BFT 207 - Link & Discussion

Dub Modal

1.     Strong tenor over throbbing bass line.  Percussion adds color.  Not crazy about the fadeout.  Decent, but nothing special to my ears.  
2.    Old time piano.  It sounds mostly like swing, but some bop too.  I certainly don’t hear the sheer technique of Tatum.
3.     That’s some strange stuff.
4.    Squalling free jazz.  This is why some call it noise.  I like some free jazz; some I don’t.  
5.    Sounds Ellingtonian (Carney), but rather sleepy.
6.    “How Deep is the Ocean.”  Not too crazy about hearing it at performed mid-tempo. 
7.    Sounds like Arthur Blythe.  It had nice ballad feel, but then it went “out” for a little stretch.  Now it went into the blues. An interesting piece.  I’ve heard a lot of Blythe, but not this one. Now the talk!  What is this?
8.    ?
9.    ?
10.    Latin jazz.
11.    Ben Wester quality, but is likely someone more modern.
12.    Some bebop frenzy.  Good to hear the fast and fluent work on baritone and especially trombone.  J.J?  I don’t know who else would have the facility if this is from the 40s. The tenor has more of a swing quality.  

Not doing well on this one, and obviously Thom Keith nailed a lot of selections.

Edited by Milestones

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 2. "Get Happy"(?). Powell influenced piano. Elmo Hope? 1950s recording.

Track 5. Harry Carney, so I guess it's Ellington.

Track 6. "How Deep Is the Ocean?"

Track 11. Ben Webster-influenced tenor, but not Ben.

Track 12. Dig that crazy bop! Recorded 1947 or thereabouts. Both tenor and bari sound familiar, but can't put a name to them.

As Track 12 is so far unidentified, how am I doing on my 1947 recording date guess?

5 hours ago, BillF said:

As Track 12 is so far unidentified, how am I doing on my 1947 recording date guess?

Absolutely spot on. Should've given you that credit yesterday. 

15 hours ago, Milestones said:

1.     Strong tenor over throbbing bass line.  Percussion adds color.  Not crazy about the fadeout.  Decent, but nothing special to my ears.  This tune is definitely an outlier, but rather than the sax leading, for me the percussion is the "lead" instrument(s) here. 
2.    Old time piano.  It sounds mostly like swing, but some bop too.  I certainly don’t hear the sheer technique of Tatum. 
3.     That’s some strange stuff. Ha, yes this is a left field tune. 
4.    Squalling free jazz.  This is why some call it noise.  I like some free jazz; some I don’t.  I dig the cello/sax interplay throughout this one. I also think there's a fair amount of swing in the free elements here. 
5.    Sounds Ellingtonian (Carney), but rather sleepy. This tune knocked me cold a while back and I think demonstrates a lot of control among other skills from Carney. 
6.    “How Deep is the Ocean.”  Not too crazy about hearing it at performed mid-tempo. Although it's a standard, I'm not overly familiar with the tune, but I chose this one in part because of the tempo lol. Mainly I dig Clifford Jordan and thought this tune fit in with the mix here. 
7.    Sounds like Arthur Blythe.  It had nice ballad feel, but then it went “out” for a little stretch.  Now it went into the blues. An interesting piece.  I’ve heard a lot of Blythe, but not this one. Now the talk!  What is this? This is good stuff. The blues they start playing is intense and very heart felt. 
8.    ?
9.    ?
10.    Latin jazz.
11.    Ben Wester quality, but is likely someone more modern. Not a modern player but it's a later recording, and has been identified as Frank Wess. From a high level review, it looks like Wess and Webster never played with any of the same big bands, is that correct? Webster played with Ellington, Wess with Basie and of course they both played with several other bands...
12.    Some bebop frenzy.  Good to hear the fast and fluent work on baritone and especially trombone.  J.J?  I don’t know who else would have the facility if this is from the 40s. The tenor has more of a swing quality.  Yep, it's JJ! Tenor is Jacquet and bari is Leo Parker,  

Not doing well on this one, and obviously Thom Keith nailed a lot of selections. Great to hear your insights though! Thanks for taking the time to listen and weigh in. :tup

Summary so far, and we're only a day in: 

1 - Unidentified. Doesn't seem to be much of a hit here, but I like it. As mentioned above, the percussion is the star here. This group had a hit of sorts back in the 60s but this tune is from a later decade. 

2 - Partially identified with the leader noted as Elmo Hope. Album and song title not yet guessed, although as @JSngry noted the changes are based on "I Want to Be Happy" which I had no idea of

3 - Unidentified although @randyhersom got the West Indies lyric which is a clue, as is the noted reggae feel of the song from this artist that many either love or hate. @tkeith said it sounds like "I Shall Be Released." Well, that's a popular tune for reggae artists to cover, and wouldn't you know it - the album that this track is taken from has a cover of that very song!

4 - Identified 100% already

5 - Several got Carney & Ellington here. Jim got the title "Chromatic Love Affair" - but didn't mention the album. Anyone want to take a stab at that? 

6 - Mr. Keith nailed this one 100%

7 - Thom leading the way again by naming the Leaders and several of you picked out Blythe as the alto. Song and album not yet named however. 

8 - Randy named this one 100% but credit also to @rostasi Vesala's albums are always an adventure. I picked this album up after hearing another Vesala tune in a prior BFT and went on to get several of his albums. 

9 - Completely unidentified. This isn't an obscure artist. I'm betting someone gets it sooner or later. 

10 - Correctly guessed as Cumbia style but song and band as yet unnamed. Won't surprise me if it remains elusive. As noted the clarinets over the brass is fantastic, but check it out again and listen to the piano comping during those parts. Such a simple but totally effective groove. 

11 - Frank Wess on tenor correctly guessed but album and song as yet unidentified. Glad you all feel this one though. 

12 - Jim came correct with the players and label while @BillF got the year. Anyone want to guess the song title? 

13 - Correctly guessed as McPherson on alto but album and song not yet named. 

14 - @rostasi got this 100% with partial to Randy for guessing the leader. 

15 - Thom went with Gilmore and from there Sun Ra, and then Rostasi got this all correct 100%. 

So, ID'd 100% with song, artist and album - Songs 4, 6, 8, 14 & 15

Partially ID'd - Songs 2, 5, 7, 10, 11, 12 & 13

Unidentified - Songs 1, 3 & 9

Thanks everyone so far for participating and weighing in. :tup

Edited by Dub Modal

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yale Concert, right? #5? That's where I have it, anyway.

Boom. #5 is now 100% ID'd. 

Later Ellington, but I dig the entire album. I had to edit out parts of this song in the beginning and end b/c Duke speaks and there'd be no guessing needed if it was still there. Although my edits to the end of the song aren't perfect as I unfortunately cut out the drum kick that ends the tune. :shrug[1]:

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I love the narration on The Little Purple Flower...Ellington talking about opiates in a VERY Ellingtionan oblique way....wonder if he was inspired by Pauls's stuggles with addiction?

Man, I didn't pick up on that. I'll have to give it a listen. 

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Purple_opium_poppy_flower.jpg

Listening now. Love Duke's piano playing in Part 1. And yeah, I could definitely see where Paul could be the "kid" mentioned in his narration. 

1 minute ago, rostasi said:

#1 is clearly Count Ossie, but which album?
Since much of what's here seems to come from mid-70s (and it has that sound),
I'm gonna go with that Mozambique album.

Still mulling over a couple others here...

Count Ossie it is, and yep - Tales from Mozambique is the album. One more try for the song? 

5 minutes ago, rostasi said:

It's that Intro - "Sam's"?

Bingo. 

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, who is Count Ossie? I don't know that name.

High level view here. Prince Buster put him on the Folkes Bros' song "Oh Carolina" which is well-known among Jamaican music aficionados. Shaggy later covered and modified it for one of his hit songs. 

A little deeper on Count Ossie here.

Edited by Dub Modal

I still am mixed up about #10 - everything I hear is this
and the lyrics are this, yet somehow it is not this. Hmmmm...

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, who is Count Ossie? I don't know that name.

He was a great Jamaican percussionist and band leader - often used nyahbinghi-styled drumming in sessions.

Just now, Dub Modal said:

High level view here. Prince Buster put him on the Folkes Bros' song "Oh Carolina" which is well-known among Jamaican music aficionados. Shaggy later covered and modified it for one of his hit songs. 

Good to know about this history. My Jamaican music awareness, is, on the best of days, superficial. so much to learn....

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Good to know about this history. My Jamaican music awareness, is, on the best of days, superficial. so much to learn....

He connects to 2 producers in Prince Buster and Harry Mudie, whose discographies are very rewarding if explored. I was going to add another Mudie production to this BFT but had to cull it for time. 

6 minutes ago, rostasi said:

I still am mixed up about #10 - everything I hear is this
and the lyrics are this, yet somehow it is not this. Hmmmm..

Wow, great find on the lyrics! One hint I'll throw out is that I got this from a compilation, which is named at the very end of this track. Find that compilation, and you find this song. As well as a ton of other excellent tunes. 

1 - I like the tone of the tenor player.  Rhythm section too static for my tastes.
2 - Good,fleet pianist, tight rhythm section.  
3 - No thanks.
4 - Alto player owes it all to Ornette, may be him. Drummer annoys me.
5 - Tenor player owes it all to Ben Webster.
6 - So, how deep is the ocean, anyways?  Really good tenor player.
7 - Interesting, pretty soulful.  Cut off part way through?
8 - Like the trumpet, hate the guitar, mixed feelings on the cut.  Dave Douglas?
9 - My favorite cut so far, and the first one I want to be sure to own.
10 - Way too authentic for my tastes.
11 - Owes it all to Coleman Hawkins.
12 - Before my eras of primary interest, but fun to hear.
13 - Very moving performance, second one I want to be sure to own.
14 - Very strong trumpet who sounds like Freddie Hubbard.  Good composition.  Keeper #3.
15 - I should probably like this more than I do.  Good players, but feels sloppy/lazy.

Thanks for the BFT, well done.  Quite the variety!  Definitely look forward to ID's of 9,13,14.  44 posts in a little over 24 hours?  A success!

2 minutes ago, felser said:

1 - I like the tone of the tenor player.  Rhythm section too static for my tastes. 
2 - Good,fleet pianist, tight rhythm section.  
3 - No thanks. Ha, yeah this isn't going to be everyone's tastes. Even in musical circles of this genre it's a love/hate artist. 
4 - Alto player owes it all to Ornette, may be him. Drummer annoys me.
5 - Tenor player owes it all to Ben Webster. Not tenor! But makes me think of which way the streams flowed between Carney & Webster. 
6 - So, how deep is the ocean, anyways?  Really good tenor player. Yeah, Clifford is the man. 
7 - Interesting, pretty soulful.  Cut off part way through? Hmmm, don't think it was cut off. That free interlude is part of the tune...
8 - Like the trumpet, hate the guitar, mixed feelings on the cut.  Dave Douglas? Not Dave, although I thought about putting one of his tunes here. 
9 - My favorite cut so far, and the first one I want to be sure to own. For sure, it's a groover. I think folks will be pleasantly surprised when this one is named. 
10 - Way too authentic for my tastes. Understood
11 - Owes it all to Coleman Hawkins. Hawkins is a titan for sure. 
12 - Before my eras of primary interest, but fun to hear. I love everything about this tune. From the beginning to the solos to how they end it in such a short time. Love the tempo too. 
13 - Very moving performance, second one I want to be sure to own. Honestly, once this is named I hope everyone goes and gets it if they don't have it. It's McPherson as mentioned above, but the album remains elusive. 
14 - Very strong trumpet who sounds like Freddie Hubbard.  Good composition.  Keeper #3. Rava is definitely a strong player. And while the entire album is good, this is my favorite song from Pilgrim and the Stars 
15 - I should probably like this more than I do.  Good players, but feels sloppy/lazy. Oh man, give it another shot. 

Thanks for the BFT, well done.  Quite the variety!  Definitely look forward to ID's of 9,13,14.  44 posts in a little over 24 hours?  A success! Yeah, I'm loving everyone's input. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as well. 

Actually, just noticing #14 is still a partial in terms of identification. It's from Rava's Pilgrim & the Stars but song title hasn't been named. Probably easy to do...

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Wow, great find on the lyrics! One hint I'll throw out is that I got this from a compilation, which is named at the very end of this track. Find that compilation, and you find this song. As well as a ton of other excellent tunes. 

OK, you have majorly confused me. Are you getting what I'm sending you?
I'm sending you the lyrics and a link to the tune - which is Los Sabañales by the Cumbia All Stars.
Is this not the same tune on the BFT?

40 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Actually, just noticing #14 is still a partial in terms of identification. It's from Rava's Pilgrim & the Stars but song title hasn't been named. Probably easy to do...

"By the Sea"

Edited by rostasi

14 minutes ago, rostasi said:

OK, you have majorly confused me. Are you getting what I'm sending you?
I'm sending you the lyrics and a link to the tune - which is Los Sabañales by the Cumbia All Stars.
Is this not the same tune on the BFT?

Sorry for the confusion, but from the source I pulled this song from, it's not the Cumbia All Stars. However, when I play that tune sample via the Amazon music link you sent, it's the same tune. Hmmmm...and looking at that Amazon comp, I'm thinking they may have pulled this track without giving proper credit or mis-crediting the actual group. My source for this song is a comp which I believe gives proper song/band credit as when traced to this band's album shows to be correct. I hope that alleviates some confusion. But indeed, that song sample from your link is the very same tune. 

15 minutes ago, rostasi said:

"By the Sea"

There it is. 

Wow! OK, confusing, but I think, now it must be:

El carbonero Letra by El Combo Candela

which is a strange thing because I have both of their recordings.
I'll have to see what the mixup was (is?)...

but check this out: here's the YouTube video with El Combo Candela,
but the info under the video says that it's the Cumbia All-Stars.
So, anyway, it's gotta be either one of those, I guess (unless there's even a third one
that sounds like this - LOL!!!)

...and it is from El Ritmo es Correcto (which I had to discover - the hard way - LOL!)

Yeah, well, I'm gettin' an education here! Most of the versions of Los Sabañales
I'm hearing online are totally different - often done as a guaguanco.
That's what I get for trusting some misnamed download (and not knowing the language). Ha!

Edited by rostasi