Remember those PD jazz boxes?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

What is the point here? That everybody must hunt bittorrent sites or obscure blogs, just to avoid buying a PD label box set? nd much better than AM radio. 

Again, limited questions yield limited answers!

Make friends with real people, not fictional sci-fi characters, be a friend, make a friend. Give and receive.

And above all, don't feed the animals, especially the bottom feeders...if that's where the food is, that's where everybody goes, and not everybody is built to survive down there.

110106-fish-kill-sandy-point3.fit-760w.j

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Make friends with real people, not fictional sci-fi characters, be a friend, make a friend. Give and receive.

Yes, we have all been doing that already for decades. 

There are still some insanely rare albums that have eluded us.

And not all of our friends have digitized their vinyl.

Well then, they are not your real friends. Go to their house and prevail upon them to get that shit done, asap.

Or else go to K-Mart buy a bag of cheap cassettes and do that. That works too.

Because if you wait for some halfass shankerdanker to do it, that's probably what you're going to end up with anyway, more or less. Being a bottom feeder means eating, not feeding, unless of course you get caught. And if that's lucrative enough for long enough they'll start farm-raising your ass.

Catching-Channel-Cats-with-Lures.jpg

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Well then, they are not your real friends. Go to their house and prevail upon them to get that shit done, asap.

Or else go to K-Mart buy a bag of cheap cassettes and do that. That works too.

Because if you wait for some halfass shankerdanker to do it, that's probably what you're going to end up with anyway, more or less. Being a bottom feeder means eating, not feeding, unless of course you get caught. And if that's lucrative enough for long enough they'll start farm-raising your ass.

Or just hit the "buy now" button on Amazon and save yourself time and headaches.

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

In the future there will be no need for anybody to work, somebody else will do it for them!

That has been the history of human beings since we invented the wheel and harnessed fire. Nothing becomes obsolete, unless something new can do it better.

Do you know the definition of a necessity?  It is a luxury that you have experienced at least once.

37 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Do you know the definition of a necessity? It is a luxury that you have experienced at least once.

Well, there you go. Thus begins the thinning of one segment of the herd.

If believed, that is. Sounds like more droll 50s RetroMod FuturePast drivel to me, Ironyzed yeast!

What is a true necessity? Water (UH-oh, Earth, getting kinda dicey there!), and some kind of food, some kind of clothing, and some kind of shelter. Past that, everything else is negotiation up or down, including how much crap our lazy asses are willing to negotiate down (aka "settle for") in the name of "convenience".

Tipping point, anybody?

1 minute ago, Guy Berger said:

I have no major problem with anybody burning a CD of digital files if they want to, but it seems like a waste of resources

It is, but if you have digital files yet complain about not having a CD of them, that's on you, all the way.

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It is, but if you have digital files yet complain about not having a CD of them, that's on you, all the way.

Agreed, I wrote something silly and that’s why I deleted my post, fortunately you’ve preserved my doofus moment for eternity 🤣🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

If believed, that is. Sounds like more droll 50s RetroMod FuturePast drivel to me, Ironyzed yeast!

Can you think of a single example in human history in which we have ditched a technology or luxury, unless it was because something else did it better, cheaper, quicker, more efficiently?  

Don't worry, I'll put it in a digital comp of one million other people's and sell it for $0.02...and not one penny goes to you! :g

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:
12 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

Agreed, I wrote something silly and that’s why I deleted my post, fortunately you’ve preserved my doofus moment for eternity 🤣🤣🤣

Don't worry, I'll put it in a digital comp of one million other people's and sell it for $0.02...and not one penny goes to you! :g

10 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Can you think of a single example in human history in which we have ditched a technology or luxury, unless it was because something else did it better, cheaper, quicker, more efficiently?  

Uh, slavery (ditched if only at morally correct gunpoint, but it sure looks like it's becoming a luxury missed by those who enjoyed it...and still alive and well in the modern world)?

That's "good riddance (for as long as it is rid).

Now, of questionable riddances of betterments -

Live customer service?

Maybe soon, vaccines?

Objective reality?

Facts?

Life gets lived with or without any of those (alternate facts!), so hardly necessities, and only luxuries until deemed disposable. (DISPOSABLE!!!!!) at which point they do get disposed. And anytime something is constantly negotiated downward in value, it eventually gets disposed of. But I NEED that!!!! So...go get it. Do the work. Otherwise,

It's not exactly like you can trust us to always do what is better over what is easier. I remain very skeptical of the innate wisdom of our instincts, especially where getting more for less is involved.

If progression is inevitable, so is regression. And there's always an "inflection point".

Is anyone aware of a PD box or album which competes with the legit?  I can think of only a Louis Armstrong Hot Fives & Hot Sevens box.

It's a mystery to me why Not Now sounds so bad.  I thought that the fear of red book digital was that it could be copied endlessly without sound deterioration.  So what's Not Now's problem?

I would be happy to learn about labels to avoid besides Not Now and Membran.

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Is anyone aware of a PD box or album which competes with the legit?

It depends how "competes" is defined.  There are many PD boxes that come close to duplicating Mosaic boxes, but the Mosaics are now OOP, so are they competing with used copies on Ebay?

81l7k7PvhiL._SL1500_.jpg91qU0B5dlML._SL1500_.jpg71xoCS7ihxL._SL1200_.jpg

But you can more make the case that some PD boxes compete with individual albums that are still in print:

91bANqnUwVL._SL1500_.jpg81f8Oav0oVL._SL1500_.jpg71SdkKj8E6L._SL1200_.jpg

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

What is the point here? That everybody must hunt bittorrent sites or obscure blogs, just to avoid buying a PD label box set? Because while you're avoiding potential malware, some Andorran character will make a 3 Euro profit? I am not interested myself because of the unappealing aesthetics of many of the PD boxes, but since the artists would neither get one cent from me if I pay 1000 Euro for a rare original LP, why get worked up over some people buying them?

As for YouTube audio, it has support for lossless, so if you want it can be as good as anything. And while some uploads are lo-fi, many others sound much better than AM radio. 

Malware? Torrents? I won’t share the name of the program I use here for that is probably not allowed but it is not about torrents nor malware. You just search and then download. That’s all. Way easier than ordering and paying for that Andorran crap. But of course everybody has to know for themselves but this argument isn’t really an argument. 

8 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I seriously use YouTube to audition a very obscure album, and then decide if it is worth seeking out.  I don't use it for any kind of "serious" listening.

Ah yeah that is how I do use is sometimes as well. But you do not use the PD releases for that do you? And than throw it away if it’s not your thing?

Since I was, it shows that one can be unaware of such programs, so there will always be a market for other solutions. I would always be careful myself regarding any program that works as suggested above. Grey zone downloads always come at a risk. 

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

It depends how "competes" is defined.  There are many PD boxes that come close to duplicating Mosaic boxes...

Search for a New Land was recorded Feb. 15, 1964, so I'm guessing that Lee Morgan is a bootleg rather than a PD.  Is that right?

8 hours ago, Pim said:

Ah yeah that is how I do use is sometimes as well. But you do not use the PD releases for that do you? And than throw it away if it’s not your thing?

As I mentioned earlier, I have only two of these sets, three if you count a Qobuz download.  All three were VERY cheap.  With two of them, I knew in advance they had great sound quality, so it was worth it.  Another was $3 at a yard sale.  It was an impulse (not impulse!) buy, and it sounded like crap.

Most of my music accumulations consists of used LPs purchased in the 1990s, when no on wanted them, or legit CDs.  The PD sets were extreme outliers for me.

9 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Search for a New Land was recorded Feb. 15, 1964, so I'm guessing that Lee Morgan is a bootleg rather than a PD.  Is that right?

That is correct. Even in the EU, post-1962 recordings are under copyright protection.

However, I was once told that Andorra, where some of the Fresh Sound family of labels reside, are not part of the EU, so they are supposedly still using a 50 year copyright. I have no idea if that is true.

I think it's sad that the US will eventually have an infinite copyright due to Mickey Mouse whereas the EU will have one due to The Beatles. Public Domain is going away.