Great Space-Age LPs Hidden in the Jazz Section

6 minutes ago, sgcim said:

I got back to thinking about a film on that whole scene with Mulligan, that whacked out chick that he did the cross country trip with, and her other BF, Graettinger. There's got to be a lunatic film director who's a jazz version of Ken Russell, and instead of making warped films about classical composers, wants to make warped films about jazz musicians. Just imagine; Mullligan and what's-her-name, acting out Ayn Rand novels- that's worthy of Ken Russell himself, if he was still alive.

I think you'd do better with David Lynch on that one.

Gayle Madden was her name, btw.

Maracas by Madden!!!

Shaken, Stirred, and What Have You Heard?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

I really liked the change in timbre on that one.

The whole album (Neal Hefti - Li'l Darlin') sounds like that.  It dates from that all-important cutoff year, 1964.   I imagine Hefti writing the charts in late 1963, thinking that space-age modernism would continue forever, having no idea that the Beatles would come along in a few months and ruin everything.  

I would like to see a full-brained analysis dedicated to decoding the whole matter of headshots (in both painting and photography), like, the angle of the head, the direction of the eyes, the selected perspective, all that. It goes back, geez, forever, and we all just look at it. I wanna know the secret language of intent. DECODE THAT SHIT!!!!!

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I would like to see a full-brained analysis dedicated to decoding the whole matter of headshots (in both painting and photography), like, the angle of the head, the direction of the eyes, the selected perspective, all that. It goes back, geez, forever, and we all just look at it. I wanna know the secret language of intent. DECODE THAT SHIT!!!!!

Secret language of intent = Semiotics. It's been decoded and all the marketing gurus live and breathe it. 

42 minutes ago, JSngry said:

So what's up with that painting of Jack Quigley?

Ha, man I'm no expert and I know nothing of Quigley or this particular genre. So from that perspective I see a clean cut, blue-eyed white guy from pre-Civil Rights USA looking up in hopeful optimism, perhaps to that Celestial Hillbilly Heaven. There's probably design concepts about left-to-right, angle, etc. involved as well. 

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

So what's up with that painting of Jack Quigley?

He is looking upward toward outer space, and to a beautiful, mechanized future in which technology will solve all of our problems! 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Did you guys know that beloved film and TV composer Oliver Nelson slummed it as a jazz musician before he got a real job?

And the opening track from his obscure 1961 jazz album shows that he was already auditioning for the gig. It would fit nicely on Henry Mancini's Peter Gunn album.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

9 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

..from that perspective I see a clean cut, blue-eyed white guy from pre-Civil Rights USA looking up in hopeful optimism, perhaps to that Celestial Hillbilly Heaven. There's probably design concepts about left-to-right, angle, etc. involved as well. 

39 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

He is looking upward toward outer space, and to a beautiful, mechanized future in which technology will solve all of our problems! 

- 

Isn't this two different ways of saying the same thing? :g

My father used to buy space age bachelor tomb jazz at some discount record store, "The Keating Sound " led by Johnny Keating, the British Stan Kenton?

I'm reading the autobio of Vic Flick, guitar player for the John Barry 7. Some really funny stories about their TV days on "Drumbeat". It was a long road to 007.