David Amram on NY Phil Conductor Dimitri Mitropoulos

I love this:

One time we were riding an elevator together and the elevator operator said to Mitropoulos, “Maestro, I’m a songwriter!” Instead of saying, “I’m not interested, just be quiet and take me to my floor,” Mitropoulos said, “Oh, really? What kind of songs do you write? Do you like Cole Porter? Do you have any songs with you? You do? Then stop the elevator!” And the maestro looked through the guy’s song sheet, saying, “This is interesting. This chord here, I think it’s a C-sharp minor—you left the sharp out … and I like this harmony here… ” Mitropoulos gave the elevator man a whole crash-course Juilliard Ph.D. in music theory—and in a nice way. He always went out of his way for anybody and everybody.

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2019/12/19/nows-the-time-an-interview-with-david-amram/

Edited by Teasing the Korean

On 11/21/2021 at 1:03 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

I love this:

One time we were riding an elevator together and the elevator operator said to Mitropoulos, “Maestro, I’m a songwriter!” Instead of saying, “I’m not interested, just be quiet and take me to my floor,” Mitropoulos said, “Oh, really? What kind of songs do you write? Do you like Cole Porter? Do you have any songs with you? You do? Then stop the elevator!” And the maestro looked through the guy’s song sheet, saying, “This is interesting. This chord here, I think it’s a C-sharp minor—you left the sharp out … and I like this harmony here… ” Mitropoulos gave the elevator man a whole crash-course Juilliard Ph.D. in music theory—and in a nice way. He always went out of his way for anybody and everybody.

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2019/12/19/nows-the-time-an-interview-with-david-amram/

Thanks for posting this interview TTK! It inspired me to email DA about a guitar transcription I made of one of his tunes.

He got back to me, and said he wants to play with me sometime.