Anybody here see Lester Young, Billie Holiday or Bird?

medjuck

I wonder how many people in general are still alive who saw all three.  Roy Haynes, obviously (he *played* with two of them--did he ever gig with Billie?), Sonny Rollins, and Dan Morgenstern come to mind in terms of jazz world figures; I'm sure there are some others--fans who were teenagers when JATP was on the road in the late 1940s and throughout much of the 1950s.    

I saw Billie Holiday live on British television in the Spring of 1959 when I was 19.

I was in Manchester. I guess she was in London.

Another I saw (1957) who's been gone a very long time (1964) was Jack Teagarden.

Edited by BillF

Already mentioned  here several years ago that I was to accompany  François Postif when he interviewed Lester Young but had to abstain because I had to prépare an important school  examination. My eternal  regrets!

As for Lady Day,  caught her when she .sang at the Paris Olympia in November 1958. She was not in top form .but I found her beautiful.

Saw  her also shortly after when she and Mal Waldron had dinner   with Postif and à couple of friends at  Chez Gaby’s near Pigalle.  She was in top form that night.

On 27/04/2022 at 3:26 PM, BillF said:

I saw Billie Holiday live on British television in the Spring of 1959 when I was 19.

I was in Manchester. I guess she was in London.

A clip of that was on the recent Billie Holiday documentary, I think the engagement was at the London Palladium. Mal Waldron was on piano and is visible in the clip.

They ‘colourised’ the clip in the documentary.

Edited by sidewinder