V.S.O.P. Quintet-Historical importance

Gheorghe

I think, fitting to the VSOP thread might be also the Herbie-Chick Corea Encounter from 1978. 
That´s the same story: The two key figures of 70´s jazz, who both had played with Miles before, gathering together. 

When it was in autumn and my wife asked me what kind of records I would like, I said if it could be something similar to VSOP, from the same period, it can be acoustic or electric, just to be good music that I might like. 

And she got this one !

It was very very much discussed and listened to in 1978, and a "must have" album. I saw it only on TV then. Somehow I didn´t get the record and now finally, listenig very very much to 70´s jazz I have it.

It´s fantastic, they really cook. Maiden Voyage and Spain are really highlights, and the stride and swing jazz on "Liza" is also outstanding. It has influences of Bud and Monk in it, as Bud and Monk each did stride very well, but not copying it from others, but doing there own stuff with it.....

Hancock Corea.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think, fitting to the VSOP thread might be also the Herbie-Chick Corea Encounter from 1978. 
That´s the same story: The two key figures of 70´s jazz, who both had played with Miles before, gathering together. 

And she got this one !

It was very very much discussed and listened to in 1978, and a "must have" album. I saw it only on TV then. Somehow I didn´t get the record and now finally, listenig very very much to 70´s jazz I have it.

Hancock Corea.jpg

As is often the case with music from this era, I had missed this record, and its accompanying volume under Chick's name.

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

When it was in autumn and my wife asked me what kind of records I would like, I said if it could be something similar to VSOP, from the same period, it can be acoustic or electric, just to be good music that I might like. 

And she got this one !

This is a real challenge to set. I think it would send my partner into a total panic!

On 27.12.2021 at 8:33 AM, Gheorghe said:

And she got this one !

It´s fantastic, they really cook. Maiden Voyage and Spain are really highlights, and the stride and swing jazz on "Liza" is also outstanding. It has influences of Bud and Monk in it, as Bud and Monk each did stride very well, but not copying it from others, but doing there own stuff with it.....

Saw them live back then .... good concert marred by the acoustics of Wiener Stadthalle ;-) ....

14 hours ago, soulpope said:

Saw them live back then .... good concert marred by the acoustics of Wiener Stadthalle ;-) ....

Maybe this was the concert I saw on ORF2 then. I was in "Ausseer-Land" then for two weeks fishing and at night I saw it on TV. Maybe that´s the reason why I was not there, when they played at Stadthalle. 

And yeah, the Stadthalle had bad acoustics..... I saw Miles there, I saw Mingus (it must have been the 1976 edition with Walrath, Ford, Neloms)..... 

Much later, Hancock with Wayne Shorter was at the Opera House. And some concerts were at Concert House too. 

Those were the days when those "holy venues" sometimes were overcrowded by "wild young hipster". The old staff must have been shocked to see long haired "hippies" or "gammlers" (as older people called long haired men) instead of tuxedos and evening-dresses..... 

On 1.12.2021 at 6:27 PM, Dub Modal said:

R-2826898-1302803901.jpeg.jpg

Listening now. Bass recording is pretty wonky but after a while it stops being distracting. Good album! 

Listened to this for the first time ever. although I have since I bought the big Herbie Box eight years ago.

The sound? If this was direct-to-disk, they would have to take the loudest passage as reference level, and that was Tony Williams' drumming on Skagly. On Finger Painting all is back to normal, as Tony played at a much lower level on that track. Multi-track studio recording, different styles with varyying drum levels, and direct-to-disc - hard to gte these under one hat.

The box has the A Side in two versions - so they played it safe. For the CD they used the alternative version. 

On 31.12.2021 at 11:03 PM, mikeweil said:

Listened to this for the first time ever. although I have since I bought the big Herbie Box eight years ago.

The sound? If this was direct-to-disk, they would have to take the loudest passage as reference level, and that was Tony Williams' drumming on Skagly. On Finger Painting all is back to normal, as Tony played at a much lower level on that track. Multi-track studio recording, different styles with varyying drum levels, and direct-to-disc - hard to gte these under one hat.

The box has the A Side in two versions - so they played it safe. For the CD they used the alternative version. 

Really strange, I thought Japanese were almost perfect in making recordings. I don´t know nothing about technical aspects and how it is done. 
I have listened to it twice, and have no apearant plans to re-listen to it in the nearest future. "Skagly" is the tune with the more rock-influenced rhythm? As much as I remember, the loudest on it was the bass, I wouldn´t have so much problems if the drum was the loudest, since my hearing problem anyway is that high frequences are more difficult for me to hear so I reduce the bass level a bit, but it still was too loud bass, and maybe it´s my own tastes, but on a backbeat rhythm I prefer electric bass. The acoustic bass, even amplified makes it somehow blurred. 

I´m so happy with all the live VSOP recordings and the live sound on it, I thought they would have captured some of it on the studio album, but they didn´t. 
I think I must purchase also the VSOP II or III , though missing Freddie and Wayne on those it might not be as exiting. But Wynton was a good musician in 1980-83, nothing new but as we suposed, a nice start. But I like everything, that has Herbie,Ron and above all Tony Williams on it.....