Mosaic to release 1960s Freddie Hubbard set

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Call me gullible I guess.  I do have all but one of these albums on CD.  Actually, one of the biggest reasons I ordered it was to support the brand.  I've gotten a lot from Mosaic over the last 30 years or so and I don't mind giving a little back.  And I'm sure I'll be getting a great sounding set with great liner notes.  In a few years I'll probably have to think twice about dropping a hundred bucks on a boxed set, but right now I can do it. 

Edited by trane123

12 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

I got one of those too. But what does "being processed" mean?! Do you think they're actually going to ship the thing more or less on time?!

Same here.  I took that to mean, yes, shipping will be soon.  Step one, acknowledge the order, step two, fulfill.  But they could have been more clear.

Yeah, I receive their Jazz Gazette email and they mentioned it is shipping this week.

I bought a bunch of these in the early 80s in either the “white note” or “black note” configuration.  Sound - due to the quality of my turntable most likely - was sometimes sketchy, but I really grew to enjoy these records.  Liked the tunes, liked the sidemen and I enjoy the sound of his playing.  I agree he had some wonderful contemporaneous sideman dates, but those don’t diminish his BN leader dates.

I do have the Artistry Of on an original Impulse lp (something you might find used in the early 80s) and really dig that one - maybe more so than the BNs.

I find it amazing they are still in business.  As mentioned, they have curiously passed on the vinyl revival and it’s not like libraries are buying copies anymore.  Still wish they had the stones to do something like the Bill Barron set or tap into more obscure modern jazz.  Probably too late for them to turn the vinyl spigot back on, although I would think it would drive sales.

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Wow--they sure are getting this one out in record time!

I think they're figuring out Marketing 101.  Don't promise and, with constant delays, seem incompetent.  Instead, assemble it confidentially and then offer immediate gratification.  I'm also impressed they got this out in time for the Christmas gift season.

The only title from this set I’m missing is The Body & The Soul, his second Impulse date.  Hasn’t been an urgency to get for the last 20 years, but maybe I’ll run across a cheap used CD of it sometime (or the two-fer that pairs both his Impulse dates — can’t remember if they both fit on one CD, or if that’s a 2cd two-fer).