John Coltrane 95th Anniversary Japanese Reissues

Late

The Japanese market is reissuing 20 titles from Coltrane's Impulse! catalog to celebrate his 95th birthday. 1300¥. Google Translate has this to say about Jupiter Variation:

Jupiter Variation [Special Price Limited Edition] / John Coltrane • The 95th anniversary of the birth of the best charisma in jazz history (born September 23, 1926), the release of an unreleased live label, and the 60th anniversary of the founding of the Impulse! label to which he belongs. In commemoration, the representative masterpieces to rare editions will be re-released as special price limited editions. A selection that approaches the mystery of the late Coltrane sound. Every moment is brilliant, from the quintet formation to the duo with drummer Rashid Ali. Also includes a studio version of "Peace on Earth."

Jupiter Variations has been out on cd before. . . I bet all these are previous masterings. . . would love to know if they aren't. Sigh. Wish Live in Seattle were among them with the really good mastering others reported on the SHM-CD I missed years ago.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I bet all these are previous masterings. . . would love to know if they aren't. Sigh.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Wish Live In Seattle were among them with the really good mastering others reported on the SHM-CD I missed years ago.

I had the same thought. I wish the 2-disc Japanese SHM-CD contents were added to the upcoming Seattle broadcast set. That would make it 3 discs, but then it would also feel more "complete." Plus, the 2011 Japanese remastering of Live In Seattle is supposed to be noticeably better than what the U.S. market is currently offering.

• • •

I can't imagine members here are all that excited about the above reissue program, but I suppose we're not exactly the target audience. Nice to see Live At The Village Vanguard Again! see another reissue though. That's an under-valued live document (I think).

I definitely am also glad these are being made available again so that others who may be interested and/or new to Coltrane can have some great sounding cds. Not sure how many new to Coltrane are looking for cds these days, and if so looking towards Japan, but there you go.

I bought the then "low priced reissue" of "At the Village Vanguard Again" in 2018. Would be great if this were a new remaster. . . as all the newer remasters have been pretty darned good to excellent. I'd also love to see a new mastering of "Selflessness," the title that was withdrawn last year. So part of me hopes there is new work done on these. . . but my gut tells me they will be the same as previous releases. If my joints were nimble enough these days I'd cross my fingers.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

But can he bend a laser?

Only if it's the kind that cuts the holes in butterscotch Lifesavers. Steve Kuhn saw it happen.

• • •

Back to the list above (the 20 reissues) ... why the Olatunji Concert? Could have been any number of deserving Impulse! titles. Oh well. At some point, the Roy Haynes material, studio and live, should be compiled, remastered, and reissued once again. Maybe for Coltrane's 100th.

2 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Is the Olatunji CD really unlistenable?

Not to my ears, but I have a pretty wide tolerance for that type of thing.

The "problem" for me on that one is that there's not the best balance between instruments. But you can use your imagination there.

It's an important document, imo. "Listenability" is more of an entertainment factor.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Not to my ears, but I have a pretty wide tolerance for that type of thing.

The "problem" for me on that one is that there's not the best balance between instruments. But you can use your imagination there.

It's an important document, imo. "Listenability" is more of an entertainment factor.

They may be able to improve it sonically also. The old version is 20 years old or more, right?

The last gig at Left Bank was 'most likely' not recorded. I am talking to the guy who would have recorded it (in lieu of Vernon Welsh) but he was assigned to take photos. Can't do both I guess.

Maybe Coltrane asked for no recording, but that is strictly speculative.

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Needed to revisit both (not at all a bad thing!), my recollection is the opposite?

I mean, neither are great, and a lot is buried either way, but Offering has that kinda weird thing where you hear people very clearly close to the main mic before moving away, so it’s a but uneven. Olatunji is just distant the whole time, so it’s a little less distracting. 

• 2 weeks later...

If this current reissue of Sun Ship uses the 2011 Japanese remastering, Coltrane fans will want to hear it. It's the best-sounding version to my ears — much better than the complete U.S. edition. It also follows Ed Michel's (minor and tasteful) edits, which tighten the album.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Got "Jupiter Variation" ... for the (former) "Expression" bonus track, and for the earlier version of "Peace on Earth". I understand we already hear Haden and and Alice overdubbed instead of Garrison and Tyner on this version, but no strings yet. Gave the disc a spin already but didn't pay attention to any mastering details. I can look it up by the weekend only, as I'm on holiday until Friday.

Would really love to see any comprehensive release of the February/March 1967 sessions some day ... maybe Ravi will find some tapes eventually, who knows ...

Edited by king ubu

On 15.11.2021 at 2:44 PM, John L said:

Nice that Jupiter Variation is being reissued.   That is the only collection that includes "Peace on Earth" without Alices's overdubbing.   I didn't even realize that it was on CD before.  

My understanding is that piano/bass are overdubbed already, but the strings aren't there yet. Alas "Coltrane Reference" doesn't get very specific on it, but I understand it supports my assumption (which is also coherent with the info given on the record sleeve).