Cool Albums that your Wife or Significant Other Brought Home

As we all know, jazz fans would not even consider getting married unless their significant other shared their passion for music.  This is a thread to share great albums that your wives, husbands, or significant others brought home.  

I will begin with a yard sale in Beantown, at which Ms. TTK found a pristine original MONO copy of this album:

R-2683961-1332112711.jpeg.jpg

91wjslXCNDL._SL1500_.jpg

R-2342371-1309463489.jpeg.jpg

R-8377656-1460425005-1662.jpeg.jpg

R-944987-1517861686-8535.jpeg.jpg

R-7585541-1444577960-1708.jpeg.jpg

R-4078730-1541199857-8045.jpeg.jpg

R-8321328-1459313937-5014.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Teasing the Korean

IIRC, I've told this story before.  But it's worth repeating... and it fits this thread.

Early in my marriage -- I think it was my birthday -- my wife gave me these four CDs:
- Charles Mingus - Pithecanthropus Erectus
- Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby
- Miles Davis Quintet - Workin'
- Thelonious - Genius of Modern Music, Vol. 2

Obviously, I was just beginning to explore jazz back then.  I probably owned a total of 50 albums (in every genre, not just jazz).

I'm lucky.  My wife digs jazz.  This morning, I was listening to Hank Crawford & Jimmy McGriff.  "I Only Have Eyes for You" came on.  She walked in the room, and said, "Wow! That sounds good."

Don't get me wrong: Occasionally, she gets PISSED OFF with me because I spend so much time listening to and obsessing about jazz (and music in general). 

But she still digs it, and I'm still lucky.

:) 

My wife inherited some good records, and some pretty random records, from my father in law.

Other than that, the stuff she buys is pretty random and apparently mostly based on impulse depending on how much she likes the cover (New Black Eagle Jazz Band being a particular, Ken Burns-endorsed, low point).

She does have good taste though. I have found myself conforming a lot to what she likes, and buying records with her in mind. She's a bit fan of blues, soul jazz and R&B era big band, so stuff like Shirley Scott and Roland Kirk gets put on far more than it used to when I was a bachelor, which is a really really good thing.

There's little reason to bring any more albums into this house really
and I've mentioned earlier that soon after I met my wife, she bought
this Nurse With Wound album:

CxA88MD.jpg

but, I will say that before she retired, she would travel and call me
sometimes to tell me who she was seeing perform live that night:
The Boredoms, Ivor CutlerThe Balanescu Quartet and others.

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Other than that, the stuff she buys is pretty random and apparently mostly based on impulse depending on how much she likes the cover (New Black Eagle Jazz Band being a particular, Ken Burns-endorsed, low point).

Well, yeah, if she's buying on impulse!  she's probably making some good choices. ;)

The most memorable one for me is my wife buying Portraits of Monk by Randy Weston. I'm a huge Weston fan, and I already owned the others two "Portraits" album.  I had heard the Monk CD from a library copy and thought it was the best of the three. I really wanted this record/CD, and yet it was so hard to find at the time; this was maybe close to 20 years after its release.  Even now it can't be found very easily at a decent  price.  She found it somewhere and for years wouldn't tell me the cost.  Then eventually she told me it cost around $40!

But it was not the cost that was important, but rather the kindness.  It was just something I mentioned, and she tracked it down and made it a gift.  We might have been only engaged at the time.  

2 hours ago, Milestones said:

The most memorable one for me is my wife buying Portraits of Monk by Randy Weston. I'm a huge Weston fan, and I already owned the others two "Portraits" album.  I had heard the Monk CD from a library copy and thought it was the best of the three. I really wanted this record/CD, and yet it was so hard to find at the time; this was maybe close to 20 years after its release.  Even now it can't be found very easily at a decent  price.  She found it somewhere and for years wouldn't tell me the cost.  Then eventually she told me it cost around $40!

But it was not the cost that was important, but rather the kindness.  It was just something I mentioned, and she tracked it down and made it a gift.  We might have been only engaged at the time.  

Great story.  :tup 

On 8/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, HutchFan said:

IIRC, I've told this story before.  But it's worth repeating... and it fits this thread.

Early in my marriage -- I think it was my birthday -- my wife gave me these four CDs:

Obviously, I was just beginning to explore jazz back then.  I probably owned a total of 50 albums (in every genre, not just jazz).

I'm lucky.  My wife digs jazz.  This morning, I was listening to Hank Crawford & Jimmy McGriff.  "I Only Have Eyes for You" came on.  She walked in the room, and said, "Wow! That sounds good."

Don't get me wrong: Occasionally, she gets PISSED OFF with me because I spend so much time listening to and obsessing about jazz (and music in general). 

But she still digs it, and I'm still lucky.

:) 

You are very lucky!  I would keep those four CDs in one location, and I may even be tempted to frame the cover art together!

On 8/11/2021 at 2:18 PM, porcy62 said:

My former wife got pissed off when I bought a record cleaning machine she thought it was too noisy. From my point of view it was far less noisy then she was. We get divorced after few months.

Did you tell her the records wouldn't sound as noisy after they are cleaned? ;)

But I know what you mean.  I have a Nitty Gritty, and when it is powered up, it sounds like my parents' 1950s-era four-wheel Electrolux vacuum cleaner!  

On 8/11/2021 at 3:40 PM, Rabshakeh said:

My wife inherited some good records, and some pretty random records, from my father in law.

She does have good taste though. I have found myself conforming a lot to what she likes, and buying records with her in mind. She's a bit fan of blues, soul jazz and R&B era big band, so stuff like Shirley Scott and Roland Kirk gets put on far more than it used to when I was a bachelor, which is a really really good thing.

:tup

On 8/12/2021 at 0:25 PM, Milestones said:

:tup

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Did you tell her the records wouldn't sound as noisy after they are cleaned? ;)

But I know what you mean.  I have a Nitty Gritty, and when it is powered up, it sounds like my parents' 1950s-era four-wheel Electrolux vacuum cleaner!  

I know it’s like a Groucho’s joke but it’s not far from the truth.

Anyway she didn’t understand why I spent so much on vinyls instead of cds. The funny thing is that, as investment, vinyls proved to be much profitable. So assuming she would inherited my goods her disdain towards my passion was definitely stupid 

edit: I mean you can sell a used good tt for a decent money who buy a used CD player?

Edited by porcy62

On 8/13/2021 at 5:23 PM, porcy62 said:

edit: I mean you can sell a used good tt for a decent money who buy a used CD player?

Actually, there is a market, at least in the US, for early model CD players.

On 8/11/2021 at 11:42 AM, HutchFan said:

From early in our relationship, a very memorable Christmas haul from Ms. TTK was composed of the following:

• Michel Legrand Sings
  • Jorge Ben Philips debut
  • Gary McFarland - The In Sound

14 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Actually, there is a market, at least in the US, for early model CD players.

For spare parts or ornament I presume. Fixing my cd player, 20 yo, was almost a nightmare, the technician looking for components all around the world, USED spare parts because DA converters and mechanic parts are out of productions since ages. The guy was smart and skilled enough to locate a component in a totally different device. I got back my old cd player. But I wouldn't buy an old cd player even under death threats.

4 hours ago, porcy62 said:

For spare parts or ornament I presume. Fixing my cd player, 20 yo, was almost a nightmare, the technician looking for components all around the world, USED spare parts because DA converters and mechanic parts are out of productions since ages. The guy was smart and skilled enough to locate a component in a totally different device. I got back my old cd player. But I wouldn't buy an old cd player even under death threats.

Fortunately, the manufacturer of mine still has plenty of spare mechanisms. Hopefully stays the case for a decade or two.

47 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

My next cd player will be a Naim:D a new one.

Unfortunately porcy they too have switched emphasis onto streamers. There will come the inevitable time when the head unit becomes a door stop and the PSUs become connected to whatever their latest streamer is. Until then, at least I am covered for spares and servicing.

In other news, they have entered the turntable market with a Clearaudio collaboration called Solstice and the Aro 2 Unipivot arm. Plus pigs are flying..:D

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

There will come the inevitable time when the head unit becomes a door stop and the PSUs become connected to whatever their latest streamer is. Until then, at least I am covered for spares and servicing.

In other news, they have entered the turntable market with a Clearaudio collaboration called Solstice and the Aro 2 Unipivot arm. Plus pigs are flying..:D

😎 ....