It's the Post-Pandemic Covid Poll!

Post Pandemic Covid Poll, Looking backward, looking ahead  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Per the CDC, community transmission rates are still substantial to high across the majority of US population centers. Likely will be more variants, with long-term effects still largely unknown. Hopefully advancements are made in treating and understanding this disease so that future cases years & decades down the road don't lead to more unnecessary deaths. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

My wife has been suffering the effects of COVID since last Friday. 5 of the teachers on her team, including 2 that carpool with her have also gotten it. It's gotten pretty bad at her school. I don't know how they are finding subs for all of these sick teachers.

I'm still negative but it sucks having to keep apart until she gets better. We have a new puppy and because dogs can get it, she has to stay away from him too.

She had her doctor prescribe the new anti-viral medication Paxlovid, which seems to be helping a bit. She says that shortly after she takes it, she gets a nasty metallic taste in her mouth. She says it's horrible. I told her she should consider herself lucky that she can still taste anything. :)

Edited by bresna

1 hour ago, bresna said:

She had her doctor prescribe the new anti-viral medication Paxlovid, which seems to be helping a bit. She says that shortly after she takes it, she gets a nasty metallic taste in her mouth. She says it's horrible. I told her she should consider herself lucky that she can still taste anything. :)

Paxlovid may have a much more permanent effect of taste alteration. And it's also now been reported that not long after treatment and seeming recovery, the virus comes back among Pax users, sometimes just testing positive, sometimes with worse symptoms.

https://www.statnews.com/2022/05/24/paxlovid-rebound-has-covid-researchers-looking-for-theories/?utm_campaign=rss

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/05/pfizer-paxlovid-covid-pill-side-effects/629772/

So hopeflly she avoids that as well and gets better soon.

14 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Paxlovid may have a much more permanent effect of taste alteration. And it's also now been reported that not long after treatment and seeming recovery, the virus comes back among Pax users, sometimes just testing positive, sometimes with worse symptoms.

https://www.statnews.com/2022/05/24/paxlovid-rebound-has-covid-researchers-looking-for-theories/?utm_campaign=rss

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2022/05/pfizer-paxlovid-covid-pill-side-effects/629772/

So hopeflly she avoids that as well and gets better soon.

She felt that she had to do something, as all of the traditional cold medications were doing nothing to alleviate the symptoms. She is feeling better today, but it is only day 2 of taking Paxlovid.

I have a co-worker who took Paxlovid two weeks ago and he did start feeling lousy again a couple of days after he stopped taking it, so it does appear that Paxlovid isn't any sort of "COVID killer".

• 4 months later...

Pfizer's President of International Developed Markets testified under oath yesterday that its COVID-19 vaccine was not tested on preventing transmission before release.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/pfizer-exec-concedes-covid-19-vaccine-was-never-tested-on-preventing-transmission_4788577.html

(N.B.  Some people here do not like The Epoch Times.  Everyone is welcome to post a relevant article from his preferred source.)

On 10/13/2022 at 11:40 PM, GA Russell said:

Pfizer's President of International Developed Markets testified under oath yesterday that its COVID-19 vaccine was not tested on preventing transmission before release.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/pfizer-exec-concedes-covid-19-vaccine-was-never-tested-on-preventing-transmission_4788577.html

(N.B.  Some people here do not like The Epoch Times.  Everyone is welcome to post a relevant article from his preferred source.)

So what? It's the antivaxxers that latch onto this as some sort of "victory" in their fight against the vaccination. The vaccine helps prevent you from dying. That's enough for me.

BTW, https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/ is a better website to find out about what happens when you don't get vaccinated than The Epoch Times.

This Johns Hopkins guy has been around longer than the Epuck Times and this is what he says:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/vaccines-faq#:~:text=These%20people%20have%20asymptomatic%20infection,body%20and%20from%20causing%20disease.

How do vaccines work?

Vaccines stimulate the human body’s own protective immune responses so that, if a person is infected with a pathogen, the immune system can quickly prevent the infection from spreading within the body and causing disease. In this way, vaccines mimic natural infection but without actually causing the person to become sick.

For SARS-CoV-2, antibodies that bind to and block the spike protein on the virus’s surface are thought to be most important for protection from disease because the spike protein is what attaches to human cells, allowing the virus to enter our cells. Blocking this entrance prevents infection.

Not all people who are infected with SARS-CoV-2 develop disease (Covid-19 is the disease caused by the virus SARS-CoV-2). These people have asymptomatic infection but can still transmit the virus to others.

In general, most vaccines do not completely prevent infection but do prevent the infection from spreading within the body and from causing disease. Many vaccines can also prevent transmission, potentially leading to herd protection whereby unvaccinated people are protected from infection by the vaccinated people around them because they have less chance of exposure to the virus. We are still learning whether or not the current Covid-19 vaccines prevent transmission of SARS-CoV-2. It is likely they reduce the risk of virus transmission but probably not completely in everyone. This is one of the reasons why it will still be important for people to continue wearing masks and practicing physical distancing, even after being vaccinated.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

This Johns Hopkins guy has been around longer than the Epuck Times and this is what he says:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/vaccines-faq#:~:text=These%20people%20have%20asymptomatic%20infection,body%20and%20from%20causing%20disease.

Jim, what guy?  I don't see anyone's name listed as the author.

Last year,I  tested positive for the virus after getting both doses. All that happened to me was that I took a few more naps than usual for a few days. That was it.

I am over 65, overweight, and have diabetes. I consider the extra naps a blessing. 

So yes to vaccination. And no to noise. 

I've never treated the vaccinations like they will prevent transmission of the virus.  That they reduce the spread is a benefit, but the vaccination is primarily to prevent me from dying if/when I get Covid.

Masks are there to help reduce the spread, so I don't pass it along to people who are more compromised than I am.  I've lost 3 people in my immediate orbit (1 family member and 2 co-workers) to the virus, and I don't want my health-compromised in-laws or anyone else I care about dying because I (or someone else who doesn't care whether they get and pass along Covid) they get it.

So I get the vaccine for me, and wear masks in close quarters/crowds to help prevent giving and passing the virus to others.

I don't understand anyone who thinks differently, and have yet to hear a convincing argument for other viewpoints. 

12 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

I've never treated the vaccinations like they will prevent transmission of the virus.  That they reduce the spread is a benefit, but the vaccination is primarily to prevent me from dying if/when I get Covid.

Masks are there to help reduce the spread, so I don't pass it along to people who are more compromised than I am.  I've lost 3 people in my immediate orbit (1 family member and 2 co-workers) to the virus, and I don't want my health-compromised in-laws or anyone else I care about dying because I (or someone else who doesn't care whether they get and pass along Covid) they get it.

So I get the vaccine for me, and wear masks in close quarters/crowds to help prevent giving and passing the virus to others.

I don't understand anyone who thinks differently, and have yet to hear a convincing argument for other viewpoints. 

Exactly!

I picked up the virus about 2 weeks ago even though I've had all 3 boosters. But the effects were minimal. At first I thought my allergies were acting up (headache, runny nose, etc), but something didn't seem right so I decided to self-test and I was positive. It turns out those symptoms were about the worst of it. My doctor prescribed Paxlovid for me, but I probably could have gone without it. Why take that chance, though? I'm sure my "illness" such as it was, was reduced considerably by getting vaxed.

BTW, I'm over it now and have recently re-tested Negative.

15 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Yes, and yes again.

I'd had three doses and I caught it a couple of months ago. Two days feeling very unwell indeed (far worse than flu) several just under par and a couple of weeks of hangover fatigue. 

I have an underlying chronic condition of the lungs so had been doing my utmost to avoid it but it got me nonetheless. I was so pleased I'd had the vaccine doses as without I would probably have been in hospital. Booster next week for me.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:34 AM, Aggie87 said:

Yes, that's me as well. Exactly! We no longer have mask mandates here, but I continue to use them where I think it's appropriate. Every bit helps.

And I especially agree that we should do the vaccines to protect ourselves (depending on age, health, etc), again every bit helps!

But my only issue is that we were lied to about the vaccines stopping the spread. That's a different thing altogether and has NOTHING to do with getting vaxxed to protect yourself. And yet kind, generous people, friends of mine lost jobs and businesses for nothing! Turns out that my vax status had NO effect on anyone else and vice-versa, as we were forcibly led to believe.

Melbourne, Australia endured the longest lockdown in the world! Got vaxxed to 95% (apparently), then finally opened up and cases soared and continued to do so. They did all this in spite of experts warning that this was merely delaying the inevitable. And it was not the unvaxxed "overloading' our hospitals sadly (that's an official statistic).

So, it wasn't a "pandemic of the unvaccinated" after all. Nice slogan though!

But that was precisely the reasoning behind the mandates! Easy to forget I guess, but I vividly remember reading the vitriol spat at the 'anti-vaxxers' right here on this forum.

My hat's off to them Govt./Media people. Clever chaps!

Proud to say I never had an issue with 'anti-vaxxers' from day one, even though I was on the other side. Many are friends and had genuine reasons. Two of them are Doctors!!

Anyway, sorry (but grateful) to all for my vent here, especially after being away for so long.

Sincere best to all and cheers!

Edited by Marzz

On 4/27/2022 at 5:32 PM, Dan Gould said:

Please review these graphs and advise why they are not evidence that mask usage did not have a lot of effect. I am prepared to be educated (and I myself wore a mask quite regularly, KN95, until I was vaccinated and boosted.) First one is US States with and without mask mandates, cumulatively; second is Germany (effective mask mandate per survey results regarding use) vs Sweden (minimal mask usage per surveys).

4.17.22-All-States.png

Mask mandates are not the same thing as the share of the population wearing masks.   A lot of people wore masks in states where masks were not mandated.  Alternately, a lot of people held private events without masks in states where masks were mandated. 

That said, the virus has become so contagious that masks probably more delay than prevent the inevitable for people who spend a lot of time with exposure to other people.  

2 hours ago, Marzz said:

So, it wasn't a "pandemic of the unvaccinated" after all. Nice slogan though!

Of course it was! Look at the statistics after the vaccine was introduced. A large percentage of those dying after the vaccine came out were un-vaccinated idiots. And yes, they are the real idiots, not those of us who use the term "anti-vaxxer". Why are they idiots? Because the vaccine could have saved their lives.In case you don't want to read that story, the key point is this, "We estimated that vaccinations prevented 14·4 million (95% credible interval [Crl] 13·7–15·9) deaths from COVID-19 in 185 countries and territories between Dec 8, 2020, and Dec 8, 2021".

BTW, what makes an anti-vaccine stance even more idiotic, at least here is the US, is that is became a political stance of the far right, resulting in a lot more deaths in that group of Americans. These people were proud to take their medical advice from Tucker Carlson instead of their doctors and quite a few of them died for it.

Edited by bresna

12 minutes ago, bresna said:

Of course it was! Look at the statistics after the vaccine was introduced. A large percentage of those dying after the vaccine came out were un-vaccinated idiots. And yes, they are the real idiots, not those of us who use the term "anti-vaxxer". Why are they idiots? Because the vaccine could have saved their lives.In case you don't want to read that story, the key point is this, "We estimated that vaccinations prevented 14·4 million (95% credible interval [Crl] 13·7–15·9) deaths from COVID-19 in 185 countries and territories between Dec 8, 2020, and Dec 8, 2021".

BTW, what makes an anti-vaccine stance even more idiotic, at least here is the US, is that is became a political stance of the far right, resulting in a lot more deaths in that group of Americans. These people were proud to take their medical advice from Tucker Carlson instead of their doctors and quite a few of them died for it.

I'm old enough (just turned 65) to remember people in wheelchairs because of polio, as well as families who had lost members.

Would have been much worse if today's moronic standards prevailed in those days.