Roy Brooks - Understanding

mjzee

Release date June 18:

71hz537gHCL._SL1200_.jpg

Understanding is a previously unreleased recording of drummer Roy Brooks captured live by the Left Bank Jazz Society at The Famous Ballroom in Baltimore, MD on November 1, 1970. Featuring a stellar band with trumpeter Woody Shaw, saxophonist Carlos Garnett, pianist Harold Mabern and bassist Cecil McBee, Understanding was recorded 5 months after the classic live album The Free Slave (also recorded by the Left Bank Jazz Society). This recording features a full performance by great musicians at their peak, providing a you are there experience of the excitement of great music and an appreciative crowd. Mastered from the original tape reels by Kevin Gray, the limited-edition 180-gram 3LP set includes an extensive booklet with rare photos, plus interviews with Carlos Garnett and Cecil McBee. Award winning arts journalist and critic Mark Stryker contributes the main essay as well as remembrances by American journalist, educator, author, activist and friend of Roy Brooks, Herb Boyd, alto saxophone legend Charles McPherson who grew up with Roy Brooks, Louis Hayes who got Roy the gig with Horace Silver and more. This project came about as a desire by Reel to Real Recordings to make a positive contribution to Black Lives Matter. Understanding is our celebration of the talent, courage and spirit of the Black musicians who created a timeless and universal art, with the recognition that the injustices of 50 years ago are still with us. All proceeds from album sales will go directly to The Detroit Sound Conservancy. Understanding is produced with the cooperation of Cecil McBee and Carlos Garnett and the estates of Roy Brooks, Harold Mabern and Woody Shaw.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

CD option also available (and pre-ordered) at Amazon (and hopefully other outlets). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WPG53QP?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Kind of a no-brainer, imo, and very much looking forward to reading Mark's notes before/during/after (some or all) the music.

$5.68 cheaper at importcds.com minus shipping ($2.99 for single title, $1.49 per title additional after that).  If the sound quality is decent, this seems like an early candidate for vintage issue of the year.  Can't wait to hear it.  @Joe,  LOVE the "instabuy"!

Is there a way to get this with the saxophone edited out?

I know I'm in the minority here but I am happy to hear the rest of the band (I can't imagine Mabes going too far "out") but Garnett is just not my cuppa.  I also have to say that price point earns a  :o :blink:.

OTOH if this means Reel to Real is planning two Left Bank releases per year TFN, I'll be happy.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I also have to say that price point earns a  :o :blink:.

It's a 2 CD set...not exactly a bargain stealofadeal, but if amazon price matches the lowest price before actual shipping date (and they usually do), it will come down.

Shipping...if you order from amazon with even a semi-regularity, especially for things other than records, the Prime package more than paus for itself, and pretty quickly too. Whatever my end price ends up being, shipping is definitely going to be free. It always is!

There's also a new Harold Land CD entitled Westward Bound! coming from the same company on the same day.  It features Carmell Jones, Buddy Montgomery, Monk Montgomery, Hampton Hawes, and Philly Joe Jones.  It's already available to pre-order at Amazon and DeepDiscount.

11 minutes ago, thirdtry said:

There's also a new Harold Land CD entitled Westward Bound! coming from the same company on the same day.  It features Carmell Jones, Buddy Montgomery, Monk Montgomery, Hampton Hawes, and Philly Joe Jones.  It's already available to pre-order at Amazon and DeepDiscount.

WOH! I just looked though and the Amazon page I found says it was available last week and now unknown when it will be?

I am sure that will be rectified and this is definitely a pre-order title for me - more Carmell Jones, and Land presumably pre-Trane influence.

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Not really a big fan of Garnett’s leader dates like ‘Black Love’. But his playing on Mtume’s Umoja Ensemble or Norman Connor’s Dance of Magic is excellent. What is it you don’t like in his style? 

Too much Trane-Intensity in his style for me (I know, horrors!).  (Although I just listened to some samples of a Savant release that is almost all standards and didn't sound too bad).

19 minutes ago, thirdtry said:

!!!

Re: Carlos Garnett... weren't he and Shaw frontline partners in Blakey's Jazz Messengers about this same time?

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

They do, but DeepDiscount is the only one I recognize...I've had mixed experiences with them...

I will probably just watch Amazon for updates, plenty of time and while I pay for Prime I don't really order so much that its a "great deal," every month, probably just break even on saved shipping in your average non-holiday/birthday month.