Ahmad Jamal: But Not For Me

Late

LTcyMjMuanBlZw.jpeg

As much as I've been enjoying The Three Sounds this summer, this Jamal album is on another level. I think perhaps it's Vernell Fournier that I respond to in particular. The Three Sounds were a trio—a fully functioning unit that responded to each other—and so were Jamal, Israel Crosby, and Vernell Fournier. Phew! What a vibe. (The 2016 Japanese SHM-CD sounds really, really good.) I'm listening right now. Soooo good.

I'm sure there are other fans of this album here. For me, it's Jamal's Kind of Blue

25 minutes ago, Late said:

LTcyMjMuanBlZw.jpeg

As much as I've been enjoying The Three Sounds this summer, this Jamal album is on another level. I think perhaps it's Vernell Fournier that I respond to in particular. The Three Sounds were a trio—a fully functioning unit that responded to each other—and so were Jamal, Israel Crosby, and Vernell Fournier. Phew! What a vibe. (The 2016 Japanese SHM-CD sounds really, really good.) I'm listening right now. Soooo good.

I'm sure there are other fans of this album here. For me, it's Jamal's Kind of Blue

:tup:wub:

13 hours ago, Late said:

LTcyMjMuanBlZw.jpeg

Listened to this recently.  Such beautiful playing. Makes me regret not buying the Mosaic. 

Edited by Brad

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Listened to this recently.  Such beautiful playing. Makes me regret not buying the Mosaic. 

One of the first jazz Lps I ever bought --some 60 years ago.  When I got more into jazz I learned it was frowned upon by hipsters. 

On 7/2/2022 at 11:05 AM, medjuck said:

One of the first jazz Lps I ever bought --some 60 years ago.  When I got more into jazz I learned it was frowned upon by hipsters. 

We’re hip to it so that’s all that matters. 

20 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Great record!  I found this and a lot of other Ahmad Jamal albums for a dollar in the 1990s.  

Yep, I bought a dozen of Jamal original pressings for almost nothing compared to BN, Prestige Riverside, ecc. . Argo’s Jazztett was ridiculous cheap as well.

1 hour ago, porcy62 said:

Yep, I bought a dozen of Jamal original pressings for almost nothing compared to BN, Prestige Riverside, ecc. . Argo’s Jazztett was ridiculous cheap as well.

Jazz piano trios had a real audience between the late 1950s and late 1960s, if all the cheap second-hand LPs I've found are any indication.

Anyone know if Live at the Pershing Vol. 2 is from the same sessions, or was it recorded later as a follow-up?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

This is a good reason to buy a Mosaic set. You don't have to listen to it all at once, you can have the cumulative material available from the best sources to do with what you like...which is most likely what those "Spanish" labels are doing, at a price to you, the unsuspecting buying population.

58 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This is a good reason to buy a Mosaic set. You don't have to listen to it all at once, you can have the cumulative material available from the best sources to do with what you like...which is most likely what those "Spanish" labels are doing, at a price to you, the unsuspecting buying population.

Maybe the Spanish label is cloning the Mosaic set.  If so, this option is cheaper than buying a second-hand box.

You never know. Some are cloning other reissues like the Mosaic, some are needle drops. In this case I would clearly recommend the Mosaic. I never regretted buying it. More than 20 previously unissued tracks that so far have not been cloned, and a more complete picture of the trio, e.g. a few Fournier solos.

A real big lot of excellent music!

I agree with Mike 100 percent. I have some Argo LPs of the Jamal Trio. . .I love them, they were unfortunately far too loved before I got to them. Every copy I have come across is noisier than this refined trio with space in the music warrants. The Mosaic set sounds wonderful and is quiet quiet quiet.

6 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I agree with Mike 100 percent. I have some Argo LPs of the Jamal Trio. . .I love them, they were unfortunately far too loved before I got to them. Every copy I have come across is noisier than this refined trio with space in the music warrants. The Mosaic set sounds wonderful and is quiet quiet quiet.

Same with my used LPs I once bought i Paris. Loved and played and played and played again. The Mosaic sounds great, except for the first album. Their source was a Japanese needle drop - my vintage US LP copy sounds much better. 

Listen to samples and look where they are coming from - if they are from the Yurpeeans, watch out!

These are the reissues I was talking about:

MzgtNTIxMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Ny00NDA3LmpwZWc.jpeg

MC01NzYxLmpwZWc.jpeg

ODUtODIwMy5qcGVn.jpeg

NjItMjQyNy5qcGVn.jpeg

I have one set from the label of the last two boxes (Enlightenment - Ramsey Lewis) that really sounds inferior. 

Edited by mikeweil