Covid Vaccination Poll Update

Covid Vaccination Poll as life returns to "normal"  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

My sense is depending on where you are, late October could either be a very good time to meet indoors or a very bad time - the Delta wave has seasonal patterns in different locations, and seems to have a short life cycle (of course, it hospitalizes and kills a lot of unvaccinated people during this short life cycle).

The place we go to regularly has handled the pandemic incredibly well. The county has had a total of only about 1800 cases (pop: 100,000) since the beginning, but it's the whole travel process that you have to go thru - airports if we fly or a long road trip with a stay in-between if we drive - that compounds the uncertainty of it all. You'd like to think that if we just had a solid month of everyone doing the right thing that we could be damn well near over this and we could get back to something almost sane. At this constant rate of utter stupidity that we're living thru, I'm now wondering whether we'll have to cancel all of the arrangements we've made for Big Ears in late March. All we can do is just keep looking at the numbers and monitoring the situation and hope we don't deplete our Greek-letter options.

57 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Seriously, I'm impressed. 

It's been fun number of years, but the reality of our times sets in. Joyce will be always be there at a later time.
If you're interested, here's six minutes of a reading (with light electronics) at the bottom of the page.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, rostasi said:

The place we go to regularly has handled the pandemic incredibly well. The county has had a total of only about 1800 cases (pop: 100,000) since the beginning, but it's the whole travel process that you have to go thru - airports if we fly or a long road trip with a stay in-between if we drive - that compounds the uncertainty of it all. You'd like to think that if we just had a solid month of everyone doing the right thing that we could be damn well near over this and we could get back to something almost sane. At this constant rate of utter stupidity that we're living thru, I'm now wondering whether we'll have to cancel all of the arrangements we've made for Big Ears in late March. All we can do is just keep looking at the numbers and monitoring the situation and hope we don't deplete our Greek-letter options.

IMHO this is going to be endemic for the foreseeable future, plan accordingly.  Vaccinated adults will be at low risk, unvaccinated at very high risk.  Vaccination mandates on certain activities will make them much safer.  You'll probably want to plan on visiting areas with high vaccination rates and avoid areas with low vaccination rates.  Outbreaks will occasionally disrupt plans but will be much worse, on average, in low-vaccination areas.

1 hour ago, rostasi said:

It's been fun number of years, but the reality of our times sets in. Joyce will be always be there at a later time.
If you're interested, here's six minutes of a reading (with light electronics) at the bottom of the page.

You probably know this but Marshall Mcluhan's Phd dissertation was about the thunderclaps in Finnegan's Wake.  And y ou probably noticed that I just spelled it wrong.  Why is there no apostrophe? 

Edited by medjuck
Ignorance

On 8/12/2021 at 1:47 PM, medjuck said:

And y ou probably noticed that I just spelled it wrong.  Why is there no apostrophe? 

It's always been my understanding that the omission of the apostrophe ensures that the title's interpretation is ambiguous (like many other concepts one encounters in Joyce's work):

https://fuckyeahjoyce-blog-blog.tumblr.com/post/23141372251/theres-no-fucking-apostrophe-in-finnegans-wake

On 12/08/2021 at 8:50 PM, Guy Berger said:

One thing I recently learned is that, to improve the Continental Army's ability to fight British troops, George Washington mandated his soldiers' inoculation against smallpox.

Vaccination mandates are as American as apple pie!

What would inoculations have been like then? I imagine the needles were just big glass straws. And it was before germ theory, so one can only hope they at least wiped them down in between jabs.

Maybe this would be a good place to share news about third shots, when news becomes available. Will be very interested to learn the where, when, and how--and will certainly share any news I have. 

For now all I have to share is that on Friday I received an email blast from NorthShore University HealthSystem (Chicago metro area consortium) headlined "Per CDC, NorthShore Prepares for COVID-19 Booster Vaccines for Immune-Compromised Patients," with the subhead "NorthShore: Moving Fast to Get Select Patients Recommend Booster Shots." The gist of the body copy is simply, paraphrasing, "rest assured, we'll let you know when there's anything to know."

18 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

What would inoculations have been like then? I imagine the needles were just big glass straws. And it was before germ theory, so one can only hope they at least wiped them down in between jabs.

Variolation

The procedure was most commonly carried out by inserting/rubbing powdered smallpox scabs or fluid from pustules into superficial scratches made in the skin.”

10 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Variolation

The procedure was most commonly carried out by inserting/rubbing powdered smallpox scabs or fluid from pustules into superficial scratches made in the skin.”

I was born in 1955, and that's not too terribly different from how I got mine, how all the kids got it. We all had these little tiny but visible scars on the arm from where we got the smallpox vaccine. It wasn't a shot, there was no hypodermic involved.

11 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Variolation

So basically it was a variation on "let's introduce the virus to trigger an immune response" but long before anyone had a clue about it? Its remarkable to me to think that the man who ordered this treatment to his troops would end up dying of what was probably an easily survivable cold, due to "modern" medical practices of the time.  How could Small Pox innoculations co-exist with "bleeding" as medical treatments?

Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber, anyone?

55 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

So basically it was a variation on "let's introduce the virus to trigger an immune response" but long before anyone had a clue about it? Its remarkable to me to think that the man who ordered this treatment to his troops would end up dying of what was probably an easily survivable cold, due to "modern" medical practices of the time.  How could Small Pox innoculations co-exist with "bleeding" as medical treatments?

But unlike “bleeding”, variolation actually worked!  It was better than “naturally acquired” smallpox, worse than modern vaccination.

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

And we talk about vaccine hesitancy today!

If you read the articles I shared, it’s pretty interesting - there was a lot of resistance to the adoption of variolation, despite its effectiveness.  Seems like some of this is hardwired into our brains or at least our society

Only three degrees of separation from Governor Frostbite to the organissimo board.

Though the photo of Vaughan with the governor was posted at 1:13 p.m., it's not clear when it was taken. Incubation periods for COVID-19 can range from two days to two weeks.

Related:Jimmie Vaughan talks the joy of the blues

The governor's Twitter post included two photos: One of Vaughan and Abbott, and another also including Vaughan's wife, Robin, and their two daughters.

Abbott's post reads: "Honor to meet with @JimmieVaughan — brother of Stevie Ray Vaughan and a legendary Texas musician in his own right. Hope to catch your show in September at the @ErwinCenter."

Vaughan is scheduled to open for Eric Clapton at the Erwin Center on Sept. 15. He also recently returned to his semi-regular weekend residency at South Congress club C-Boy's. Vaughan and keyboardist Mike Flanigin performed there on Aug. 6-7 and 13-14; their next booking at the club is Sept. 3-4.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/politics/roger-wicker-tests-positive-covid/index.html

The virus is non-partisan (who knew?!?!?!) and apparently (increasingly?) not particularly  interested in how long you think your vaccine is going to last?

We should take comfort that "breakthrough" cases will not fuck us up hardly any at all? Even if it means that the virus is staying alive and looking for more evolved ways to do so? This is supposed to make me happy?

Can we all stop playing games with this shit NOW, please?

Of course not, but I am obligated to ask anyway....