• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, JSngry said:

The Metaphorical Gum Wrapper - Foil & Paper, All for The Pauper

My copy is Quad, which you would think would be great for an alleged proto-psychedelic-folk record, but it's really just a big mess of jumble.

Which leads me to wonder if the issue is not the Quad at all, maybe it's just that the band sucks?

I don't know, this is not my specialty, so...thoughts from people more naturally aligned to this type of music are welcome.

Right in my wheelhouse (I own the entire Ultimate Spinach catalog, first two Strawberry Alarm Clock albums, etc.).  What you need to understand is that quad releases did not become common until the early/mid 70's.   So the quad release of that legendary 1967 album was done long after the initial release of the album on the poorly distributed Spartacus label.  The quad mix was done from the master tapes by a sound engineer  who did not understand the subtleties of the group's music, and was more interested in showing off the quad technology than faithfully representing the art of the MGW.  As a fold down of that quad mix is the one that is now commonly heard on the 1992 Collectables CD, it is a great disservice to the legacy of that groundbreaking group.  A good copy of the original vinyl on Spartacus will set you back a couple of hundred dollars, if you can find it at all, but is well worth it for true fans of this masterwork.  The album cover of the original release has also become infamous, not "appreciated" by the 1960's censors, who thought they saw "drug references" a la "Eight Miles High".

Gum Wrapper Chain | Retired Ruth

• 2 weeks later...