenings. Here on piano at the end of the scene.

Man, when I watched that movie with my girlfriend a few months ago (I hadn't seen it since I was a little kid), I kept having this feeling that Rolando looked really familiar. I couldn't place him as a familiar actor...

However, once his character started "waking up," it dawned on me that I didn't recognize him from any movies, but from album covers, and that it was Dexter Gordon! 

The recent movie Confess, Fletch has a lot of jazz playing throughout although I can't seem to find a soundtrack for it. 

Also, recent movie Don't Worry Darling has a jazz-centric soundtrack:

Ray Charles– The Right Time 3:25
  Dizzy Gillespie– Bang Bang 3:03
  Benny Goodman Sextet– When Or When 3:23
  Mel Tormé– Comin' Home Baby 2:43
  Brenton Wood– The Oogum Boogum Song 3:07
  Little Anthony & The Imperials– Tears On My Pillow 2:19
  The Platters– Twilight Time 2:45
  The Chords– Sh-Boom 2:27
  Little Willie John– Need Your Love So Bad 2:17
  Santo & Johnny– Sleepwalk 2:24
  Helen Foster– You Belong To Me 2:56
  Ella Fitzgerald– Someone To Watch Over Me 4:33
  Alice & Jack– With You All The Time 2:59

On 11/15/2022 at 12:16 PM, Gheorghe said:

At one point she asked him "what´s that now ?" And he answerd "She pissed into the bathtub" and she just said "oh yes.... I see" 😄

In fact it was the male that pissed in the tub (Henry Miller) and the girls asked what was happening, and jumped out screaming when he told them.

• 2 weeks later...