Mosaic to release 1960s Freddie Hubbard set

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

The mastering of the Henderson and Mobley sets were so good that these are my ‘go to’ on CD for this material - and I’m spinning CD a fair bit these days. On that basis I’ll very likely go for this set. The new Black and White set might get the priority though.

I agree about the mastering, more than a 'subtle upgrade' to my ears on my system.

13 hours ago, felser said:

The last box set I bought from them was the Clifford Jordan Strata-East in 2013 (and I bought dozens from them in their heyday), and my only other purchase from them since then is the Charles Tolliver All-Stars CD in 2019, so I'm well past the expiration date of feeling compelled to buy things from them to support their work.   They aren't ever going to do the Bill Barron, the Hutcherson/Land, or any of those other sets we dream of no matter how many boxes of recycled BN's we buy from them.  I much prefer the original cover art on the BN single CD's, part of the "magic" of the BN ownership experience for me.  More meaningful to me than a slight sonic upgrade and a new essay I may never get around to reading.  Just me, I realize.

That Clifford set has turned into a nice investment. Current value according to Discogs:

Lowest:    $80.99
Median:    $140.00
Highest:    $199.99

8 hours ago, BFrank said:

That Clifford set has turned into a nice investment. Current value according to Discogs:

Lowest:    $80.99
Median:    $140.00
Highest:    $199.99

My heirs can sell it.  It's a keeper for me.

I fear that I lack Mr. Felser's unfailing good judgement. I too own and really like those Freddie Hubbard Blue Note and Impulse! records, and doubt that collating them and adding an essay will affect my enjoyment and understanding of them. The "improved sound" and "all in one place" arguments are not as convincing as they were before I purchased the more recent Hank Mobley box or Joe Henderson sets.  Strangely, I will, in all likelihood, purchase this collection.

And that max is much less than what it tends to be listed for. I couldn't afford it when it came out, but I was extremely lucky to find one pretty close to the original price a couple years ago. Very vital set, and exactly what I wish they would (or could) do more of.

On 7/21/2022 at 11:13 AM, Jim Duckworth said:

I fear that I lack Mr. Felser's unfailing good judgement. I too own and really like those Freddie Hubbard Blue Note and Impulse! records, and doubt that collating them and adding an essay will affect my enjoyment and understanding of them. The "improved sound" and "all in one place" arguments are not as convincing as they were before I purchased the more recent Hank Mobley box or Joe Henderson sets.  Strangely, I will, in all likelihood, purchase this collection.

LOL!

I wonder if they do much market research?  I always thought this forum (for better or for worse) was a representative sampling of the jazz cd buying public and they're doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for this set here.   I've never been on the Hoffman forum; do they display much different taste?

... Speaking of Argo, how about this?

The Complete Kenny Burrell on Argo/Cadet (Leader & Sideman)
************************************************************************************
- The Kenny Burrell Trio - A Night at The Vanguard (1960)                
- Milt Buckner - Mighty High (1960)
- Hank Jones, Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton, Elvin Jones - Here's Love (1963)            
- Budd Johnson - French Cookin' (1963)
- Illinois Jacquet - The Message (1963)
- Illinois Jacquet - Desert Winds (1964)
- Jean DuShon - Feeling Good ‎(1965)            
- Kenny Burrell - The Tender Gender (1966)
- Kenny Burrell - Have Yourself a Soulful Little Christmas (1966)
- Kenny Burrell - Ode to 52nd Street (1967)

I'd buy it.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:27 PM, medjuck said:

I wonder if they do much market research?  I always thought this forum (for better or for worse) was a representative sampling of the jazz cd buying public and they're doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for this set here.   I've never been on the Hoffman forum; do they display much different taste?

There are two jazz threads on the Hoffman forum, one that is most active that I started years ago, and an older one that has been withering over the last few years. Some of the members here are posters there, and many others. There is a wide variety of tastes represented. So far there is little discussion of this upcoming set, either favorably or non-favorably.

36 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

As there is a cheapo set with four CDs I don't see that coming .... 

MDktNzU5NS5qcGVn.jpeg

I have this.  Disc 3, with Cookin' The Blues and Another Bag, sounds awful.  To replace them, I downloaded from Amazon the two titles (instead of Cookin', I d/l At The Jazz Workshop, which is Cookin' plus additional cuts).

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

... Speaking of Argo, how about this?

The Complete Kenny Burrell on Argo/Cadet (Leader & Sideman)
************************************************************************************
- The Kenny Burrell Trio - A Night at The Vanguard (1960)                
- Milt Buckner - Mighty High (1960)
- Hank Jones, Kenny Burrell, Milt Hinton, Elvin Jones - Here's Love (1963)            
- Budd Johnson - French Cookin' (1963)
- Illinois Jacquet - The Message (1963)
- Illinois Jacquet - Desert Winds (1964)
- Jean DuShon - Feeling Good ‎(1965)            
- Kenny Burrell - The Tender Gender (1966)
- Kenny Burrell - Have Yourself a Soulful Little Christmas (1966)
- Kenny Burrell - Ode to 52nd Street (1967)

I'd buy it.

This would work for me on every level.

• 1 month later...