Horace Tapscott Quintet - Unreleased 1969 Flying Dutchman Session

colinmce

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just pre ordered the vinyl version at JPC for 22 euros. I guess reasonable vinyl prices still exists? Wanted to order the 2cd new Mal Waldron release too but that ones 42 euros…. Strange world

Edited by Pim

• 2 weeks later...

EFC368-F8-5449-4697-9-C08-9-F0698992279.

Well it’s spinning here now and I’d say the only downside is it’s playing time of 35 minutes. Quite some free playing here but with some structure in its base. Interesting to hear that both bassists stick to playing with their bow. For Fats was the Giant Has Awakened composition I least enjoyed but have to say this version is better (and much longer) than on the GHA LP. 

It’s Tapscott in prime form and I’d dare to say it’s essential to every Tapscott fan, out of tune piano or not ;)

Thanks Mr Bongo records. Next: an unreleased John Carter/Bobby Bradford session please. 

Edited by Pim

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 4:19 PM, John L said:

Amazon now lists the price for the MP3 version (released on September 2) as $3.87 in contrast to the CD price of 32.98.

Strange, I pre-ordered the CD from Amazon a long time ago, and just got shipping notice on it (delivery tomorrow).  My pre-order price was/is $12.98.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had a chance to hear this.   It is actually from the same session as The Giant is Awakened.  My complaint about that great album was that it was much too short.   I am extremely happy to have this additional music that fills it out.  

That said, it is not difficult to understand why these tracks might have been rejected for the Giant is Awakened album.  While the somewhat out of tune piano does not bother me, the bass playing of (I assume) Walter Savage Jr. is a bit of a problem.  It would appear that his instrument is not tuned up well for these tracks, which is particularly audible on the bowed parts.   Or it could be that sometimes he is in tune but clashing with the slightly out of tune piano. 

Despite all of this, if you can take it a bit rough, the music is quite good.  Horace Tapscott and Everett Brown Jr. drive the band with the same fervor as on Giant is Awakened.  Arthur Blythe is solid although his best playing of the date is on the originally released tracks (IMO).   In sum, it is not another Giant is Awakened but still quite worthwhile.  There just isn't enough Horace Tapscott from the 60s and this is quite welcome. 

Edited by John L

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

No disagreement with the assessments here. A useful calibration is to take your personal rating of The Giant Is Awakened, dock it 0.5-1.0 stars, and you’ll have a good idea of how much you’ll enjoy this reissue.

Imho TGIA is a 5 star album, one of my favorites by Tapscott, and so I’m really loving this one too.