Vinny Golia - Even to this day…Movement One: Inoculations Music for Orchestra and Soloists

jcam_44

So as most here know I am a huge Vinny Golia fan. Vinny has released his most largest single Movement as of the end of August digitally on bandcamp. I spoke with Jeff Kaiser of pfMentum and have been informed that a physical release is in production so, although I have listened to some of this, I am waiting for the physical release. This Movement is MASSIVE! 158 tracks that clock in around 11 hrs. 

Vinny Golia - Even to this day…Movement One: Inoculations Music for Orchestra and Soloists

From Bandcamp:

(Inoculation: to inoculate) 

This applies to vaccinating against the coronavirus and to mentally preparing ourselves to be strong against the onset of paranoia, boredom, depression, isolation, apathy, and all of the other symptoms of this disease that we did not anticipate. 

Even to this day…in its entirety comprises three movements. Movement One: Inoculations, which you are listening to now, is for orchestra and 21 improvisers. The complete length of Inoculations is 10 hours and 32 minutes and consists of 12 individual Modules. The second movement, Part Two: Syncretism: for the draw…is for metal band and orchestra and will be released later in 2021. Finally, as yet unnamed, the third movement for symphony orchestra and large ensemble with improvisers will be completed at the end of 2021. 

I started writing Even to this day... for my upcoming 75th birthday a year before it was to happen at the request of Rent Romus, who was organizing a concert of 75 musicians to perform the piece, unaware that Covid lurked around the corner. The performance never happened. So, I decided to go for what I wanted using real and virtual musicians performing composed music combined with improvisation—which always seems to be the best way to get what I want musically—a blend of serenity, intensity, and stability that shifts like the sands in a desert. And, as I wanted to have many of the West Coast musicians I play with represented in the music, I came up with a plan to have soloists play over a large and continually changing symphonic setting. 

Even to this day... includes soloistic journeys, short interludes, transitional forms, and improvisations involving orchestral textures. Performed live, I would have used a combination of conducting techniques I have been refining since the first concert of the Vinny Golia Large Ensemble in 1982. Unfortunately, I could not do this live because of Covid restrictions and instead created an alternate composition system to supplant and expand on those techniques. Our West Coast community of creative musicians is vast and intensely innovative, and from this communal pool, I used improvisers accustomed to performing New Music and freer forms of improvisation. Specific compositions showcase their creative talents, resulting in a myriad of improvisational approaches. For the listener, the modules within each movement can be arranged in any order but are best listened to in their original order as the compositions within each module accent each other. 

Movement One: Inoculations is the first part of over a year’s worth of work on Even to this day... The movement is a direct response to Covid, reflecting feelings and thoughts while locked down or “safer at home” for 15 months. With so much discord in the world at the moment, the chance for a few of us to collaborate on something positive seemed a great way to fight back, peacefully, against the malaise of fear, uncertainty, isolation, hostility, and depression. So, this orchestral project started in March 2020 is now ready to add the final component, the listener...  

credits

released August 25, 2021 

Featured soloists: 
Ken Filiano-Bass 
Derek Stein-Cello 
Matt Barbier-Euphonium & Trombone 
Tim Feeney-Percussion 
Randy Gloss-Hand Drums & Electronic Percussion 
Vicki Ray-Prepared Piano 
Sarah Belle Reid-Trumpet & Electronics 
Kyle Bruckmann-Oboe, English Horn & Electronics 
Jeff Kaiser-Trumpet and Electronics 
Cassia Streb-Viola 
Miller Wrenn Bass 
Nathan Hubbard-Drums & Percussion 
Steve Adams Sopranino Alto Saxophones, Alto, Bass Flutes & Electronics 
Steven L. Ricks-Trombone & Electronics 
William Roper - Bombardondino, Tuba & Extemporaneous Spoken Word 
Dan Clucas-Cornet 
Clint Dotson-Drums 
Brian Walsh-Bb, Bass, Contralto & ContraBass Clarinets 
Ellington Peet—Drums 
Wayne Peet-Piano, Organ & Synth 

Vinny Golia-woodwinds, gongs, singing bowls 

All Compositions and Arrangements-Vinny Golia 
Ninewinds BMI 
Trapezoid by Randy Gloss 
Recording-Wayne Peet & Vinny Golia 
(with additional remote recording by selected solo artists) 
Recorded from March 2020-August 2021 
Edited, Mixed and Mastered By Wayne Peet 
Produced by Vinny Golia and Wayne Peet 
Album Art by Carole Kim-"CB Flute" 

Special thanks for the use of the pipe organ at St. Vincent’s the Virtualist, extra-special thanks to Kathy Carbone, Wayne Peet, Steuart Liebig and Jeff Kaiser, all the players of the Bpjsornstein Contemporary Orchestra, and of course the fine soloists' contributions 

Ninewinds & pfMENTUM

11 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

So as most here know I am a huge Vinny Golia fan. Vinny has released his most largest single Movement as of the end of August digitally on bandcamp. I spoke with Jeff Kaiser of pfMentum and have been informed that a physical release is in production so, although I have listened to some of this, I am waiting for the physical release. This Movement is MASSIVE! 158 tracks that clock in around 11 hrs. 

From Bandcamp:

(Inoculation: to inoculate) 

This applies to vaccinating against the coronavirus and to mentally preparing ourselves to be strong against the onset of paranoia, boredom, depression, isolation, apathy, and all of the other symptoms of this disease that we did not anticipate. 

Even to this day…in its entirety comprises three movements. Movement One: Inoculations, which you are listening to now, is for orchestra and 21 improvisers. The complete length of Inoculations is 10 hours and 32 minutes and consists of 12 individual Modules. The second movement, Part Two: Syncretism: for the draw…is for metal band and orchestra and will be released later in 2021. Finally, as yet unnamed, the third movement for symphony orchestra and large ensemble with improvisers will be completed at the end of 2021. 

I started writing Even to this day... for my upcoming 75th birthday a year before it was to happen at the request of Rent Romus, who was organizing a concert of 75 musicians to perform the piece, unaware that Covid lurked around the corner. The performance never happened. So, I decided to go for what I wanted using real and virtual musicians performing composed music combined with improvisation—which always seems to be the best way to get what I want musically—a blend of serenity, intensity, and stability that shifts like the sands in a desert. And, as I wanted to have many of the West Coast musicians I play with represented in the music, I came up with a plan to have soloists play over a large and continually changing symphonic setting. 

Even to this day... includes soloistic journeys, short interludes, transitional forms, and improvisations involving orchestral textures. Performed live, I would have used a combination of conducting techniques I have been refining since the first concert of the Vinny Golia Large Ensemble in 1982. Unfortunately, I could not do this live because of Covid restrictions and instead created an alternate composition system to supplant and expand on those techniques. Our West Coast community of creative musicians is vast and intensely innovative, and from this communal pool, I used improvisers accustomed to performing New Music and freer forms of improvisation. Specific compositions showcase their creative talents, resulting in a myriad of improvisational approaches. For the listener, the modules within each movement can be arranged in any order but are best listened to in their original order as the compositions within each module accent each other. 

Movement One: Inoculations is the first part of over a year’s worth of work on Even to this day... The movement is a direct response to Covid, reflecting feelings and thoughts while locked down or “safer at home” for 15 months. With so much discord in the world at the moment, the chance for a few of us to collaborate on something positive seemed a great way to fight back, peacefully, against the malaise of fear, uncertainty, isolation, hostility, and depression. So, this orchestral project started in March 2020 is now ready to add the final component, the listener...  

credits

released August 25, 2021 

Featured soloists: 
Ken Filiano-Bass 
Derek Stein-Cello 
Matt Barbier-Euphonium & Trombone 
Tim Feeney-Percussion 
Randy Gloss-Hand Drums & Electronic Percussion 
Vicki Ray-Prepared Piano 
Sarah Belle Reid-Trumpet & Electronics 
Kyle Bruckmann-Oboe, English Horn & Electronics 
Jeff Kaiser-Trumpet and Electronics 
Cassia Streb-Viola 
Miller Wrenn Bass 
Nathan Hubbard-Drums & Percussion 
Steve Adams Sopranino Alto Saxophones, Alto, Bass Flutes & Electronics 
Steven L. Ricks-Trombone & Electronics 
William Roper - Bombardondino, Tuba & Extemporaneous Spoken Word 
Dan Clucas-Cornet 
Clint Dotson-Drums 
Brian Walsh-Bb, Bass, Contralto & ContraBass Clarinets 
Ellington Peet—Drums 
Wayne Peet-Piano, Organ & Synth 

Vinny Golia-woodwinds, gongs, singing bowls 

All Compositions and Arrangements-Vinny Golia 
Ninewinds BMI 
Trapezoid by Randy Gloss 
Recording-Wayne Peet & Vinny Golia 
(with additional remote recording by selected solo artists) 
Recorded from March 2020-August 2021 
Edited, Mixed and Mastered By Wayne Peet 
Produced by Vinny Golia and Wayne Peet 
Album Art by Carole Kim-"CB Flute" 

Special thanks for the use of the pipe organ at St. Vincent’s the Virtualist, extra-special thanks to Kathy Carbone, Wayne Peet, Steuart Liebig and Jeff Kaiser, all the players of the Bpjsornstein Contemporary Orchestra, and of course the fine soloists' contributions 

Ninewinds & pfMENTUM

Not a huge Golia listener but I happened to be listening to Vinny when I saw this post. I’ll be getting the physical product if it comes out on CD. I love his comments. Yes 15 months of isolation up until post vaccination. Very tough especially on these great creative musicians who hardly have an audience anyway. Wish more of the small rooms would be opening sooner. I’ve seen only one show this summer and very little of interest scheduled in NYC.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Not a huge Golia listener but I happened to be listening to Vinny when I saw this post. I’ll be getting the physical product if it comes out on CD. I love his comments. Yes 15 months of isolation up until post vaccination. Very tough especially on these great creative musicians who hardly have an audience anyway. Wish more of the small rooms would be opening sooner. I’ve seen only one show this summer and very little of interest scheduled in NYC.

I'm not 100% sure but is should be cd. I think that is the only format pfMENTUM uses. I agree about the small rooms as well, the place I saw Vinny at probably a dozen times, The Blue Whale shuttered in Dec of 2020. I had seen so many shows there it still hurts it closed.

• 7 months later...
On 9/5/2021 at 6:28 AM, Steve Reynolds said:

Out now. 12 CD set. The site is closing May 6th so not sure how it will be available after pfmentum closes  

https://pfmentum.com/product/vinny-golia-even-to-this-day-movement-one-inoculations-pfmcd145/

On 4/18/2022 at 10:52 AM, jcam_44 said:

The site is closing May 6th, so not sure how it will be available after pfmentum closes.

Do you know why the site is closing? I couldn't find any information about it. It's kind of amazing to me that Vinny put out a physical (!) 12-disc box set.

2 hours ago, Late said:

Do you know why the site is closing? I couldn't find any information about it. It's kind of amazing to me that Vinny put out a physical (!) 12-disc box set.

Yeah Jeff Kaiser is working as a professor full-time and doesn’t have the time for the label any longer. The site was supposed to close at the end of 2021 but he delayed it due to production delays.