Dennis González (1954-2022)

clifford_thornton

Dallas-based trumpeter/flugelhornist, educator, and composer Dennis González passed on Tuesday, March 15 at 67. I was lucky to see him a few times when I lived in Austin, and his sons Stefan (percussion) and Aaron (bass) many times. I know the last decade or so had been a struggle owing to significant health challenges, and surely he's at peace now.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/music/dennis-gonzalez-who-died-tuesday-wanted-to-be-the-hero-of-his-own-legend-he-was-13617933

His recordings for Daagnim, Silkheart, Clean Feed, Ayler, and Qbico (among other labels) are all superb. 

Others here knew him on a more personal level than I did (especially Sangrey) and probably have some stories. Great man, glad to have shared the air with him.

Was sad to learn of this yesterday. He always showed me great kindness.

DMN obituary: https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/music/2022/03/16/dennis-gonzalez-dallas-trumpeter-and-teacher-dies-at-67/

My interview with him from 2001 (this was also the first time I met him): https://www.onefinalnote.com/features/2001/gonzalez/

Wish we had been able to hook him up better to discuss his Blindfold test,  He created a Blindfold test that I missed, but wasn't able to log in and comment.

For a few years I kept up with him on his corner at JazzCorner (or was it AllAboutJazz)   He was exceptionally welcoming to listeners and sent a personal note after I ordered several CDrs, including some featuring Jim Sangrey.  He appreciated Oregon and ECM as well as Ornette and Trane, and the younger influences his sons brought to Yells at Eels.  Everything I have heard has been worthwhile, and together covers a wide range of styles and moods.  He will be missed, but he will continue to be appreciated for a long time to come.

Such a shame, some are taken from us just too young 

I discovered his music in the late 80s with 'Debenge Debenge' which just knocked me out. I have followed his recordings closely since and have many on my shelves. 

I had some communication with him when ordering direct,. I remember sending payment in $ cash as requested which seemed bizarre but worked. He seemed an absolute gem of a person on this limited evidence.

I only saw him live once, he played a solo set and it was every bit as good as I'd hoped.