Don Cherry corner

mjzee

1 hour ago, Holy Ghost said:

Since this is a Don Cherry corner, I'd like to add that I still think his three BN's are superb as well as the live set released by ESP (three volumes me thinks) Why not did ESP make this a boxset? 

Yes — and Complete Communion, especially, is an absolute stone classic.

6 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I wouldn't mind it if ESP put those back out in a small box form.

One could be far less shrewd than to use those records and the relevant BNs to veer off into an exploration of prehistoric (lol) Gato Barbieri... 

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

One could be far less shrewd than to use those records and the relevant BNs to veer off into an exploration of prehistoric (lol) Gato Barbieri... 

I'm not following a word you said here. Gato? 60's v. 70's? Why don't we talk about 60's v. 70's George Benson? Irrelevant. 

Still not following. Agree, about Gato in 66 and 76, apples and oranges is the talk to be had, but what Gato was in the 60's was certainly "reinvented" in the 70's.  I mean there are a slew of players who did this: Ayler (in the 60's) Klemmer, Byrd, Miles even. I guess I just still don't understand your comment. 

All I'm pointing out is that this live Cherry set is awesome, is all. I never pin-pointed Gato at all.

13 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I was going through a bit of a Don Cherry patch a few weeks ago. Still have a lot of love for Mu.

Special. Great record. Weirdly, Cherry and Blackwell had this bond much akin to Ornette and Haden's bond. That seemed to be the recording history after BN (still have a soft spot for the Empty Fox Hole) and the Impulse(s)! You get the sense these guys were going to play together in one format or another until they draw their last breaths. (and they all did) fascinating!

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Not irrelevant. Gato used to be somebody who functioned quite well in certain "avant subcultures" and not just with Don Cherry. 

yup. Also with Giorgio Gaslini, Franco D'Andrea, Franco Tonani and that crew. I've heard some very interesting early Gato radio recordings that put his development a bit afield from the "Latin Pharaoh" tag that he eventually embraced.

9 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

yup. Also with Giorgio Gaslini, Franco D'Andrea, Franco Tonani and that crew. I've heard some very interesting early Gato radio recordings that put his development a bit afield from the "Latin Pharaoh" tag that he eventually embraced.

Are they released and / or available?

the radio recordings were with D'Andrea's small group and I heard them on a set of transcription discs a collector friend owns. His playing here reminded me a little of Pharoah's ESP (working around Coltrane/Rollins influences, not sure which way to go), with some wild buzzsaw moments that hadn't totally been put together into a cohesive structure. Pretty interesting.

the stuff with Gaslini and Tonani is around/available.