BFT 216
1. April in Paris with Brownie, Harold and Max?
2. Medley, possibly JATP. Prez, Summertime with Cootie, Sassy Come Rain or Come Shine
3. Bowed bass, soprano and piano.  Very lyrical.  Maybe Jane Ira Bloom?
4. Mal Waldron.  I recognized musical materials from a familiar source but didn't place it right away.  I realized it was the First Encounter album by Mal and Gary Peacock, but this is not a track from that album.  It does remind me why I love that album, and this too.
5. Electric piano enters the picture, but still feels more hard bop than fusion.  Sounds like it pushes the harmonic edge a little more than your average Messengers date.  Maybe Stanley Cowell?
6. Adele Sebastian?  She was part of the Horace Tapscott Arkestra scene and passed away very young.
7. That sounds like Terje Rypdal, but Rypdal as sideman, or early Rypdal.  I've also heard Brandon Ross play in the style so Harriet Tubman is my backup guess.  Near the end there may be some electronics in the mix, so I also thought of Andrew Cyrille's ECM with Blll Frisell.
8. Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child.  Wow. I want to know who this is.  Only weak guess I can offer is Dwight Trimble.  As soonas I typed "no piano" the piano came in, so it could be with Horace Tapscott.  Changing my mind to Archie Shepp, maybe with Joe Lee Wilson.
9. Not Ibrahim because no piano, but it's got that township sound.  Now some vocals that sound more American than South African.  I'll google Mama Ann after I post my initial guesses.  In desperation I'll guess Thomas Buckner with Roscoe Mitchell.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, randyhersom said:

BFT 216
1. April in Paris with Brownie, Harold and Max?

Negative, sir.  ID'd above as Thad Jones.

2. Medley, possibly JATP. Prez, Summertime with Cootie, Sassy Come Rain or Come Shine

Nope.  ID'd above (and your guess on that track would apply nicely to this one ;)  )

3. Bowed bass, soprano and piano.  Very lyrical.  Maybe Jane Ira Bloom?

It is not, but perhaps adjacent in terms of era.

4. Mal Waldron.  I recognized musical materials from a familiar source but didn't place it right away.  I realized it was the First Encounter album by Mal and Gary Peacock, but this is not a track from that album.  It does remind me why I love that album, and this too.

Indeed, Mal (he fools no one).  Jim and Felser both ID'd Mal, but I don't believe the album has been pegged, yet.

5. Electric piano enters the picture, but still feels more hard bop than fusion.  Sounds like it pushes the harmonic edge a little more than your average Messengers date.  Maybe Stanley Cowell?

Fair to say Stanley's influence is prevalent, but not him. 

6. Adele Sebastian?  She was part of the Horace Tapscott Arkestra scene and passed away very young.

DING!  DING!  Nailed it!

7. That sounds like Terje Rypdal, but Rypdal as sideman, or early Rypdal.  I've also heard Brandon Ross play in the style so Harriet Tubman is my backup guess.  Near the end there may be some electronics in the mix, so I also thought of Andrew Cyrille's ECM with Blll Frisell.

None of these people, though certainly in the right realm of players.

8. Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child.  Wow. I want to know who this is.  Only weak guess I can offer is Dwight Trimble.  As soonas I typed "no piano" the piano came in, so it could be with Horace Tapscott.  Changing my mind to Archie Shepp, maybe with Joe Lee Wilson.

Can I talk you into maybe stepping back?  Trible and Tapscott are correct (ID'd above). 

9. Not Ibrahim because no piano, but it's got that township sound.  Now some vocals that sound more American than South African.  I'll google Mama Ann after I post my initial guesses.  In desperation I'll guess Thomas Buckner with Roscoe Mitchell.

It is not, but again, you're hunting in the right neighborhood.

2 hours ago, randyhersom said:

I'll finish Randy's good work on this cut.  It's track #3 on this .  Wonderful album from a wonderful label.  Nimbus West did incredible work in L.A., not sure why Allbach moved the base of operations to Europe, as there seemed to be so much more to do with Tapscott & Co.

1 minute ago, felser said:

I'll finish Randy's good work on this cut.  It's track #3 on this .  Wonderful album from a wonderful label.  Nimbus West did incredible work in L.A., not sure why Allbach moved the base of operations to Europe, as there seemed to be so much more to do with Tapscott & Co.

Maybe because they actually support art there? 

7 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Maybe because they actually support art there? 

I hear you, but it was such a loss to us to not have the UMGAA scene recorded more.

OK, I think I have #4, it's cut #4 from this , and I am not otherwise familiar with that bass player, who knocks me out on this cut!  I have the CD, but haven't listened to it in 15-20 years, need to remedy that.  So much music, so little time.  What a blessing to have that "problem".

3 minutes ago, felser said:

I hear you, but it was such a loss to us to not have the UMGAA scene recorded more.

OK, I think I have #4, it's cut #4 from this , and I am not otherwise familiar with that bass player, who knocks me out on this cut!  I have the CD, but haven't listened to it in 15-20 years, need to remedy that.  So much music, so little time.  What a blessing to have that "problem".

Aside:  Is it just me, or does the reply/quote feature on this forum royally suck?

Okay, now to the comment from Felser, no sir, that's actually not it.  Though, you have presented me with a Mal album not in my collection, so now I have to address that. 

7 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Aside:  Is it just me, or does the reply/quote feature on this forum royally suck?

Okay, now to the comment from Felser, no sir, that's actually not it.  Though, you have presented me with a Mal album not in my collection, so now I have to address that. 

Funny coincidence, I recognized Mal and that album was the most likely source in my collection, so I played it a few days ago and concluded #4 was from elsewhere.

Fine album, though. I have it as part of the big Waldron Black Saint/Soul Note box, one of my favorites from that set (which contains a few oddballs).

Edited by T.D.

40 minutes ago, felser said:

So we still have 3/4/5/7/9 to ID.  Gonna guess Gary Bartz on #3, based on both my ears and your cryptic clues "Avenue" "Neighborhood"?  

Not a bad guess, but no. 

26 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Just off the top of my head and out of my ass, David Friesen?

Nope.  Only DF in my collection is with Billy Harper.  [some rules I just can't break]

3 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Oh, go get Jubilant Power by Ted Curson.

To be fair, DF is on a lot of good dates in that period (hence my Harper reference), but ugh... what happened to that guy?  Have you seen his "Morning Coffee Jazz" stuff?  Pretty sure it's Kenny G approved.

Friesen appears to have had his brain fried by his religious choices. At least that's what the scuttle on the street was in NYC the one time in 1980 I hung out to consider whether or not I wanted to move their. "Killing swing for Jesus" was the way one player (who will remain nameless) put it rather acerbically.

To be fair, I don't know the real deal, but it was the dawning of a lot of stuff like Windham Hill, new-age "tranquility" stuff, and hey be it crystals or be it Jesus, you usually get out of it what you come looking for, right. Until you don't, if you don't.

All I know is that at one time he was a very energetic (sometimes annoyingly so, but ok) bassist who always dove in head first. And then he wasn't 

Really none of my business, but it's not an unfair question.

I get the impression that this particular conversion was done neither quietly or passively. Even allowing for the usual furor that often accompanies Trans-Abrahamic Transferences, this one seems to have permanently burned all sorts of bridges, possibly because the music was what ultimately got betrayed.

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

I get the impression that this particular conversion was done neither quietly or passively. Even allowing for the usual furor that often accompanies Trans-Abrahamic Transferences, this one seems to have permanently burned all sorts of bridges, possibly because the music was what ultimately got betrayed.

Eloquently and aptly stated.  Not going to lie, though, my first instinct was to give you Slim Pickens reply to Harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles, but it seemed sacrilegious to do so.

I didn't know all this about Friesen.

His most recent recording in my collection (w. Denny Zeitlin) dates from 1999 and sounds reasonable.

I had the impression he'd gone a bit "ECM" / "spiritual" / whatever, but unaware of details. Also never knew that Dyan Cannon is his sister.

Friesen's website merely mentions  folk-flavored things and classical and Jewish veins.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

and to be (more than) fair, what I was hearing was a late-70s thing. 40+ years in the past. So maybe long ago it became a non-thing, like Dylan.

Dylan seems to love being a non-thing, enjoying recording a cheesy christmas album and a 3-disc Sinatra tribute, doing his great radio show, etc.  

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

I was referring to his religious "conversion". Definitely became a non-thing.

Yeah, that was all pretty confusing, though one profound classic song ("Every Grain of Sand") came from it.  But his spiritual/moral stuff that really hits me is on 'John Wesley Harding'.

22 hours ago, tkeith said:

Eloquently and aptly stated.  Not going to lie, though, my first instinct was to give you Slim Pickens reply to Harvey Korman in Blazing Saddles, but it seemed sacrilegious to do so.

"You use your tongue purtier than a 20 dollar whore"?