Warne Marsh

Nate Dorward

Jason: You've probably read lots of accolades about your father but in case you missed it:

the LA novelist Carolyn See is a huge fan and I remember a piece she wrote about your dad for the LA Times several years ago in which she talked about driving from LA toNY to hear him play. (At least that's how I remember the story. I met her once and discussed the story with her and she also talked about delivering a present or birthday cake or something to him on his birthday. As I remember it he was a bit dumbfounded by her arrival on his doorstep. )

Guest ariceffron

WOW IVE HEARD ABOUT THIS BUT LOST TRACK....is it available in stores...whats the record label for it now??? I would love to hear warne by himself. i have one cd of him practicing along w/ the all bird abersold which is very very interesting but this i bet would be equally so-- please provide more info...

Thats a great stroy, medjuck, and thank you.

The Personal Statement CD is one of the albums released without the permission of my family. I encourage you not to buy it. And besideds, the cover is just a b&w negative of the Posthomus cover. How cheezy is that? Cheap is as cheap does.

medjuck

I think the article you're referring to by Carolyn See and the birthday presents was from the Los Angeles Times January 9th. 1988. This was a tribute to Warne following his death on December 18th. 1987 and in the article she related she and friends took gifts - not a birthday cake as it happened - to Warne's house and his mother answered the door. Nice gesture and a good newspaper piece.

Jack Goodwin

www.warnemarsh.info

medjuck

I think the article you're referring to by Carolyn See and the birthday presents was from the Los Angeles Times January 9th. 1988.  This was a tribute to Warne following his death on December 18th. 1987 and in the article she related she and friends took gifts - not a birthday cake as it happened - to Warne's house and his mother answered the door.  Nice gesture and a good newspaper piece.

Jack Goodwin

www.warnemarsh.info

Jack,

Thanks for your first post! Welcome aboard B-) ! I checked out your site as well....nice!

Mark

Edited by sheldonm

You're right, ariceffron. It doesn't just revolve around me. It also revolves around my mother, brother, father and any decent musicican who tries to make a buck and an honest musical contribution. Don't take stabs at me, honey, cuz ya aint gonna win. But you are more than welcome to buy all the legal releases of my father's music that your little heart desires. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I mentioned on this board I got to play with Warne once, in the early 80s, and what a thrill it was. Well, my interest and respect for his work never subsided and I've been listening again lately. I have a friend who has a gang of stuff, and I'm always asking to put on this or that. The other day I heard the date with Paul Chambers and Philly Joe, from '57. Smokin'! You can hear Warne's Pres roots and any doubt that he swung his ass off will be instantly quashed. Very mainstream, but individual tenor playing with his own light sound and great ideas.

Other recordings I recommend are the one with Joe Albany and a duo from the 80s with Red Mitchell. There's also great stuff with a Norwegian group and all those Criss Cross records of the 80s (Star Highs is one and I forget the other titles), One Day in the Life with Ron Eschete, and Apogee (I think) with Pete Christlieb.

I think it's time people stop associating Warne with Tristano. He was definitely his student and disciple, but he was a very individual player and doesn't belong categorized in any 'school'. I think he was the major talent in that clique, anyway. I like Lee's earlier stuff, up til the 70s. He definitely had a lot to say. But Lee has a much bigger name than Warne and I never quite got that. The biography on Warne, An Unsung Cat, has a lot of good insight and solo transcriptions from these recordings.

The other day I heard the date with Paul Chambers and Philly Joe, from '57. Smokin'! You can hear Warne's Pres roots and any doubt that he swung his ass off will be instantly quashed. Very mainstream, but individual tenor playing with his own light sound and great ideas.

Does anybody happen to know if this Atlantic date that you mention was ever reissued in the Atlantic JAZZLORE LP series of the 80s?

I figure an original will be out of price and recent CD reissues (e.g. Fresh Sound) have idiotic pairings where you are bound to already have half of the contents 8i.e. one of the 2 LPs coupled together). And I prefer vinyl anyway if the alternatives exist ... ;)