VPI Cleaning Fluid Issues

Ken Dryden

I've had a VPI machine since the early 1990s. I had a strange problem recently. I bought the VPI concentrate and followed the instructions, adding it to a brand new jug of distilled water. Over a period of time, mildew developed in the jug and I had to triple filter it to remove it all.

I never had that problem with the original gallon of cleaning fluid, even though I had the same one for years. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Just now, mjazzg said:

Another L'Art du Son fan here. 

Does anyone have a view on how long a bottle keeps? I've had mine for about 4 years now with no noticeable deterioration of performance.

I think they recommend changing the bottle after a year or so but like you, I have kept mine longer and it still seems to work fine after a few years.

Thanks for your replies. I have had some humidity issues in the room at times but the jug was kept under my desk and the blinds have been shut. I decided on my own to refrigerate the mixture, it’s a good thing we have a second kitchen in the basement, as there is no way I would be allowed to keep it in the main level refrigerator.

On 6/1/2022 at 11:32 AM, Ken Dryden said:

I never had that problem with the original gallon of cleaning fluid, even though I had the same one for years. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Ken,

I've used VPI's record cleaning fluid for years.  Never had any problems -- except for once, years ago.  In this one case, the cleaning fluid developed milky-white clumps in it.  Like you, I filtered them out, and the fluid seemed to work as usual.

Thankfully, it's never recurred.  

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ken,

I've used VPI's record cleaning fluid for years.  Never had any problems -- except for once, years ago.  In this one case, the cleaning fluid developed milky-white clumps in it.  Like you, I filtered them out, and the fluid seemed to work as usual.

Thankfully, it's never recurred.  

Mine were noticeable black clumps, they had to go.