Don Cherry corner

mjzee

11 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

curious. That's not what I was referring to but could be interesting to hear.

Yes, interesting but maybe a bit too early.

19 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

the stuff with Gaslini and Tonani is around/available. 

I would still very much welcome a standalone reissue of Nuovi Sentimenti. 

On 7/16/2022 at 1:38 PM, clifford_thornton said:

yup. Also with Giorgio Gaslini, Franco D'Andrea, Franco Tonani and that crew. I've heard some very interesting early Gato radio recordings that put his development a bit afield from the "Latin Pharaoh" tag that he eventually embraced.

On 7/16/2022 at 7:30 AM, JSngry said:

Not irrelevant. Gato used to be somebody who functioned quite well in certain "avant subcultures" and not just with Don Cherry. 

Still confused. Huh? What does this suggest? Some sort of conformity on what we mean by "avant"?. I'm further confused.  

Sorry, admitting my ignorance; guess this is where my observations come and get back at me. I'm just a listener, not a musician; on the other hand, thanks for laying down some more artists to listen to! 

Holy Ghost - My interpretation is a bit simpler than yours.  Gato went through a number of stylistic periods (evolutions) in his career.   I think Jim was just pointing out that some of his earliest work in avant circles, before he went off in his own musical directions, is worthy of exploration in and of itself.   I didn't read anything more into it than that.  But maybe Jim and CT can clarify.  

That's it. And that there's a bit more of it than one might suspect. Although if one already knows then that's as far as it goes.

I do recall Dave Liebman saying at some point that Gato was the guy that "everybody" was paying attention to at the time, pre-Flying Dutchman. Something about his sound and his energy and him not being a typical CloneTrane.

I really like Gato's work in the 70s, including the mid-70s Latin America series on Impulse (Chapter 4: Live in New York from 1975 is probably my favorite).  For Pharoah, my preferred vintage is late 60s-early 70s.  Not that he didn't record a lot of good music after that.    

5 hours ago, John L said:

I really like Gato's work in the 70s, including the mid-70s Latin America series on Impulse (Chapter 4: Live in New York from 1975 is probably my favorite). 

Same. I like this era a lot more than the earlier free-er stuff, which to my ears sounds one dimensional (perhaps "more" one dimensional). 

Same. my favorite Gato is from  the post-3rdWorld and pre-Ruby period. The outputs of Pharoah in the 70s are my favorite (Izipho Zam, Elevation, Live at the East, Journey, soft spot for the India's Pharoah). Still have to listen to Wisdom and Love in us All from that period. But I can find a record I really enjoy from Pharoah in each and every decade. Same preferences would apply to Shepp for me.

On 7/16/2022 at 1:38 PM, clifford_thornton said:

yup. Also with Giorgio Gaslini, Franco D'Andrea, Franco Tonani and that crew. I've heard some very interesting early Gato radio recordings that put his development a bit afield from the "Latin Pharaoh" tag that he eventually embraced.

On 7/16/2022 at 7:30 AM, JSngry said:

Not irrelevant. Gato used to be somebody who functioned quite well in certain "avant subcultures" and not just with Don Cherry. 

Still confused. Huh? What does this suggest? Some sort of conformity on what we mean by "avant"?. I'm further confused.  

Sorry, admitting my ignorance; guess this is where my observations come and get back at me. I'm just a listener, not a musician; on the other hand, thanks for laying down some more artists to listen to! 

Yeah, thanks everyone for these posts! 

I really like how all of you phrased your thoughts on this! Sorry, JSngry for the confusion I started!