Lee Morgan was shot dead 50 years ago.

Dmitry

9 minutes ago, felser said:

My intro to Morgan was Blakey's "Toys in the Attic" on my local jazz station (WRTI - Temple University) later in 1972.  Led me to go buy "Live at the Lighthouse", my furdt jazz purchase.

John, do you listen much at all to Morgan's 50s work? Just curious.

As for the photo, this is like, the best photo, non Francis Wolff Division, of Hank.

36 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

John, do you listen much at all to Morgan's 50s work? Just curious.

Dan, yes. I have all his 50's leader dates and enjoy most of them quite a bit.  Hard to go wrong with Blue Notes from that period.  But my favorite Morgan's are from later:   'The Gigolo', and his last album, the one with Billy Harper

13 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

it's been a long time, but Slugs, IIRC, was small and narrow. I don't remember a kitchen. I saw Ornette there in transcendent form, and strangely enough, Jean Genet was sitting at a table on the night I saw Mingus.

I don´t know Jean Genet, but to see Mingus always was fantastic. I was too young to see him in the 60´s , but had two occasions in the late 70´s . When did you see him ? 

15 hours ago, felser said:

Dan, yes. I have all his 50's leader dates and enjoy most of them quite a bit.  Hard to go wrong with Blue Notes from that period.  But my favorite Morgan's are from later:   'The Gigolo', and his last album, the one with Billy Harper

I have some of his 50´s leader dates, but if I want to listen to one 50´s Morgan as a leader, I always listen to "The Cooker" with Pepper Adams, Philly J.J, that fantastic version of Tunisia and Lover Man....

The earlier dates are not so inspiring for me. I have them as cardboard mini LP editions, but I´m not sure which is which, some have Lee as the leaders, others have Mobley as the leader, one is a ballad album (I think "Candy")....., but really my favourite from that period is "Cooker".

2 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Less space for tables more space for drinking customers, ergo less free space in the cash register. The first lesson I learned in my bar ages ago. And free and salty snacks to increase the thirst.

I have a hard time imagining four people at a table, even with just drinks, unless they were all  on the slight side of stature. Anybody tall and/or wide, they take up two spots automatically.

Then again, I've been in crowded joints like that, But I was slimmer then.

I accept the possibility that this photo was taken at the Village Vanguard.

1. Tables are the same, or similar, but tables are tables, they could be replaced.

2. In the background, we can see a wall, with wooden staves. In my opinion, this is a partition between the main floor and the section of tables lined up along the wall.

3. To Lee's left we can see a small section a velvet curtain, for which the Village Vanguard is famous.

Lee appears to be seating on the stage, his back touching the curtain. Approximate position is in front of where George Cables is seated on this photograph.

29CABLES-jumbo.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp

I'm trying to find a photograph of the view from the stage. Meanwhile, I think Lee may have been seated on the edge of the far left of the stage, where the speaker is hanging now. 

GettyImages_88428491.0.0.jpg 

We can see the partition on this photograph. It's on the right. 

image.jpg

Did Lee and Hank perform at the Vanguard? 

18 minutes ago, bresna said:

According to Feather's Encyclopedia, Rein de Graaff "Visited US in late 67, sat in w. Lee Morgan; Hank Mobley", so since this photo has been attributed to him (he is still alive BTW), it is likely to have been taken in the US and not Europe.

I have a series of photos with Rein de Graaf and Kenny Dorham on the street in the East Village (Avenue A and 6th Street) and one photo he took of KD performing with Louis Hayes and Chick Corea. I don't have them on this computer though, I'll have to dig through some stuff to find them....

14 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

11011814_1447356632248658_5503645520329677406_n

Looks a little like Wally's Cafe in Boston:

Uplift Locally

Although I saw some great music at Wally's, I really don't miss that place much. We were jammed in there like sardines, it was hotter than hell (even in the winter) and the cigarette smoke was brutal. Maybe it's time to visit again? :) Oh wait, they pack that place so tightly that they haven't been able to re-open due to Covid.

1 hour ago, david weiss said:

The place card on the table certainly looks like it bears the Slugs logo.

Yes, that is a clue.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

According to Feather's Encyclopedia, Rein de Graaff "Visited US in late 67, sat in w. Lee Morgan; Hank Mobley", so since this photo has been attributed to him (he is still alive BTW), it is likely to have been taken in the US and not Europe.

How can he be contacted?

Maybe it is because I heard the 1950's Lee Morgan Blue Note albums when they were first issued, but they are strong favorites of mine. He was a bright fresh new trumpet star in the 50's, and recorded with great hard swinging musicians such as Horace Silver, Hank Mobley, Pepper Adams, Wynton Kelly, and Philly Joe Jones, Charlie Persip and many others.

Though I certainly enjoy most of Lee Morgan's recordings throughout his entire career, those from the 1950's hold a special place in my love of his music.