Screenshot 2022-09-01 102429.jpg

Yeah, they were both on the standard CD reissue of Blue Spirits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Spirits?wprov=sfti1

6. "The Melting Pot" - 7:36 Bonus track on CD

7. "True Colors" - 9:53 Bonus track on CD

Tracks 6-7

• Freddie Hubbard - trumpet
  • Joe Henderson - tenor saxophone
  • Hosea Taylor - alto saxophone (6), bassoon (7).
  • Herbie Hancock - piano (6), harpsichord (7).
  • Reggie Workman - bass
  • Elvin Jones - drums

Notes: On the CD reissue of Blue Spirits, track 7 is listed as Hancock performing on the celeste, although it sounds like a harpsichord.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Ordered.  I'm looking forward to it.  I wonder if Blumenthal's notes will address why Hubbard did side projects for Impulse.

I miss Mosaic Selects.  A perfect one would have been Hubbard on Atlantic.  5 or 6 albums: Backlash, High Blues Pressure, A Soul Experiment, The Black Angel, Sing Me A Song Of Songmy, and maybe Sweet Return.

24 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Ordered.  I'm looking forward to it.  I wonder if Blumenthal's notes will address why Hubbard did side projects for Impulse.

I miss Mosaic Selects.  A perfect one would have been Hubbard on Atlantic.  5 or 6 albums: Backlash, High Blues Pressure, A Soul Experiment, The Black Angel, Sing Me A Song Of Songmy, and maybe Sweet Return.

That Atlantic I'd buy.

I'm only missing Goin' Up but I went for this set anyway. I too am interested in the sonic improvements which I thought were noticeable on the second Mobley and Henderson sets. I sold a lot of my original Blue Note titles and replaced them with the RVGs...the audio quality being variable. I'm not an audiophile per se but having this material with top notch sound and a certain uniformity/consistency appeals to me. There is also the support Mosaic thing. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them do some more sets like this with other Blue Note artists they haven't previously given the treatment too. The stately box, the top notch booklet. My only lament thus far on this set is the absence of a pre-order discount. 

Although I have all of this, I will get it for the aforementioned reasons - booklet, sound quality.  Glad to see the are including the two Impulse lps - I have always loved The Artistry and the inclusion  of John Gilmore is a nice touch.  Something about this one seems apart from the Blue Notes - can’t place it really.

Glad they are leaving out the live sides - what a disappointment they are, particularly in view of the players.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Interesting.  I gave Mosaic my credit card #, and they charged me for the purchase.  In the past, they only charged when they shipped.  I hope I don't wind up being charged twice.

My charge just shows as pending. What I find interesting is that I did not receive a confirmation email for my order. I also had to set up a new account. I'm surprised that they couldn't roll over customer information into their new system. I don't think that that is a hard thing to do in 2022.

Edited by greggery peccary

15 minutes ago, greggery peccary said:

My charge just shows as pending. What I find interesting is that I did not receive a confirmation for an email for my order. I also had to set up a new account. I'm surprised that they couldn't roll over customer information into their new system. I don't think that that is a hard thing to do in 2022.

It’s not that hard, but it might have been an added expense (to Mosaic) to do that — I’m just wildly guessing — and perhaps they felt the added expense wasn’t worth it (especially if there were data quality issues with their old system).

To be clear, I completely *agree* it shouldn’t have been that hard (and shouldn’t have cost extra) — but there’s no telling how the company that they bought (or ‘rent’) their new system charges for things (and data-conversion could have been an ‘a la Carter’ expense they had an opportunity to avoid).

Given their margins, anything’s possible.

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

Interesting.  I gave Mosaic my credit card #, and they charged me for the purchase.  In the past, they only charged when they shipped.  I hope I don't wind up being charged twice.

With the Black & White set they had an issue where they had to ask customers who had pre=ordered to recharge their cards as the first charge had "timed out." Perhaps they are charging immediately and also taking orders and shipping so soon to circumvent those problems for customers and Mosaic.

Edited by jazzbo