Paris Record Stores/Clubs

Eric

Would recommend visiting the store Paris Jazz Corner @ 5 Rue De Navarre. Great selection of vintage vinyl. But pricey.

As far as clubs, we have enjoyed the Sunset/ Sunside @ 60, Rue Des Lombards. Caught Chris Potter's Underground there six years ago.

Enjoy!

LWayne

I'll second the recommendation of PJC for shopping for jazz records. Another one that I liked is CROCOJAZZ, 64 Rue de la Montagne Sainte Geneviève (5th arrondissement). It's much smaller than PJC but has interesting selections that might just be up your alley. And the owner is very friendly, helpful and always willing to talk shop with collectors. I checked the internet and recent entries indicate the shop is still in existence. And it's listed here, for example:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187147-d6684563-Reviews-Crocojazz-Paris_Ile_de_France.html
https://recordstores.love/4264

But as you never know if all these sites are kept up to date all the time I won't guarantee anything (it's been more than 10 years since I've been able to check on site in Paris myself). But if you walk the streets around Crocojazz then do keep your eyes open for other shops. I remember two other record shops with sizable jazz sections in the neighborhood (within easy walking distance up and down the streets) in that area but do not recall their names (one is/was in a sort of basement).

Recorstores helps a lot, about 100 stores in the city:

https://recordstores.love/FR/Paris

My usual expensive walk consists in going first in Châtelet/les Halles area in the very center  (La Fnac,  OCD Lescot,  Libraire Gilda), then in Quartier Latin on the Left Bank (Gibert Joseph, Crocodisc, OCD les Ecoles, Crocojazz, Dame Blanche and Paris Jazz Corner).

Otherwise, a lot of shops in Eastern Bastille (Le Silence De La Rue, Souffle Continu for example) and a few not far for Barbès/Montmartre area (I quite like Balades Sonores).

During the weekend, there is also a flea market in Saint-Ouen in the North of Paris with a dozen of small record shops in and around one of the main buildings, but I have not been there in more than  5 years.

For new stuff, I higly recommend Gibert Joseph (also fantastic for new and second-hand DVDs). For jazz records Paris Jazz Corner and Crocojazz are highly recommended but are indeed very expensive.

23 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I'll second the recommendation of PJC for shopping for jazz records. Another one that I liked is CROCOJAZZ, 64 Rue de la Montagne Sainte Geneviève (5th arrondissement). It's much smaller than PJC but has interesting selections that might just be up your alley. And the owner is very friendly, helpful and always willing to talk shop with collectors. I checked the internet and recent entries indicate the shop is still in existence. And it's listed here, for example:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187147-d6684563-Reviews-Crocojazz-Paris_Ile_de_France.html
https://recordstores.love/4264

But as you never know if all these sites are kept up to date all the time I won't guarantee anything (it's been more than 10 years since I've been able to check on site in Paris myself). But if you walk the streets around Crocojazz then do keep your eyes open for other shops. I remember two other record shops with sizable jazz sections in the neighborhood (within easy walking distance up and down the streets) in that area but do not recall their names (one is/was in a sort of basement).

As of October, Crocojazz is still open. However, everything (new or second hand) )is priced with a 20% discount for more than a  year, so the best items from the shop are gone and I wonder if it does not indicate that the shop will close within a few months/years. 

Edited by aparxa

I love it at Paris Jazz Corner.

Gilbert Joseph is pretty good for classical material but, for classics, I really like Melomania, 36 Bd St Germaine. Beautiful shop; material well displayed; friendly staff; I don't think it's terribly cheap, but not too expensive for my pocket either.

What I miss about Covid is not being able to go to Paris.

MG

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'll be in Paris in April for a week and a half.

oh, "April in Paris" 😀

You are lucky !

There must be something about Paris in the month of April. And that ballad expresses the feelings so well. And related to music and live in general. Sorry to say not have been in Paris yet, but my two hometowns are also fancy towns and there is something in the air in that month that´s very special. You have musical inspirations, And it was April when I had my first date with the girl I married....and the atmosphere had something very similar to "April in Paris" , those wonderful smelling blossoms in the old city park, a gentle glimpse of a spring rain, and the most beautiful girl in town with me....

Edited by Gheorghe

On 2/8/2023 at 11:06 PM, Gheorghe said:

oh, "April in Paris" 😀

You are lucky !

There must be something about Paris in the month of April. And that ballad expresses the feelings so well. And related to music and live in general. Sorry to say not have been in Paris yet, but my two hometowns are also fancy towns and there is something in the air in that month that´s very special. You have musical inspirations, And it was April when I had my first date with the girl I married....and the atmosphere had something very similar to "April in Paris" , those wonderful smelling blossoms in the old city park, a gentle glimpse of a spring rain, and the most beautiful girl in town with me....

That's a lovely memory! I was there once in April. I'd just had a lovely dinner and gotten a fresh street nutella crepe (it's a weakness, what can I say?). I walked on to the beautiful Pont des Arts in a gentle rain and stood at the rail. There was no one else there, and it was as if I had the city all to myself. The tower was sparkling in the distance, the Louvre to one side, the Institut on the other.  If I didn't already love Paris, then at that moment, I would have fallen in love with it all over again.

10 hours ago, gmonahan said:

That's a lovely memory! I was there once in April. I'd just had a lovely dinner and gotten a fresh street nutella crepe (it's a weakness, what can I say?). I walked on to the beautiful Pont des Arts in a gentle rain and stood at the rail. There was no one else there, and it was as if I had the city all to myself. The tower was sparkling in the distance, the Louvre to one side, the Institut on the other.  If I didn't already love Paris, then at that moment, I would have fallen in love with it all over again.

That´s also a wonderful memory.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Not so lucky. Here for work and very tense. Today will be the first time I am leaving my hotel or the work location in a week, even to eat. Hoping to get some goodies to cheer myself up.

Oh, that sounds familiar.  Business travel can be a drag. Hope you find some gems & enjoy your not-at-work time today.