More Favorites: Reflections on Jazz in the 1980s

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's my three posts for this week.  There's also brief comments (and YT samples) for each entry at https://jazzinthe80s.blogspot.com/

- Irakere - El Coco (JVC/Milestone, 1982)
- George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet - Earth Beams (Timeless, 1980)
- David "Fathead" Newman - Lone Star Legend: Still Hard Times - Resurgence! (32 Jazz/Muse, 1997)

Two INCREDIBLE saxophonists this week in George Adams and "Fathead" Newman.  :wub:

7 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I know its very early in the year but I am beginning to wonder if your friend will have a single entry that I will own or be curious about.

I guess depending on when that presumably happens, I'll have an idea of the over/under for the rest of the year.

Dan -- I wouldn't sweat the fact that there hasn't been much overlap.  There's nothing empirical or objective about my survey.  It's just a list of albums that I particularly enjoy.  Our tastes just may be different.

In fact, when we get to the end, I'd love to hear about your 80s jazz favorites that you think I've missed.  After all, my goal is to "expand my ears," discover new things that I haven't heard before.  I may think some of your choices are wonderful -- and some of them might not be for me. 

That's the fun thing about these sorts of projects.  And I think that's the appeal of this forum too.  :) 

Earth Beams is an absolute classic.

I think I heard somewhere that former British  Chancellor of the Exchequer Kenneth Clarke is a big fan of the album. Which is weird, but at least everyone can agree that he's right on the one thing.

I think I'm most interested in exploring some of the David Newman records that you mention. I don't know his post-70s work, and some of the lineups look like dream team sessions. 

12 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Earth Beams is an absolute classic.

I think I heard somewhere that former British  Chancellor of the Exchequer Kenneth Clarke is a big fan of the album. Which is weird, but at least everyone can agree that he's right on the one thing.

I think I'm most interested in exploring some of the David Newman records that you mention. I don't know his post-70s work, and some of the lineups look like dream team sessions. 

And there I was all ready to give the album a chance to convince me of Adams/Pullen (I know, I know....) and you go and mention Ken "Hushpuppies" Clarke

31 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

IMO, Newman did his best work in the 80' s, 90's, and 2000's.  And that runs absolutely counter to what my expectations would have been, given my general preferences for 60's and 70's music.  'Heads Up' and 'Fire' on Atlantic are favorites.  His idea of adding a vibes player was as inspired as it was unexpected, and he picked some good ones (Steve Nelson and especially Bryan Carrott).

Edited by felser

12 minutes ago, felser said:

IMO, Newman did his best work in the 80' s, 90's, and 2000's.  And that runs absolutely counter to what my expectations would have been, given my general preferences for 60's and 70's music.  'Heads Up' and 'Fire' on Atlantic are favorites.  His idea of adding a vibes player was as inspired as it was unexpected, and he picked some good ones (Steve Nelson and especially Bryan Carrott).

felser, which of Fathead's albums of the 90s and 00s are your favorites?  Just curious.  I have a couple of his HighNotes and that's it.

16 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

felser, which of Fathead's albums of the 90s and 00s are your favorites?  Just curious.  I have a couple of his HighNotes and that's it.

'Davey Blue' is probably my favorite, but I don't remember a bad or even mediocre one in the bunch.  If you like Ellington tributes, 'Mr. Gentle, Mr. Cool' is an especially inspired one.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

And there I was all ready to give the album a chance to convince me of Adams/Pullen (I know, I know....) and you go and mention Ken "Hushpuppies" Clarke

Supposedly he picked something by the group on his Desert Island Discs appearance.

He also makes an appearance as a talking head on that Jazz Britannia programme at some point. 

Great taste in jazz; even greater taste in footwear.

• 2 weeks later...

I can talk only about Adams-Pullen from the three that were mentioned. 

Earthbeams is a classic, like @Rabshakeh said.

And I saw them live in 1980, a wonderful performance and the last time I saw Richmond live. He is one of my very favourite drummers. 
Sure they played "Double Arc ...." and they also played a seldom version of Pullen´s "Newcomer" that was recorded with Mingus on "Mingus Moves" 
And sure there was also an Adams blues shouting like the "Don´t use Control" (fine album cover)...
I´m glad I saw so many performances

I didn't post anything on my 80s jazzblog last week.  (It's been crazy-busy at work, and then I was sick for a few days.)  But I'm getting caught up.

Here's last week's set:

- Andrew Cyrille - Special People (Soul Note, 1981)

- Lee Konitz & Martial Solal - Duo: Live at the Berlin Jazz Days 1980 (MPS/PAUSA, 1982)

- John Abercrombie Quartet - M (ECM, 1981) 

The Abercrombie LP gets my vote in the category of "1980s ECM Releases That Aren't Recognized as Classics But Should Be." 

I'll post this week's set of three tomorrow.

I've now published this week's entries on my jazzblog focusing on jazz in the 80s.  They are:

- Egberto Gismonti & Academia De Danças - Sanfona (ECM, 1981)

- Richard "Groove" Holmes - Broadway (Muse/32 Jazz, 1982)

- Jaco Pastorius - Word of Mouth (Warner Brothers, 1981)

See the site for commentary and select YT clips.   As always, I'd love to hear what YOU think.  :) 

I also wanted to share some posts from Dan, my collaborator on this year's blog project.  Here are his entries over the last couple weeks:

- John Surman - The Amazing Adventures of Simon Simon (ECM, 1981)

- Terje Rypdal - To Be Continued (ECM, 1981)

- Woody Shaw - United (Columbia, 1981)

- Gerald Wilson Orchestra of the 80s - Lomelin (Discovery, 1981)

- Art Lande, David Samuels, Paul McCandless - Skylight (ECM, 1981)

- Richie Beirach - Elegy for Bill Evans (Trio/Palo Alto, 1981)

I could have very easily included several of Dan's choices on my list -- particularly the Woody Shaw and the Richie Beirach albums. :tup 

if we are already in 81,82, will there be also the first two Miles-Comback albums included. I mean, at least over here, 1981,82 that was one of the main discussions, and I liked We Want Miles, since it is live and a touring group that sounded exiting. 

From the 3 mentioned I only know the Word of Mouth, since it was very much spinned and discussed over here. 

Woody Shaw, thanks God got the attention he deserved in the early 80´s with that dream band with Mulgrew Miller, Stafford James and Tony Reedus..... , I am glad I saw him live when he was at the peak of his power. 

8 hours ago, Niko said:

I would begin with the earlier Pacific Jazz albums that were in the Mosaic, like Portraits

I agree with Niko.  I think of the Pacific Jazz stuff as the "core" of Wilson's output.  My favorites:

- You Better Believe It (1961, with Groove Holmes) 
- Moment of Truth (1962)
- Portraits (1964)
- The Golden Sword (1966)

I like GW's 80s stuff... but -- aside from the Pacific Jazz records -- the GW album I spin most frequently is In My Time (Mack Ave, 2005). 

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

if we are already in 81,82, will there be also the first two Miles-Comback albums included. I mean, at least over here, 1981,82 that was one of the main discussions, and I liked We Want Miles, since it is live and a touring group that sounded exiting. 

Dan and I have just crossed over into albums that were recorded in 1981. 

Star People would be my pick from Miles' comeback years.  But I didn't include it my survey.  It's highs are HIGH... but it's inconsistent as an album, IMO.  No judgment in an absolute sense.  Just not a "favorite."

IIRC, Dan didn't include any Miles either.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Woody Shaw, thanks God got the attention he deserved in the early 80´s with that dream band with Mulgrew Miller, Stafford James and Tony Reedus..... , I am glad I saw him live when he was at the peak of his power. 

And I think the addition of Steve Turre took that band to an even higher level.

Edited by HutchFan

10 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I don’t know Gerald Wilson at all. Are the 80s records the ones to begin with?

The Pac Jazz one's get the recs but his later work stands out to me, especially those on Mack Avenue which have impressive line ups that include Renee Rosnes, Kamasi Washington, Dick Oatts, Gary Smulyan, Jeremy Pelt, Lewis Nash, et al. And I make that rec while having that Mosaic Pac Jazz set - great tunes but also of their time. His more contemporary albums perhaps don't get the credit they should.

Anyway, I've neglected his 80s albums, so I'll try those as well. :tup