Jazz At The Grocery Store

Late

I don't know what streaming service, or satellite radio, my local grocery store subscribes to, but it has been playing a lot of Blue Note titles in the last year or so. Today, while standing in the bulk section, I heard "Good Old Soul" from True Blue and "Somethin' Special" from Leapin' & Lopin'. I knew the track from the Sonny Clark album right away, but it took me a while to place the Tina Brooks album—I kept thinking I was hearing something from a Freddie Hubbard album.

Any other grocers spinning Blue Notes? I wonder if my store will eventually get to Conquistador. Probably not.

Edited by Late
Cecil Taylor

Two of the local wine outlets that I occasionally patronize play jazz.  One plays jazz exclusively; the other alternates between jazz and classical.  You never hear pop or rock in either location.  I always make a point of complimenting their musical choices.  

Jazz Goes to the Grocery Store should have been a Brubeck album.  

21 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I ran a jewelry catalog showroom back in the mid-1980s and I remember hearing Stephane Grappelli and also Meade Lux Lewis on the easy listening station that we played in the store in place of Muzak.

I worked part time at a liquor store in college and the owner had an old Onkyo turntable set up, on which I played a variety of jazz records. Fun times.

also, if jazz was heard at the seafood store, would it be "Jazz at the Prawn Shop" ?

Thing is these establishments can’t play their own recordings from home right? They have to lease rights via BMG or whomever or they get sued. I’ve always thought a good way around that would be to have a live dj spinning no more than 1 or 1.5 minutes of a song. Imagine that at a Waffle House. 

A cafe nearby my home (not Jazz Kissa or private management, a national chain)'s BGM is mainly Jazz, and plays Herbie Nichols quite often.  I sometimes wonder what Herbie would think if he knew that his music was being played in a cafe in the Far East 60 years after his death.

4 minutes ago, mhatta said:

I sometimes wonder what Herbie would think if he knew that his music was being played in a cafe in the Far East 60 years after his death.

That is a thought that lingers in one's mind. So many people receive attention only after they're gone.

I remember a few months ago I was visiting Boothbay Harbor up the coast from me and walking up to a breakfast eatery. From the takeout window you could hear jazz playing clearly in the background. It was a Herbie Hancock Blue Note title. The guy claimed it was his wife who was responsible being a jazz fan.

1 hour ago, BillF said:

I sat in a Starbucks in Southport, UK identifying Cannonball, Nat, Timmons .... If anything it was a distraction from the coffee. The right things in the right places, you know?

Yusef Lateef on Atlantic was playing (years ago) at the Starbucks in Bath. Also Lee Morgan, can’t recall the title.