Frank Morgan on Bosch

medjuck

While watching the original Bosch series I was struck that Bosch sometimes played slightly obscure jazz records.  Then in the new "Legacy" series his daughter brings him some of his favorite L.p.s:  Ron Carter, Art Pepper and Frank Morgan.  Well Carter is supposedly the most recorded jazz musician of all time and Art Pepper's "Patricia" is sometimes a plot point in the series   but though I like  Frank Morgan,  I never thought I'd hear him mentioned on a tv drama.

Edited by medjuck

Bosch in the original show mentioned Frank Morgan more than once.  Pepper was also popular.  As was already mentioned this is consistent with the books.  In the original shows There was one scene where Bosch went to the evidence room, I think, the cop in the room was playing jazz and Bosch exhibiting his knowledge mentioned that Jack Teagarden was about to play a solo. 

If you have a Prime membership than you should be able to watch Prime streaming for free.  I know I did. See: https://people.com/tv/prime-video-subscription-benefits/.    There is also Amazon Freevee (?), which used to be the IMDb channel and stuff there is shown with ads.  I can access this through my Prime app.    The new Bosch show, Bosch Legacy is shown on Freevee (?). 

I've read all the books and watched all the shows. The books are better but the show is very good.

Connelly even included a Jazz compilation CD in the first editions of the Bosch novel, "Dark Sacred Night".

The tracks (from https://www.michaelconnelly.com/extras/cd/):

1. “Lullaby” – Frank Morgan, Mood Indigo
2. “Soul Eyes” – John Coltrane, The Gentle Side Of John Coltrane
3. “My Funny Valentine” – Art Pepper and the Hollywood All-Stars, Art Standards
4. “My Foolish Heart” – Bill Evans, Bill Evans Walkman
5. “Mood Indigo” – Frank Morgan, Jazz ‘Round Midnight
6. “For All We Know” – Sonny Rollins, Falling In Love With Jazz
7. “Lush Life” – Joe Henderson, The Definitive Joe Henderson
8. “Straight Life” – Art Pepper, Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section
9. “Willow Weep For Me” – Clifford Brown, Clifford Brown
10. “What A Wonderful World” – Louis Armstrong, Pure Jazz

https://www.michaelconnelly.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Front-Cover-original.jpg

Since Bosch in novels was originally set as a Vietnam veteran, it would not have been surprising if he liked jazz from the 50s, but the TV drama is set about 20 years later, so it may be unusual for him to like jazz. Anywise, I think Titus Weliver's performance is excellent.
I don't remember which season/episode it was, but Bosch is in a car with his young black partner, and the music is playing from the car audio system, and his partner says, "That's good music, who's this?" or something, and Bosch, a middle aged white, replies, "It's Sonny Rollins."   That's the hilarious and a bit weird moment.

Edited by mhatta

4 hours ago, cliffpeterson said:

If you have a Prime membership than you should be able to watch Prime streaming for free.  I know I did. See: https://people.com/tv/prime-video-subscription-benefits/.    There is also Amazon Freevee (?), which used to be the IMDb channel and stuff there is shown with ads.  I can access this through my Prime app.    The new Bosch show, Bosch Legacy is shown on Freevee (?). 

It seemed to me that the rhythm of "Legacy" was similar to those of network television shows with commercials. 

• 1 year later...

This is a really interesting interview with Connelly in which he explains that he got into jazz as part of his research for Bosch.  Also about Frank Morgan.

https://www.jazz88.fm/2024/01/23/crime-novelist-michael-connelly-on-the-role-of-jazz-in-creating-bosch/?fbclid=IwAR0hVf0r_INItBjoWcgwg1ThB5pkkfQYCHs0ib2FrMYp85blzx6gcI5VHoI 

On 6/3/2022 at 9:50 PM, Milestones said:

From what I can tell Connelly has a Frank Morgan obsession.

Nothing wrong with writers inserting their jazz obsessions.  Peter Straub seems to be a jazz  fanatic.

Peter Straub has written liner notes for several CDs.

On 6/4/2022 at 8:13 AM, mhatta said:

Since Bosch in novels was originally set as a Vietnam veteran, it would not have been surprising if he liked jazz from the 50s, but the TV drama is set about 20 years later, so it may be unusual for him to like jazz. Anywise, I think Titus Weliver's performance is excellent.
I don't remember which season/episode it was, but Bosch is in a car with his young black partner, and the music is playing from the car audio system, and his partner says, "That's good music, who's this?" or something, and Bosch, a middle aged white, replies, "It's Sonny Rollins."   That's the hilarious and a bit weird moment.

In that scene, Bosch was playing "Doxy" from Miles' "Bags Groove".

Primary

I have never heard about Bosch, but with that taste on music he must be loved by musicians. That´s the best thing that can happen to have guys with publicity puttin jazz in their TV shows. 

I don´t really have much Frank Morgan, I think the only thing I had heard was on a Wardell Gray album, where I like Morgan´s playing very much. He did much Europe in the 80´s I have heard, but don´t remember he would have played in Austria also....

"Bag´s Groove" I can imagine it very well as music spinned in a movie....