Happy 95th birthday to Lou Donaldson

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

my offical statement on linclon ctr (reposted)

THANKS FOR DOIN THIS- BLUE NOTE WOULD BE NO MORE REMEMBERED THAN COMMODORE OR KEYNOTE RECORDS, HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR LOU

Oh, what about Fred Jackson?

Back in the day, in a Dobells listening booth, someone had crossed out Charlie Parker as the world's greatest jazz musician and put in Fred Jackson. It wasn't me, or my mate. Did you ever get to Dobells, Chewy?

MG

Well I'm glad to hear he received as major a shout-out as they could of thrown together, I guarentee you we, would of gone further (KINKOS CAN YOU GIVE ME A 64x75 COLOR PRINT OF THIS LOU 78 LABEL?)  Good update.  

----

in this house we believe w/o BNs early success w/ Lou, it never would of evolved as a modern label the way it did, it would of remained a hot jazz revivial footnote label a la Commodore. 

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

• 11 months later...

Spoke to Lou yesterday. He sounded good. He's coming up to NYC on Monday for a birthday event at Dizzy's. A cassette I was just listening to had something left at the end of the tape that must have been recorded over earlier. I recognized it as a gig in NJ from 1986 of Lou, Al Harewood and myself. Just a snippet, but a moment preserved...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL6ZC0TxGHw

27 minutes ago, Michael Weiss said:

Spoke to Lou yesterday. He sounded good. He's coming up to NYC on Monday for a birthday event at Dizzy's. A cassette I was just listening to had something left at the end of the tape that must have been recorded over earlier. I recognized it as a gig in NJ from 1986 of Lou, Al Harewood and myself. Just a snippet, but a moment preserved...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL6ZC0TxGHw

You sound so great, Michael ! 

And Lou back then. I like that stuff much more than the later organ featured quartets. I´m sure that rhythm-changes tune might be "Wee" though you don´t hear the theme that was standard program of Lou. That´s first rate be-bop, your piano, Lou´s alto.....

Thank´s for sharing.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

You sound so great, Michael ! 

And Lou back then. I like that stuff much more than the later organ featured quartets. I´m sure that rhythm-changes tune might be "Wee" though you don´t hear the theme that was standard program of Lou. That´s first rate be-bop, your piano, Lou´s alto.....

Thank´s for sharing.

Thanks Gheorghe. That melody Lou plays at the end is not Wee. It's something else.

19 hours ago, Michael Weiss said:

Thanks Gheorghe. That melody Lou plays at the end is not Wee. It's something else.

I heard only the improvised chorusses. But anyway, there are so many "rhythm-tunes", most of them in Bflat. If  players call "rhythm changes tune in B flat" , I´d play what they suggest. Many dudes want "Anthropology" since it seems it´s part of Jazz-School repertory, some or even more dudes  want "Oleo", some want it with lesser notes like "Lester Leaps In" or "Second Balcony Jump". I like  "Shaw Nuff" for the intro it has...., or Rhythm Changes in other keys like E-flat, A flat or D-flat, F or C, and some have the rhythm changes in the A parts and other chords in the brigde. 

• 11 months later...
12 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

When Lou gets to 100 they should declare a national holiday - working musicians day.

PS my favorite LD albums are Natural Soul and Gravy Train, so relatively early but greasy.  Of the later era my fav is probably Say It Loud 'cause it's got James Brown and Gershwin and Ellington and original tunes too.

I have "Natural Soul" , it´s a nice easy listening album but I have not spinned it for decades. 
Some of my favourite Lou Donaldson is where he is a sideman, like the Art Blakey Quintet at Birdland with Clifford Brown, and some other earlier BN albums led by Horace Silver or Jimmy Smith (A Date with Jimmy Smith Vol. 1 and 2 with Donald Bird, Hank Mobley, Lou Donaldson and Art Blakey). 
Then very much the album "Lou Takes Off" .
In general I like most those kind of albums. Okay, "Blues Walk" is very nice, it´s more easy listening like "Natural Soul". 
I also have "Midnight Creeper" which is also quite nice, but that´s about the last LD I listen to. I threw a 1974 album in the garbage can, so weak it was. 

After his comeback I heard him often in a quartet with his former pianist Herman Foster, than the last time a few years ago with a japanes girl on organ....

About a year back I noticed that musicbrainz had photos of the Lou Donaldson Mosaic set booklet ( https://musicbrainz.org/release/68c6e801-6648-4b4d-a246-7a1af02cb564/cover-art ) and went for a cd quality download of the music from Presto ($40, which is published as digital media by Blue Note).  I had heard most of it at one time or another but enjoy getting a coherent bunch of albums with the Mosaic treatment.  A lot of Donaldson's output has aged really well, IMO. 

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

On 11/5/2023 at 6:24 PM, Stompin at the Savoy said:

About a year back I noticed that musicbrainz had photos of the Lou Donaldson Mosaic set booklet ( https://musicbrainz.org/release/68c6e801-6648-4b4d-a246-7a1af02cb564/cover-art ) and went for a cd quality download of the music from Presto ($40, which is published as digital media by Blue Note).  I had heard most of it at one time or another but enjoy getting a coherent bunch of albums with the Mosaic treatment.  A lot of Donaldson's output has aged really well, IMO. 

Unless Mosaic has granted them the right to post these on their site, posting them seems like a case of copyright infringement.