BFT#220

Pim

Ladies and gentlemen. The new BFT is up and running:

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

its summer for most of us so that’s the season I listen a little less jazz and be a little more outside. Anyway I made it a little shorter than usual for me (11 tracks this time)

a wide variety in styles and mostly names not mentioned a lot here I am curious if people here like the choices…. Looking forward to your reactions.

Edited by Pim

Track 2.  Nice enough. Sounds a bit folky and American. I have no idea who it is but very happy to copy @@Dub Modal's suggestion of Marc Johnson

Track 3. Enjoyed that, no clue who it is

Track 4. Now this is right up my street, that fusing of Middle Eastern/Arabic instruments with trumpet.  Emir ElSaffar comes to mind immediately and is my inclination. it's not Yazz Ahmed I don't think, too much Arabic instrumentation. Ibrahim Maalouf has left this behind a bit now, could be an early one of his but I don't think so.  Trying to think of others. It sounds modern rather than examples recorded in 70s like Maffy Falay. Definitely want to know who this is

Track 5.  Here we go, it's that Billy Harper/McCoy Tyner vibe and no surprise hearing this on a Pim BFT :) I'll take a guess it's not recorded this century or if it is the leader recorded similar stuff 40 years ago or more. Drummer goes on a bit.

Track 6. never a big fan of solo piano so this doesn't grab me too much. A wild guess, Jason Moran?

Track 7. Craig Harris is my immediate response after 45 seconds. I'm completely sold on it and I hope someone IDs it quickly so I can track it down. Best track so far

Track 8. I recognise this, sounds like an ECM. Is it Bobo Stenson? Although I'm not sure the drummer is Jan Falt so if it is Stenson it's an earlier one. I think I may well have this

Track 9. Pleasant enough but leaves me a bit cold, I'm afraid

Track 10. after 30 seconds, Go Go Penguin?

I'll be back with thoughts on the remainder later. Nice selection so far :tup

Edited by mjazzg

1 – Beautiful, right in my wheelhouse.  They have Hutcherson/Tyner DOWN!  I would think it is Hutcherson, but suspect someone like John Hicks is the pianist.   Also a wonderful composition.  This is a must have for me.

2 – Shades of Jaco Pastorius or whatever.  I did not have patience to make it through the cut.

3 – Nice cut.  1950’s?  Someone like Thad Jones?

4 –  Interesting East/West hybrid, though it overstays its welcome by half.  Joe Harriott-ish, but not Harriott.

5 – Love it, also right in my wheelhouse.  And another pianist who has his Tyner down, to the point where it sounds as if it could be Tyner, but it isn’t based on what I know of his discography.  But it sure seems like him.  Very strong sax playing on this.  Must have this if I don’t already.  Great cut.

6 – Stride is not a style that works for me.  Seems to be well done for what it is.

7 – Huh?  No thanks.

8 –  Good cut.   Very nice, flows well.  Actually like this quite a bit.

9 -  The old standard, well played.   But doesn’t grab me.

10 – This one does grab me at the beginning, but doesn’t go anywhere.  Just sort of keeps repeating the same thing with rhythmic variations.  I really dislike the drumming.  Assume this is from the last 30 years, where the in-vogue rhythmic approaches lose me, and other musical considerations seem to get marginalized.

11 – Again, doesn’t seem to go to much of anywhere.  I can enjoy any snippet of #’s 10 and 11, but the full performances go stale for me.  I do like this more than #10.  Some Mal Waldron influence in this one, but not Mal – he did it better.

Thanks for the interesting BFT.  LOVE#’s 1 and 5, like #8 quite a bit, look forward to many of the reveals!

14 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Track 1 & 11 sound like different versions of the same tune. 
They are not.

Track 1 - Bobby Hutcherson quartet? 
It's not Hutch but I could see why you think of him

Track 2 Marc Johnson? 
It's not him.

9 is In a Sentimental Mood but unsure on who

You got the composition right :)

Great set overall!  

13 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Is Track 1. Jay Hoggard, one of his Muse dates perhaps?  I like it whoever it is

Not Jay Hoggard either. No Hutch and nog Hoggard.... The remaining possible vibists in this style get smaller and smaller....

11 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Track 2.  Nice enough. Sounds a bit folky and American. I have no idea who it is but very happy to copy @@Dub Modal's suggestion of Marc Johnson

Definitely a folk influence their. This is a hard one to identify I admit.

Track 3. Enjoyed that, no clue who it is

It think you will be suprised if you hear who it is ;)

Track 4. Now this is right up my street, that fusing of Middle Eastern/Arabic instruments with trumpet.  Emir ElSaffar comes to mind immediately and is my inclination. it's not Yazz Ahmed I don't think, too much Arabic instrumentation. Ibrahim Maalouf has left this behind a bit now, could be an early one of his but I don't think so.  Trying to think of others. It sounds modern rather than examples recorded in 70s like Maffy Falay. Definitely want to know who this is

Amir ElSaffar is correct!

Track 5.  Here we go, it's that Billy Harper/McCoy Tyner vibe and no surprise hearing this on a Pim BFT :) I'll take a guess it's not recorded this century or if it is the leader recorded similar stuff 40 years ago or more. Drummer goes on a bit.

It's definitely in that style. I think you know this particular album. It's the drummer's date.

Track 6. never a big fan of solo piano so this doesn't grab me too much. A wild guess, Jason Moran?

He's not and I think it say's it all about this particular piano player being a modernist: this pianist is from the '50's and '60's 

Track 7. Craig Harris is my immediate response after 45 seconds. I'm completely sold on it and I hope someone IDs it quickly so I can track it down. Best track so far

Love the fact you dig this. You've got an open mind. I could see why you'd think of Harris but it's not him.

Track 8. I recognise this, sounds like an ECM. Is it Bobo Stenson? Although I'm not sure the drummer is Jan Falt so if it is Stenson it's an earlier one. I think I may well have this

You've got the label right!

Track 9. Pleasant enough but leaves me a bit cold, I'm afraid

Track 10. after 30 seconds, Go Go Penguin?

Nope it's not.

I'll be back with thoughts on the remainder later. Nice selection so far :tup

3 hours ago, felser said:

1 – Beautiful, right in my wheelhouse.  They have Hutcherson/Tyner DOWN!  I would think it is Hutcherson, but suspect someone like John Hicks is the pianist.   Also a wonderful composition.  This is a must have for me.

Not Hutch and not Hicks. The pianist is pretty unknown. You definitely know the vibist. 

2 – Shades of Jaco Pastorius or whatever.  I did not have patience to make it through the cut.

3 – Nice cut.  1950’s?  Someone like Thad Jones?

It's not Thad Jones.

4 –  Interesting East/West hybrid, though it overstays its welcome by half.  Joe Harriott-ish, but not Harriott.

5 – Love it, also right in my wheelhouse.  And another pianist who has his Tyner down, to the point where it sounds as if it could be Tyner, but it isn’t based on what I know of his discography.  But it sure seems like him.  Very strong sax playing on this.  Must have this if I don’t already.  Great cut.

I think you do have it. I already thought you would like this ;)

6 – Stride is not a style that works for me.  Seems to be well done for what it is.

A little in that style but this ain't no stride pianist. 

7 – Huh?  No thanks.

8 –  Good cut.   Very nice, flows well.  Actually like this quite a bit.

9 -  The old standard, well played.   But doesn’t grab me.

10 – This one does grab me at the beginning, but doesn’t go anywhere.  Just sort of keeps repeating the same thing with rhythmic variations.  I really dislike the drumming.  Assume this is from the last 30 years, where the in-vogue rhythmic approaches lose me, and other musical considerations seem to get marginalized.

11 – Again, doesn’t seem to go to much of anywhere.  I can enjoy any snippet of #’s 10 and 11, but the full performances go stale for me.  I do like this more than #10.  Some Mal Waldron influence in this one, but not Mal – he did it better.

This actually is Mal..... 

Thanks for the interesting BFT.  LOVE#’s 1 and 5, like #8 quite a bit, look forward to many of the reveals!

15 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 3: Tony Fruscella?

It's not him but there are defintely similarities.

Edited by Pim

2 hours ago, Niko said:

that guess got me curious... no, it's Chet Baker playing Sad Walk with Dick Twardzik...

:lol: Couldn't for a moment remember Fruscella's name and was googling (without success) "Jazz trumpeters who sound like Chet Baker".:lol:

1. Very nice.  Jay Hoggard?
2. Solo bass.  Trying to think of who has recorded solo bass, it's absolutely not Kowald, feels more mainstream than Joelle Leandre, and I do think it's bass, not cello.  I'll guess Leandre.  On second listen possibly two basses
3. The lead instument seems to be a fluegelhorn, but it's the most clarinet-like sounding fluegelhorn ever.  Nat Adderley?
4. Rabih Abou Khalil?
5. McCoy Tyner, early to mid Milestone era, I think
6. I can't rule McCoy out here either.  If so much later and finding his way back to the mainstream after having created a new mainstream.
7. Steve Turre - I thought didge at first but it could be conch shells. Or even both.  One of the lower flutes as well.
8. I wouldn't be surprised if this is on ECM.  Marcin Wasilewski, maybe?  A real trio, not leader plus.
9. In a Sentimental Mood composed by Ellington but played by a later piano trio.  Tommy Flanagan?  Wait, here's a tenor.  Can't rule out Ben, but I don't think the piano is Duke.  The bass is so upfront it does seem like a later recording.  What a tune, it draws out the best in just about everybody.
10. Are there two keyboards here?  No but the two riffs that play off each other seem SO independent of each other.  Bad Plus?
11. We do love our Tapscott, it could be Horace.  But this is Pim, it could be Mal Waldron.  I'l go with Mal

3 hours ago, randyhersom said:

1. Very nice.  Jay Hoggard?

great to see you started without reading the previous posts. It’s not Hoggard, it’s not Hutch.
2. Solo bass.  Trying to think of who has recorded solo bass, it's absolutely not Kowald, feels more mainstream than Joelle Leandre, and I do think it's bass, not cello.  I'll guess Leandre.  On second listen possibly two basses

It’s a bass that is able to overdub itself while playing. No free player like Kowald but he played a fair share of postbox/freebop.
3. The lead instument seems to be a fluegelhorn, but it's the most clarinet-like sounding fluegelhorn ever.  Nat Adderley?

No he’s not. Not really his style (in my opinion). Was identified as Chet Baker. 
4. Rabih Abou Khalil?

Its not Khalil. Identified as Amir ElSaffar.
5. McCoy Tyner, early to mid Milestone era, I think

youre not the first one thinking of McCoy but it’s not him. It’s the drummers date. 
6. I can't rule McCoy out here either.  If so much later and finding his way back to the mainstream after having created a new mainstream.

He’s from a little earlier than McCoy. Love the fact that all listeners here classify him as a modern piano player. 
7. Steve Turre - I thought didge at first but it could be conch shells. Or even both.  One of the lower flutes as well.

There’s a trombone out there but I think the sound you are referring to are throatsingers.

8. I wouldn't be surprised if this is on ECM.  Marcin Wasilewski, maybe?  A real trio, not leader plus.

Again: right label :) but not the right trio.

9. In a Sentimental Mood composed by Ellington but played by a later piano trio.  Tommy Flanagan?  Wait, here's a tenor.  Can't rule out Ben, but I don't think the piano is Duke.  The bass is so upfront it does seem like a later recording.  What a tune, it draws out the best in just about everybody.

i think the tenor was definitely influenced by Ben. It’s not him. The pianist is not Tommy Flanagan.
10. Are there two keyboards here?  No but the two riffs that play off each other seem SO independent of each other.  Bad Plus?

it’s not but it is a modern jazz group. With only one piano player ;)
11. We do love our Tapscott, it could be Horace.  But this is Pim, it could be Mal Waldron.  I'l go with Mal

yeah this is Mal. I love Tapscott as well but he is way to well known out here ;)

12 hours ago, OliverM said:

Hi, enjoyed listening to the selection.

Baker/ Twardzik: great partnership.

I've heard number 8, searching for it.

Track 11 is japanese traditional "Sakura", haven't heard this Mal album.

No other guesses? 😊

Here are my thoughts, jotted down as I listened. I haven't looked at any of the above to see if I'm at all in the right ballpark on these, but I didn't have a lot of guesses. For me though the point is usually to hear & enjoy some new music without prejudice. 

Track 1 - This is the kind of stuff I love. Right off the bat I'm thinking Hutcherson, Tyner, Higgins... but it becomes quickly clear none of those guesses are right! The vibraphonist is a lot stiffer, more analytical than Hutch. As much as I love the overall sound here, the solos aren't really grabbing me. So I have mixed opinions on this one. It never fully gets off the ground for me. Curious to know who it is though.

Track 2 - At the start I'm hearing hints of Jaco, enough to make me think this is an electric bass, but in fact I think it's just a very "electric" sounding upright. Beautiful tone. I really like the little chord sequence a few minutes in, with the soloing over the top. Sounds to me like that's overdubbing and not 2 bass players. Any chance this is Eberhard Weber? I'm not really confident in that guess though... I suspect that's wrong. Whoever it is, I really enjoyed this.

Track 3 - I'm drawn in by the trumpet player, who has a beautiful, tender approach to his/her instrument. I'm hanging on every note. Nice subdued piano solo also. No guesses on this one, but I'm very curious. This took me to a nice place.

Track 4 - This is interesting! The only point of comparison I have is Masada, who I haven't listened to in years. But this sounds like a different bag really, way more "authentic," to my ears. I love the rhythms and the lines. And that's some kind of middle eastern stringed instrument in there too? Hmmm... the approach of the tenor player certainly sounds western though. Great solo! And the next solo too. So is that an oud? I should know this. Damn this is great. What a trumpet solo! OK...there is not a weak soloist on this. The bass player is ridiculous! Anxious for the reveal on this one.

Track 5 - Well this already sounds like it's going somewhere I like. :) Right out of the gate, loving the bass/drums groove and those harmonized horn lines. Really getting into that ride cymbal! I should absolutely know this tenor player, this is so up my alley. Not sure I can ID him though. Damn!! This thing is lifting up into the sky. Oh now hang on. This has got to be McCoy? Burnin! And now this is one hell of an athletic drum solo. It sounds so much like one of Tyner's groups, but it can't be, can it? I'm a little baffled. I need this though!

Track 6 - The whole-tone-ish intro led me to believe we were going elsewhere, kind of interesting the way it settled out into more standard territory. That's making it a little difficult to place for me, but I do really like how a lot of ground is covered in this short time. Ultimately it sounds like a 60s recording I think? Very nice stuff.

Track 7 - Well if throat singing and trombone isn't a great combo, I don't know what is. The hardest part with this for me is that the throat singing draws my attention so much that I worry I'm not paying enough attention to the trombonist. But that's a beautiful trombone sound. I really like the freedom too, the moves they're making over the top of the drones. The overtones from the throat singer are wild! Some great stuff happening here. It also makes me want to hear the trombonist in a different group setting. This is cool!

Track 8 - Nice space, respect for silence and openness. The sound of the group is very European to me. I'm also not hearing a lot in the way of strong melodies and it's a little clinical for my tastes. They obviously play well together, it's very well done, just doesn't really reach me personally.

Track 9 - Ooooh, this is nice, I really like this piano player. Beautiful! Ah! In a Sentimental Mood. The bass sure is high in the mix... not that it's a bad thing. :) This has got to be from the 70s. Wasn't expecting a saxophonist too. What a great, breathy sound. This is called really inhabiting the tune... I'm kinda liking how they stay so close to the theme, with some nice touches added. I honestly want to hear more from the pianist, I think I got faked out by that long intro and was hoping for more piano solo. But that's not to take away from this stunning tenor player. Love this all the way around.

Track 10 - This one is kind of rhythmically interesting but it's in that space of Too much head, not enough heart for me. Technically very good but it doesn't say a lot to me.

Track 11 - This isn't hitting me either, but it could be the mood I'm in. Definitely a dark, foreboding kind of feeling here. This person definitely knows how to get a "big" sound out of the piano.

All in all, some excellent music here. As I noted there are several tunes I'm dying to learn more about. Thanks so much for your efforts putting this together!

Edited by webbcity
typo

22 hours ago, webbcity said:

Here are my thoughts, jotted down as I listened. I haven't looked at any of the above to see if I'm at all in the right ballpark on these, but I didn't have a lot of guesses. For me though the point is usually to hear & enjoy some new music without prejudice. 

Track 1 - This is the kind of stuff I love. Right off the bat I'm thinking Hutcherson, Tyner, Higgins... but it becomes quickly clear none of those guesses are right! The vibraphonist is a lot stiffer, more analytical than Hutch. As much as I love the overall sound here, the solos aren't really grabbing me. So I have mixed opinions on this one. It never fully gets off the ground for me. Curious to know who it is though.

its not Hutch but I could see why you’d think that. 

Track 2 - At the start I'm hearing hints of Jaco, enough to make me think this is an electric bass, but in fact I think it's just a very "electric" sounding upright. Beautiful tone. I really like the little chord sequence a few minutes in, with the soloing over the top. Sounds to me like that's overdubbing and not 2 bass players. Any chance this is Eberhard Weber? I'm not really confident in that guess though... I suspect that's wrong. Whoever it is, I really enjoyed this.

not Weber but it is a little in that style. The bassist here is indeed overdubbing his own playing. 

Track 3 - I'm drawn in by the trumpet player, who has a beautiful, tender approach to his/her instrument. I'm hanging on every note. Nice subdued piano solo also. No guesses on this one, but I'm very curious. This took me to a nice place.

Track 4 - This is interesting! The only point of comparison I have is Masada, who I haven't listened to in years. But this sounds like a different bag really, way more "authentic," to my ears. I love the rhythms and the lines. And that's some kind of middle eastern stringed instrument in there too? Hmmm... the approach of the tenor player certainly sounds western though. Great solo! And the next solo too. So is that an oud? I should know this. Damn this is great. What a trumpet solo! OK...there is not a weak soloist on this. The bass player is ridiculous! Anxious for the reveal on this one.

theres definitely an Oud to be heard here. Unlike Masada no clezmer/jewish roots here but Arab music.

Track 5 - Well this already sounds like it's going somewhere I like. :) Right out of the gate, loving the bass/drums groove and those harmonized horn lines. Really getting into that ride cymbal! I should absolutely know this tenor player, this is so up my alley. Not sure I can ID him though. Damn!! This thing is lifting up into the sky. Oh now hang on. This has got to be McCoy? Burnin! And now this is one hell of an athletic drum solo. It sounds so much like one of Tyner's groups, but it can't be, can it? I'm a little baffled. I need this though!

not McCoy but you are not the first one thinking of him! 

Track 6 - The whole-tone-ish intro led me to believe we were going elsewhere, kind of interesting the way it settled out into more standard territory. That's making it a little difficult to place for me, but I do really like how a lot of ground is covered in this short time. Ultimately it sounds like a 60s recording I think? Very nice stuff.

yeah you’ve got the decade right! 

Track 7 - Well if throat singing and trombone isn't a great combo, I don't know what is. The hardest part with this for me is that the throat singing draws my attention so much that I worry I'm not paying enough attention to the trombonist. But that's a beautiful trombone sound. I really like the freedom too, the moves they're making over the top of the drones. The overtones from the throat singer are wild! Some great stuff happening here. It also makes me want to hear the trombonist in a different group setting. This is cool!

im pretty sure youve heard the trombone player in other settings ;)

Track 8 - Nice space, respect for silence and openness. The sound of the group is very European to me. I'm also not hearing a lot in the way of strong melodies and it's a little clinical for my tastes. They obviously play well together, it's very well done, just doesn't really reach me personally.

this is a 100% American piano trio!

Track 9 - Ooooh, this is nice, I really like this piano player. Beautiful! Ah! In a Sentimental Mood. The bass sure is high in the mix... not that it's a bad thing. :) This has got to be from the 70s. Wasn't expecting a saxophonist too. What a great, breathy sound. This is called really inhabiting the tune... I'm kinda liking how they stay so close to the theme, with some nice touches added. I honestly want to hear more from the pianist, I think I got faked out by that long intro and was hoping for more piano solo. But that's not to take away from this stunning tenor player. Love this all the way around.

Track 10 - This one is kind of rhythmically interesting but it's in that space of Too much head, not enough heart for me. Technically very good but it doesn't say a lot to me.

Track 11 - This isn't hitting me either, but it could be the mood I'm in. Definitely a dark, foreboding kind of feeling here. This person definitely knows how to get a "big" sound out of the piano.

All in all, some excellent music here. As I noted there are several tunes I'm dying to learn more about. Thanks so much for your efforts putting this together!

Thanks for your enthusiasm and kind response. Makes it really worth participating in this thing :)

Apologies for the delay in getting to this.  I had a good start, then life through curves (including Covid), but I finally got my ears to the rest of it.

Track 01 - Yes, please.  Sound is a little strange (VERY strong channel separation), but music is spot on.  Drums have that light sound of a Theresa Records recording.  Not much in the way of effects on the vibes, a very clean sound.  Patient improviser, as well.  Pianist is a bit over-zealous at times, but this really works.  Hmmm... who it isn't:  Joe Bonner, Cecil McBee... who it is?  Having a bit more trouble there.  Almost wondering if this might be Embryo doing another crossover project, but this sounds definitively like a group of Jazz players.  

Track 02 - It's interesting, but I don't care for that bass.  Electrified of some sort.  Doesn't quite hit the mark, but it IS interesting.

Track 03 - Like the understated trumpet, but unsure who it is.  Something very Brubeck about the piano.  Like the use of the arco bass on the melody, too.  Nice cut, but I can't put a finger on it.  I don't think I know these players.

Track 04 - This is pretty tasty.  A bit busy, but works quite well.  Writing makes me think Jerry Sabatini, but that doesn't sound like his trumpet work.  The setting is nice for the soloists, but feels like they didn't really make the most of it.  I wanted the tenor player to cut loose, but all I'm hearing is the practice room, and I'll never understand why this happens.  Overall, this seems like it wants to be in the vein of Old and New Dreams, but to my ear, doesn't quite make it (despite the stellar bass work).  

Track 05 - First impressions were 70s Messengers.  Then the horns came in and it felt almost like Elvin's Jazz Machine.  It's neither of those, but seems heavily indebted to both (not a bad thing at all).  Maybe Franklin Kiermyer on drums?  I like this better than the last cut, but the tenors, particularly the second, seem to suffer from the same issue.  There's a great energy built up for them to plug into, then they just don't.  By the time the second guy digs in, he's lost me.  If you cut the first section of his solo out, you've got a pretty good solo.  As it stands, it just misses the mark, despite the drummer absolutely kicking their ass.  Some definite McCoyisms from the pianist, but I don't think it's the Master himself.  Still, nice open chord voicings, struck convincingly, and it fits the mood built by the drums/bass.  Really like this pianist.  Like McCoy on decaf!  Oh wait, the espresso just kicked in.  If the tenor players could match this fire, this cut would have been something intense.  As it is, it's a good track, but it had the potential to be epic.  That surely sounds like Kiermyer going full Elvin.  

Track 06 - Almost has me thinking Hank Jones when he gets into the stride feel.  No idea, but this is very nice.

Track 07 - Actually really appreciate Tuvan throat singing, but frustrated that I can't do it.  This person clearly can.  I'm not convinced it works, here, but neither am I convinced it doesn't.  I like the understated trombone work, but I'm not fully feeling the mix of these two voices.  It's neat, but not sure I need it.

Track 08 - Certainly has an ECM feel.  Not as flashy as Michel Petrucciani, maybe Bobo Stenson?  It's nice, but that's also where it's problems lie -- it's a bit polite.

Track 09 - Wait, I have this.  I know I do.  AH!  At 2:17-2:38 it reveals itself distinctly.  It's from this, one of my favorite albums from my early teen years.  Of course, if it hadn't revealed itself, once the big guy comes in, you'd know it.

Track 10 - Quite reminiscent of a tune from a Connecticut band in the early oughts called The Jazz Aesthetic.  They showed up on one of my BFTs.  I will guarantee this is NOT them.  :D Something about the feel has me leaning Vijay Iyer.  A bit mathjazzy for my liking, but I know a lot of folks I play with would love it.  Given that statement and the busy drumming, I have to wonder if that's Brian Blade.

Track 11 - Nice voicings.  I desperately want this to be a Mal Waldron cut, but it isn't.  Surely has his feel, though.  Wait!  At 2:14, there's no way this ISN'T Mal!  But what?  Digging through my Mal stash, I don't have it.  Perhaps just a sycophant's take?  It's excellent, whatever it is, but now I'm going to not sleep.