Joe Henderson - So Near, So Far

Teasing the Korean

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

btw - if you like Weather Channel music, here: https://twcclassics.com/

There are quite extensive playlists w/samples. Both John Scofiled and Jackie Gleason are included.

I tolerate Weather Channel music only when trying to determine how to dress on a particular day.  But thanks anyway!  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the space-age bachelor pad music of today. Today's bachelor leads a balanced life and leaves the pad before returning to it, always dressed properly, and stylishly.

and since weather today it so overwhelmingly satellite-driven, it is by definition space age.

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I would argue that electronica is the space-age bachelor pad music of today, in terms of style, function, and inventiveness.  But I respect your opinion, as always.

As much as you get under my skin, which is admittedly as much me as you, this I find to be an interesting take - How do you feel about the Sanders/Floating Point thing from last year?

12 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

As much as you get under my skin, which is admittedly as much me as you, this I find to be an interesting take - How do you feel about the Sanders/Floating Point thing from last year?

Why do I get under your skin?  We all have different opinions and approach music with different reference points and from different perspectives.  I didn't think my take on this album would be so polarizing - many of the respondents agree with me. 

I don't know about the "Sanders/Floating Point" thing.   It appears to be Pharoah Sanders with a symphony orchestra, correct?  I will check it out.  I can say that I love the collaboration between Ornette Coleman and Howard Shore on Naked Lunch, and I think Ornette should have received equal billing.

1 minute ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Why do I get under your skin?  We all have different opinions and approach music with different reference points and from different perspectives.  I didn't think my take on this album would be so polarizing - many of the respondents agree with me. 

I don't know about the "Sanders/Floating Point" thing.   It appears to be Pharoah Sanders with a symphony orchestra, correct?  I will check it out.  I can say that I love the collaboration between Ornette Coleman and Howard Shore on Naked Lunch, and I think Ornette should have received equal billing.

I could attribute it to this or that, for instance what I see as a rather relentless forwarding of persona, but honestly I don't know for sure.  Ultimately my problem to figure out or just let it be - can't be on everyone's wavelength.  But do check out Promises and yes it does have the London Sympathy Orchestra on it.  I'm less taken by it than I was at first - but hearing it at the record store while I work is no doubt not the ideal setting for full appreciation.

12 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I could attribute it to this or that, for instance what I see as a rather relentless forwarding of persona, but honestly I don't know for sure.  Ultimately my problem to figure out or just let it be - can't be on everyone's wavelength.  But do check out Promises and yes it does have the London Sympathy Orchestra on it.  I'm less taken by it than I was at first - but hearing it at the record store while I work is no doubt not the ideal setting for full appreciation.

I will check it out.  I am actually a very nice person, and I would enjoy the opportunity to have a drink with you next time I am in Portland. 

I still don't understand how it's inappropriate to have Miles' 80's sound represented by somebody who actually played that way. This is a concept record and that's exactly the concept. Is it inappropriate to execute a concept?

The concept itself is spurious, imo. But they didn't ask my opinion, you know? They decided and then they executed. Verve did that a lot in those days and some of them worked better than others 

No matter, one also has the opportunity to hear John Scofield on a Jay McShann record  Check it out 

The concept of this record could work well, I think FWIW, but it only just barely does.  Sco with McShann works in its own weird way.  As does his bad joke title Country For Old Men.  He and Frisell works, he and Miles, he and Eddie Harris (Hand Jive), ScoLoHoJoMoFo not so much.  IMHO, YMMV, and sometimes his guitar sound is part of the problem and sometimes it's part of the solution, always part of the mix.

Ilhan Mimaroglu, maybe...he did the McShann record and used him with Mingus.

But Scofield was on the Cobham/Duke record on Atlantic...people might forget that once upon a time he was a really interesting sideman who brought a quirky inside/out eely phrasing to the game (especially with Miles). And then he got famous (ok, jazz-famous) and things started evening out. Inevitable, I suppose, and he's not the only guy who leveled out over time (that's probably the rule rather than the exception). But this "Omnibook" reference is cracking me up, because....no. Not even.

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Are you coming around to Joe more these days, Larry?

Maybe so. Based on my response to "So Near, So Far," it may be that I like the cooler, more puzzle-making/puzzle-solving side of JH -- what I alluded to above as "heady." The more heated side of JH I've seldom found particularly convincing.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Honestly, I've found his "heated" stuff to quite often enough be "heady". Of course, there were times, in retrospect, where he was kinda coasting, for whatever reason. But that's something else altogether.

Also, going back a good ways, I was never particularly convinced by JH's "outside" episodes, which often coincided with him getting heated.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I never heard Joe "going outside". He was just playing the tenor. It can do that, you know.

I'm no JH scholar but I seem to recall some squawkly, squally stuff early on that sounded rather pasted on or "willed"  to me. But as this point, who cares?