Anthony Braxton

jlhoots

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

I don't think it's 12 CDs. Sounds like it's all on 1 blu-ray DVD. $80 at Bandcamp pre-order.

Hunh. I got some marketing email that I instantly deleted saying 12 CDs of something Braxtonian. Maybe I got my Braxton mega releases mixed up.

Edit: Oh. It's the title. I misread it and assumed because it was Braxton that it was twelve CDs of material. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

27 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Hunh. I got some marketing email that I instantly deleted saying 12 CDs of something Braxtonian. Maybe I got my Braxton mega releases mixed up.

Edit: Oh. It's the title. I misread it and assumed because it was Braxton that it was twelve CDs of material. 

12 performances, 11+ hours of music, one DVD or download - I believe that's correct.

31 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I see. Thanks.

The 12 CD release I think you may be thinking of is the new Braxton House release of his new Standards Quartet 2020 with Alex Hawkins of this parish.  I received the email about that one today too

9 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

The 12 CD release I think you may be thinking of is the new Braxton House release of his new Standards Quartet 2020 with Alex Hawkins of this parish.  I received the email about that one today too

Oh! I am not going off the rails. I knew I had received it. 

If I had a parallel life to listen to all of it, I would. That's a no-brainer.

Just think about it - if, in 100 years, only 1 per cent of his recorded output survives, he'll still have a higher visibility profile than Bill Barron does today.

This is not a man who records frivolously or promiscuously. This is a man who understands how historical narratives evolve and get repurposed, and he's being proactive as fuck on defending his from that.

I hope his lives forever and makes twice as many records as he already has. And I hope I have enough of this life open to listen to some of them.

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

This is not a man who records frivolously or promiscuously.

Oh come on, that's exactly who he is. If anything he's diluting his "legacy" by this release incontinence. 

Edited by Д.Д.

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

This is a man who understands how historical narratives evolve and get repurposed, and he's being proactive as fuck on defending his from that.

What do you mean by this statement - Both with respect to how a narrative about Braxton is likely to be repurposed (and by whom) and how a release schedule of this nature would defend against such repurposing?

Do you mean that by releasing so many long records with so many extended versions of Standards Braxton plans to protect his legacy from similar attacks to those launched on his 70s work during the early 80s? (He can't play, Braxton can't swing, etc.?)

Edited by Rabshakeh

I mean that history in a commodity, and that what is not use to the commoditizers can be made to vanish over time.

To think that Braxton thinks of times past as such an expansive, surrounding, enveloping,  reality and does not apply it to both his present and his future (which will be his history)...that seems most improbable to me.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

Were you at those Cafe Oto gigs? I thought they were completely mind-blowing!

I was at one and my mind was blown too. Absolutely astonishing. I've been waiting for  a Zim release since, bit disappointed it's Blu-ray but will probably buy download.

I see that those nights are on this recording but I can't work out which they are from the BC page. When I do I'll buy them as each 'disc' is available separately

Edited by mjazzg

3 hours ago, Alexander Hawkins said:

I believe it was Compositions 418/419/420 at Oto those nights!

Thanks Alex, that's where I'll start.

Edit to add: just purchased the recording of the gig I attended

Edited by mjazzg