Warne Marsh

Nate Dorward

20 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Thought I'd mention  the Supersax live in Japan album. There's some stunning Warne there.

614TVpHNzbL._AC_US218_.jpg

That's the one I was spinning when, during a Marsh solo, I realized that I was staring at one of the stereo speakers as if trying to see what he was doing.

http://www.warnemarsh.info/new_page_2.htm

second to bird, warne has the most insane live-ography in jazz!

you know to this day I havent heard the complete Warne November 1981 Village Vanguard- its on the list!!    I have  a single track from that (of 5 cds worth of stuff).  And its one of my favorite warne solos (sound-lee, village vanguard 11-81)-- None of you dawgs have that right, i mean i think its pretty rare-

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

That's a good one!

This is essential music, it's criminal that it's OOP, but if you got $200, don't hesitate.

R-11971690-1525755983-3669.jpeg.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Half-Note-Lee-Konitz/dp/B0000046TF

Better, though, to spend the time/money on hunting down the two Revelation LPs that consist solely (almost) of Warne's solos from the same sessions, Lennie's go at being Dean Benedetti. The Art Of Improvisation Vols. 1& 2. For my mind and money, this is the definitive look at all that Warne did, although not necessarily the mist "user-friendly".

R-9658269-1484332520-1268.png.jpg

R-7866031-1450479611-7215.jpeg.jpg

You'll also want these (if you want any)

R-4998087-1381709672-6436.jpeg.jpg

R-4998066-1381709414-8986.jpeg.jpg

I wasn't thrilled with the Konitz "Live at the Half Note."  I think there was a reason it wasn't released at the time, and that was Bill Evans, who sounds (to these ears) drugged out and aimless.  Whatever groove the group is whipping up gets doused by Evans's comping and solos.  YMMV, of course.  BTW, the mp3 of that album goes for $6.93: https://www.amazon.com/Live-Half-Note-Lee-Konitz/dp/B00FBO354S/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1535579055&sr=1-1-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0&keywords=konitz+half+note

u reminded me i need 'jazz from east village' and art of improv vol 1.  Yea you guys that Warne at dana point is prob of the best archival releases weve ever had.

anyone recall if there was a good story about the tapes being located in the liners for that- i looked it up and it was released 2004- probably right before i stopped putting cds in giant binders, disposing of booklets :( :( 

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

• 2 years later...
On 29/08/2018 at 7:33 AM, JSngry said:

You'll also want these (if you want any)

R-4998087-1381709672-6436.jpeg.jpg

R-4998066-1381709414-8986.jpeg.jpg

I can recommend those Wave releases - I bought them directly from Peter Ind a number of years back

On 13/06/2021 at 7:48 AM, Rabshakeh said:

An interesting old thread.

Upthread, there are a number of non-legit or informal tapes mentioned in hushed semi-religious terms (or sometimes less hushed CAPS LOCK…). Did any of them get a legitimate release in the intervening 16 years?

do you have a list of those "tapes" (I'm interested myself) or are you extrapolating from Jack Goodwin's excellent online discography?

http://www.warnemarsh.info/discography_2.htm

one of the more interesting recent releases is the LAJI (Los Angeles Jazz Institute) CD "Coolin' Off In California - The Tristano-ites Invade Hollywood" (primarily a Warne Marsh effort)

3 hours ago, romualdo said:

do you have a list of those "tapes" (I'm interested myself) or are you extrapolating from Jack Goodwin's excellent online discography?

http://www.warnemarsh.info/discography_2.htm

one of the more interesting recent releases is the LAJI (Los Angeles Jazz Institute) CD "Coolin' Off In California - The Tristano-ites Invade Hollywood" (primarily a Warne Marsh effort)

I don’t. The references are pretty obscure. I’ll check out Coolin’ Off though.

On 28/08/2018 at 6:44 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Image result for warne marsh sal mosca   Image result for warne marsh sal mosca

dawg........

been trying to source these '81 Village Vanguard CDs for a while now - just found out that Cadnor (were Cadence & Klompfoot) stock them & are still a viable concern. I thought they'd closed down a while back (bought from them consistently over 1999 to 2012)

Bought both VV volumes from cadnor yesterday for $35 incl tax and mailing. It’s been quite challenging for me since mid 2020 to explore Warne Marsh’s recordings, when very little is on major labels or in what’s left of used-goods circulation. Yes, thank god/CN for All Music, a massive treat.  Has Warne Out ever been legitimately issued digitally?  It’s posted on youtube….  Why not some beat-the-boots for sale/stream on bandcamp by the artist estate?  

18 minutes ago, AmirBagachelles said:

Has Warne Out ever been legitimately issued digitally? 

It's tucked away inside here:

https://www.discogs.com/Warne-Marsh-Groups-Noteworthy/release/11859033

But ah, er, ah...here's something I've never seen,,,OG album + extra material?!?!?!?!

https://www.discogs.com/Warne-Marsh-Warne-Out/release/13542567

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Warne Marsh at one of our sessions in February 1976. He wanted me to use this on the cover and call the record "Warne Out". I declined because it might confuse my customers, but he used that title on another record. Photo credit to Terry Martin.

243925047_4711166455561006_3590342913966

Think you made the right decisions there.

11 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Think you made the right decisions there.

True, but a missed opportunity of a sort too, at least in terms of a title that would always bring a smile to my face, and even a sensible chuckle to go with.

Lee Konitz pun album titles (or song titles) abound — but I’ve always had a fondness for this album title (for its silly pun), admittedly not based on his name for a change…

Warne Out would have done the same.

Edited by Rooster_Ties