ORNETTE COLEMAN - ROUND TRIP: ORNETTE COLEMAN ON BLUE NOTE

dougcrates

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Brad said:

It’s a Tone Poet set. No CDs, no downloads. 

Well I know the Morgan set was strictly not a Tone Poet - but certainly of the same “build” - and digital versions there.  Seems odd they would turn away the dollars

Edited by Eric

Well, these Tone Poet LPs can sound very good indeed so if you have a decent turntable and don’t already have the material on LP they can be an attractive proposition. Hence the wetting of oneself in anticipation going on in some quarters e.g. on SHF regarding this set.

Personally not interested as have all of them on LP.  £210 here in the UK and not available until end of Jan. Almost $ for £ - extortionate.

Edited by sidewinder

5 minutes ago, mhatta said:

They should release BN4210 & BN4211 properly (ESP's "Town Hall Concert" is incomplete) or "Complete Trio At The Golden Circle Stockholm" (there are lots of rejected/unissued takes).  I can dream, can't I?

That's more than a dream, it's actually totally reasonable.

9 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Artifact marketing, not music.

This.

33 minutes ago, mhatta said:

They should release BN4210 & BN4211 properly (ESP's "Town Hall Concert" is incomplete) or "Complete Trio At The Golden Circle Stockholm" (there are lots of rejected/unissued takes).  I can dream, can't I?

There is apparently a treasure trove of unreleased vintage Ornette Coleman recordings with the estate.   Given that Ornette didn't seem to want them released when he was alive, perhaps the estate continues to honor that?

4 minutes ago, John L said:

There is apparently a treasure trove of unreleased vintage Ornette Coleman recordings with the estate.   Given that Ornette didn't seem to want them released when he was alive, perhaps the estate continues to honor that?

If an artist or their estate owns the masters, they can stop it from coming out. Not true when the masters are owned by a label like Blue Note. The label can release it if they want.

13 hours ago, Eric said:

Well I know the Morgan set was strictly not a Tone Poet - but certainly of the same “build” - and digital versions there.  Seems odd they would turn away the dollars

It’s hard to understand their thinking.

Yes, it’s commerce but is that an evil concept. At least the albums are being made (although I’m sure there must be copies on Discogs). With the TPs they’ve established a name where it sells to a wide audience. I would have preferred to see the albums released individually but this way the set is guaranteed to sell.  It won’t surprise me if some buyers break up the set and sell the individual records at a premium. 

7 hours ago, mhatta said:

totally. there's no reason this material shouldn't be out already in one or two spots.

7 hours ago, bresna said:

If an artist or their estate owns the masters, they can stop it from coming out. Not true when the masters are owned by a label like Blue Note. The label can release it if they want.

True.  I didn't have in mind the additional Golden Circle tracks owned by Blue Note.   But mhatta also mentioned the 1962 Town Hall Concert which I believe is in the hands of the Coleman estate along with a lot of other music. 

Edited by John L

2 hours ago, felser said:

I doubt if BN owns any rights to the Town Hall material, as it was to be leased, was rejected, and some of it released on ESP-Disk a couple of years later.

As I understand it, BN made a deal with Ornette for the Town Hall material and actually made test pressings for 2 lps.  Then (somehow)  Bernard Stollman (operating as Ornette's manager) issued an ESP lp. Ornette recorded the Golden Circle material as a "make good" for the project. I think I have told this before.

4 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

As I understand it, BN made a deal with Ornette for the Town Hall material and actually made test pressings for 2 lps.  Then (somehow)  Bernard Stollman (operating as Ornette's manager) issued an ESP lp. Ornette recorded the Golden Circle material as a "make good" for the project. I think I have told this before.

So there must have been more material on the 2-LP test pressings than on the single LP ESP disk. I wonder if any of the test pressings survived.

All of Ornette´s material for BN is great, it´s interesting that the very first OC on BN I heard and purchased was Empty Foxhole, when I was a teenager, since it was the only avaiable acoustic Coleman at that time. 

But all BN´s including his sideman playing with JackieMcLean is much more conservative than other projects. I always call it "Free Jazz Light". Especially "Cry of Love" and the other from the same date "New York" or somehow like this, are very accessible OC releases. I like most "Garden of Souls".