A funny time capsule of an era

I never mind being quoted, but always appreciate being asked first, especially when it's more than a sentence or two.

And just for the record, I am not now, nor will ever claim to be, a "jazz historian". I'm a guy who listens to records and stuff and then draws conclusions. That's it.

Ok?

4 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

..0in a way you are a historian of the music because you definitely have unique perspective on how you felt about records then AND now that is very interesting. 

Oh, I think most people who pay attention do that. "jazz historian", that's like, a vocation or some shit.

Dan Morgenstern is a Jazz Historian. Me, I'm just a guy with records and opinions. :)

I do thank you for valuing my comments, though. Don't mean to give the impression that I don't.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Oh, I think most people who pay attention do that. "jazz historian", that's like, a vocation or some shit.

Dan Morgenstern is a Jazz Historian. Me, I'm just a guy with records and opinions. :)

I do thank you for valuing my comments, though. Don't mean to give the impression that I don't.

And that is the old guard dying out, Morganstern et al. Incredible information but then how do you modernize that, with a no pun intended new perspective and  make it palatable to new generations? I write about things interesting to me--  it just so happens maybe a few (or maybe not) dig it along the way  For me what you said about Butler circa 2008 encapsulated what that thing was with Blue Note in the 70's in such a real way it was dead on. Having been born in '81 and growing up on a lot of the previous decades music hearing it in my childhood-- that stuff was still kind of fresh and I have friends who love Blue Note albums from this era, and music from the era that some of us here just may find men, but it does kind of reach new generations. That is my goal with some of my writing-- to reach new fans, generations but in a way they won't get from a mainstream publication

Happy you find it of use then, thanks!

If I have a bit of difference from the "critical orthodoxy", it might be that I do not re oil in horror from "commercial" efforts, I just recognize them for what they are, right? But hell, a good time can be had by all, even if what TYPE of "good time" is being had will not - and need not - be the same for everybody. Democracy vs fascism,. But I don't know how radically "unique" that perspective is...maybe it's just that it's here on a public form that makes it seem that way.

Anyway, again, thanks for your kind words, and maybe go back and check out that LA Phil record again...IIRC, the Hutch material is actually pretty strong, and Carmen McRae...is Carmen McRae, she gonna do what she do, period. For the Hutch material alone, "Hello To The Wind"!

https://www.jazzdisco.org/blue-note-meets-the-l-a-philharmonic/discography/

Bobby Hutcherson Sextet Meets The L.A. Philharmonic

Emanuel Boyd, tenor, soprano sax; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; George Cables, piano; James Leary, bass; Eddie Marshall, drums; Bobbye Porter, percussion; The Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Calvin Simmons, conductor; Dale Oehler, arranger.

"Hollywood Bowl", Los Angeles, CA, August 13, 1977

19720 Slow Change Blue Note BN-LA870-H
19721 Now -
19722 Hello To The Wind -
19723 Now (reprise) -

Carmen McRae Meets The L.A. Philharmonic

Marshall Otwell, piano; Andy Simpkins, bass; Joey Baron, drums; Carmen McRae, vocals; The Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Calvin Simmons, conductor; Bill Holman, arranger.

19724 Star Eyes Blue Note BN-LA870-H
19725 The Man I Love -
19726 Sunday -

6 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

An article I wrote that discusses an album that I think no one here holds in high regard, Blue Note Live At the Roxy but it holds a special place for me.  I tried to be a bit humorous, and also quoted some of Jim's posts upon the death of George Butler here. https://bit.ly/3H4yefw 

Any change you could copy and paste this? I’m struggling to access it for some reason, not being on tumblr.

56 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Any change you could copy and paste this? I’m struggling to access it for some reason, not being on tumblr.

55 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

The link? Sure! https://jazzviewswithcj.tumblr.com/post/667451197950722049/shizukas-vault-a-funny-little-time-capsule-of-an

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

And that is the old guard dying out, Morganstern et al. Incredible information but then how do you modernize that, with a no pun intended new perspective and  make it palatable to new generations? I write about things interesting to me--  it just so happens maybe a few (or maybe not) dig it along the way  For me what you said about Butler circa 2008 encapsulated what that thing was with Blue Note in the 70's in such a real way it was dead on. Having been born in '81 and growing up on a lot of the previous decades music hearing it in my childhood-- that stuff was still kind of fresh and I have friends who love Blue Note albums from this era, and music from the era that some of us here just may find men, but it does kind of reach new generations. That is my goal with some of my writing-- to reach new fans, generations but in a way they won't get from a mainstream publication

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Happy you find it of use then, thanks!

If I have a bit of difference from the "critical orthodoxy", it might be that I do not re oil in horror from "commercial" efforts, I just recognize them for what they are, right? But hell, a good time can be had by all, even if what TYPE of "good time" is being had will not - and need not - be the same for everybody. Democracy vs fascism,. But I don't know how radically "unique" that perspective is...maybe it's just that it's here on a public form that makes it seem that way.

Anyway, again, thanks for your kind words, and maybe go back and check out that LA Phil record again...IIRC, the Hutch material is actually pretty strong, and Carmen McRae...is Carmen McRae, she gonna do what she do, period. For the Hutch material alone, "Hello To The Wind"!

https://www.jazzdisco.org/blue-note-meets-the-l-a-philharmonic/discography/

Bobby Hutcherson Sextet Meets The L.A. Philharmonic

Emanuel Boyd, tenor, soprano sax; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; George Cables, piano; James Leary, bass; Eddie Marshall, drums; Bobbye Porter, percussion; The Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Calvin Simmons, conductor; Dale Oehler, arranger.

19720 Slow Change Blue Note BN-LA870-H
19721 Now -
19722 Hello To The Wind -
19723 Now (reprise) -

Carmen McRae Meets The L.A. Philharmonic

Marshall Otwell, piano; Andy Simpkins, bass; Joey Baron, drums; Carmen McRae, vocals; The Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Calvin Simmons, conductor; Bill Holman, arranger.

19724 Star Eyes Blue Note BN-LA870-H
19725 The Man I Love -
19726 Sunday -

And those parts of the album I really liked. When the reissue of that album came out I bought it because my mom remembered "With One More Look At You" from that album was played on the radio when I was a baby. She always loved that version.  She was still living when I got the CD and confirmed that was indeed the version. As I've gotten older I've learned to not just slag "commercial efforts" because sometimes they are indeed fun

Enjoyed the article.  Thanks for posting it.

Confession time - I have both of the Blue Note Live at the Roxy CDs as well as the Blue Note meets the LA Philharmonic CD.  I also have Mind Transplant, Natural Illusions, In A Special Way, and Tone Tantrum, The Man Incognito, Pressure Sensitive, and Fever - which were mentioned in the article and all on CD.

Is that too much information?   :huh:

32 minutes ago, Lyin' Wolf said:

Pressure Sensitive, and Fever 

Neither of those are bad records. Ronnie Laws has skills. Imagination, not so much, but if that's what you want, hey, look elsewhere. He could play that music just fine, at least as long as the producers let him.

7 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

The link? Sure! https://jazzviewswithcj.tumblr.com/post/667451197950722049/shizukas-vault-a-funny-little-time-capsule-of-an

And those parts of the album I really liked. When the reissue of that album came out I bought it because my mom remembered "With One More Look At You" from that album was played on the radio when I was a baby. She always loved that version.  She was still living when I got the CD and confirmed that was indeed the version. As I've gotten older I've learned to not just slag "commercial efforts" because sometimes they are indeed fun

Both Carmen McRae and Marlena Shaw did not disgrace themselves on Blue Note. On fact, Shaw's  Who Is This Bitch, Anyway? has aged pretty well, even if the title has not.

54 minutes ago, Lyin' Wolf said:

Enjoyed the article.  Thanks for posting it.

Confession time - I have both of the Blue Note Live at the Roxy CDs as well as the Blue Note meets the LA Philharmonic CD.  I also have Mind Transplant, Natural Illusions, In A Special Way, and Tone Tantrum, The Man Incognito, Pressure Sensitive, and Fever - which were mentioned in the article and all on CD.

Is that too much information?   :huh:

Not really.  It's just important we acknowledge the era.  In A Special Way I've streamed several times and don't connect with.  Ditto The Man Incognito.  I've tried to listen to all the records I mentioned there as honestly as possible, and welp, just didn't connect.  In terms of my collection rebuild, I got a bevy of discs from a professor, Dr. Bill Banfield, which included titles from across the spectrum, as far as "smooth jazz", I love Stanley Clarke's East River Drive, the title track just creates this great vibe.